Wooden Crank bait - NF.... well sort of....

Leecher

After coming back from CTC this morning and buying another load of fishing tackle for the up coming trip to my sister's cottage, got thinking about the prices of lures and how expensive they are and thought I could copy my favorite crank bait and make a wooden one.

Well I started right away with this idea that I could carve it out with a knife and I did try for the longest time but the results were not even close to what I had anticipated..... So I went down to the basement and got my band saw and trace the contour of the lure onto a piece of pine wood and got busy.....

Well let me tell ya that after cutting the piece of wood on the saw, the results was a real joy.... Had to hand sand the piece for a few hours to my likings and truly like the end results. Here is the piece that I made.... it looks very similar to a BigO with some modifications and will call this one " a wooden plug " as I do not have a name for it yet LOL

IMGP1997.jpg

and again different angle

IMGP1998.jpg

I still have to paint it and varnish it for the trial run this upcoming weekend and hope that I can finish it in time.

Hope you enjoy!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Good job.

Will it dive with the wooden bill? I used to whittle topwater baits out of pine when I was at the cottage in my downtime. The flatfish imitations always did well for us.

My only suggestion is putting a couple of hooks on, for counter-balance purposes and also just to hook more fish.

Should be fun trying to catch a fish on something you made yourself. Good Luck!

My suggestion for a name: The Little Woody. :whistling:

Thanks Jocko.... but I think I'll keep "wooden plug" for now ;) Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup_anim:

Good job.

Will it dive with the wooden bill? I used to whittle topwater baits out of pine when I was at the cottage in my downtime. The flatfish imitations always did well for us.

My only suggestion is putting a couple of hooks on, for counter-balance purposes and also just to hook more fish.

Thanks Rich.... don't know if it will dive.... will be trying it this up coming weekend. but I think it will, it's got a big enough bill... just like the real thing.

I will report back with the results

Leechman

Jacques,

You have an opportunity here to test the theory about it being the movement that catches the fish over the pattern painted on the lure. Give it a go with no paint and see what happens. You could single handedly change the way that we all think about fishing (and destroy the lure making industry).

Looks like a fun project anyway you go.

Jim

Should be fun trying to catch a fish on something you made yourself. Good Luck!

My suggestion for a name: The Little Woody. :whistling:

Save that name fer yer first musky lure.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!!! This weekend will be the true test and just can't wait :D

Looks Good Leechman

What are you going to use for a ring to tie your line to?--Are you going with a small eyescrew into the body or something through the bill.

Are you painting it White?

Bushart

Bushart I will be using the eyescrew type into the top of the head for tying the line to and will be painting it white which is my favorite color.

***** UPDATE *****

Got to the painting stage this morning and by the time I finished, my mom drop by for a visit for the afternoon and stayed for supper. Could not come on line to post this update. Here is the final product as far as it goes

All dressed up and ready for a good test after a couple of white coats and varnish....

IMGP1999.jpg

another angle

IMGP2000.jpg

I truly like the end results....

Hope you enjoy!

Leechman

Nice looking work there Leechman!

An uncle used to make his musky lures. Caught one of his biggest ones on one that was natural wood color varnished.

There is another guy on here that makes his own musky lures, very nice ones too.....right Roy?

Nice looking work there Leechman!

An uncle used to make his musky lures. Caught one of his biggest ones on one that was natural wood color varnished.

There is another guy on here that makes his own musky lures, very nice ones too.....right Roy?

Thanks Bernie :thumbsup_anim: Now I just have to try it this coming weekend.... Have confidence that it will work just like a real BigO would B)

I thought I would've needed some lead in it to help stabilize it but after this trial, no need for it :D

Will report back later with the results!!!

Leechman

Excellent work Jacques!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you would give Norm Abrams a run for his money in the wood shop! ;)

... as for the name, I like "Bite My Wood"!!!

Thanks Glen :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah the "New Yankee Workshop" is one of my favorite shows!!!

Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated and noted!

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Jaques put me up for an order of 10 of those woodies!

the wife told me i need them! :wallbash:

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Great work BTW

cant wait to see how They worked out!

jaques isnt there a hook in the back usualy???

Thanks Kev :thumbsup_anim: Let me test it first and then will talk production LOL

Yes there's usually a couple of sets of treble hooks on them but wanted to make one with just one set. Sometimes bass will inhale the lure when they strike and get the two treble inside their mouth, just want to avoid this and keep it simple.

Will report back on the results later on!!!

Jacques

Awesome job hope your field testing is on a lake with no pike or musky lol. Would hate to loose that on the first cast or snag on something lol. Well you got many names for the bait. How about The Dirty lure Company as your company name lol.

Edited by Henry Nguyen

Thanks Henry :thumbsup_anim:

The first cast will be close to the cottage on the shoreline where the smb lives!!!

I think this lure will perform to what I expect it to do and if I hook into a fish.... that would be awesome B)

Thanks also for your suggestion, it's duly noted

Leechman

neat project. hope to see a report with some fish caught on your creation.

Thanks Dr. Salvelinus :thumbsup_anim:

All I hope is when I cast it out (I know it floats well) that when I start the retrieve, that it behaves like the real thing.... as for catching a fish.... well that would be bonus :D

Fish or no fish.... will be reporting of the outcome :canadian:

Leechman