cuzza

Hi, as I've been lurking on here for a few weeks researching fishing spots etc. I though i should probably join up and introduce myself.

I've just moved to Oakville from the Southampton in the UK with my wife having taken a job as an engineer.

I've been a fishermen for the best part of 20 years and have dabbled in most things available over there, from pole fishing canals in the middle of winter through fly fishing for trout to a spot of sea fishing - things seem a lot different over here , different fish, methods and terminology (took me a while to work out what being "skunked" was :)) but fishing is still fishing! :) Looking forward to going after some bass and getting back into fly fishing once the elbow I messed up lugging boxes while we were packing is better as well as anything else that's on offer.

Have been looking around locally for spots to fish and thought I'd give Bronte Harbour a go one evening to get back into it and Lions Valley Park looks quite fishy in places. Was also thinking of giving some of the Halton Conservation places a try but they seem to get mixed reviews on here. I don't have much spare time for long trips at the moment with sorting stuff after moving but they'll come later :) If there's anywhere I'm missing, please let me know.

Look forward to seeing some of you on the bank :)

Richard

i havent been by there in a while, but the last time i was there (a couple of weeks ago at least) lions valley park was still closed due to the construction on dundas. when it is open theres a few pools in there that hold some smallmouth that can be fun on lighter spinning gear. dont hesitate to give oakville harbour and 16 mile creek a shot as well. the mouth of the river at oakville harbour is right at lakeshore just before you get into downtown, by the library there. you can park at the oakville GO station (south parking lot) and cross the street and take the path that leads to the river where you can wade for smallmouth as well. plenty of spots around town.

ryan

oh yeah, welcome to the board!

Welcome aboard Richard and welcome to Canada!

You should get yourself a bunch of spoons and hit Oakville and Bronte harbour. You'll stand a good chance of hooking into a Chinook very soon as they're starting close in on the river mouths. You're luck will increase if you're into fishing at night. Nice easy way to fish with minimal gear required.

If nothing else, it's cool to hang out on the piers and watch those giants jumping right in front of you. Very cool.

Thanks guys - will probably hit Bronte this evening now all my gear is unpacked B)

Mike - Chinook sound good, is that one in your avatar? Probably a stupid question but to a Brit, a salmon is a salmon (not that I've ever caught one), we're not lucky enough to have variety!

Thanks guys - will probably hit Bronte this evening now all my gear is unpacked B)

Mike - Chinook sound good, is that one in your avatar? Probably a stupid question but to a Brit, a salmon is a salmon (not that I've ever caught one), we're not lucky enough to have variety!

No such thing as a supid question Richard! It's actually a Rainbow Trout( aka Steelhead )caught in the Niagara region in the winter time.

Were ya able to make it out to Bronte last night?

Nice fish Mike!

Yeah, made it to Bronte last night - nothing doing but was a nice night just to be out by the water, also discovered I need some heavier lures to get better distance :rolleyes: . Saw one salmon jump (on the opposite side from me of course!!!), no-one else was catching either which made me feel a bit better!!!