Left my favourite rod/reel behind at the creek

splashhopper

I went fishing with my buddy, thinking we were going for some Top-water action for bass.

Along the way, we stopped at a little brook I found a couple of weeks ago. I knew he likes fishing for brookies and decided to share the spot with him.

We fished for about 90 minutes. He caught two nice speckled trout..(pics later) and a ton of chubbs.

We kept a dozen of the larger chubs and changed plans from bass fishing to pike fishing on another river.

In our haste to get to the pike hole... i left my 10.5 rod and shimano reel on the creek shore... I was carrying my minnow bucket up a very slippery slope and was gonna go back down and grab the reel.

NOT>.... my adhd kicks in and we leave without the gear. :wallbash:

This morning, I go out to my local pond for some top-water action.... need my fix!

I open the van to grab my rods.... no 10.5 rod( throws spinners great if the top water isn't producing)

My mind is racing.... where did I leave it yesterday? :blink:

Jumped back in the van and and decide to re-trace my steps from yesterday... saying a little prayer to "the fishing gods" for guidance of where to look.

I get a second coffee at Timmies.... and in the middle of the drive-thru... the "big ah-ha" moment happens....

it's gotta be at the brookie creek.. Why wouldn't it be.. it's only a 90 minute drive back up there..

Took my time and drove up some more back roads....

Got to the hole... and slid down the WET slippery slope... damned near broke my leg in a hole I didn't see.

But there was my gear... :clapping:

I decided to go the original bass hole we were gonna try yesterday and walked in the 15 minute hike..

Only got a couple of real small smallies and one thick crappie.... but..I had the river to myself... :rolleyes:

My day was good... the fishing gods gave me a break... :clapping:

Note to self for next time... bring the gear up first.. and the minnow bucket last !!!

What is your story of lost/returned fishing gear ?

Splashhopper

dropped me Digital Rapala fish scale at Scugog at port perry once...walked from the spot...then at the end of the trip i reached into my pocket for my scale and....uhoh, i ran to the location i was at(alongside a path) and i found it...out in the open, luckily nobody took/saw it.

Left my favourite crappie/perch float fishing combo on shore up near Orillia once when I unloaded my boat. This spot is not a true boat launch but it does get alot of foot traffic from locals walking there dogs. When I got home to Oshawa I noticed it was not in the car.

Booted it back up to Orillia...75-80 minute drive...and my stuff was still there :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: That was sweet!!!

Nope... not so lucky here.

Used to be that a friend and I shore-fished the tail-race of the Horwood Dam, an hour west of Timmins. We got a good catch of pickerel and when we packed up to leave, I somehow (don't ask me how) left without my tackle box, which was sitting on some machinery on top of the dam. I guess between the stringers of fish, landing nets, packsacks and lunches, rods and reels I just plain forgot. I didn't realize what had happened until we got home. So, another hour's drive back out there, and the tackle box was gone. In the intervening two hours, somebody had taken it.

Even though I had my name and number on it, I never got that box back. Some guy must have thought he really lucked out. It cost me a lot to replace that box and its contents. I've been very careful never to let anything like that happen again.

I'm still waiting to see. I left my favorite rod and reel in a friends boat last summer.

They took out what they thought was my rod and left for Ohio early in the morning.

I asked another guy to look for it when he got home, and he said he couldn't find it. They boat will be back here next month so here's me with my fingers crossed.

a fellow fisherman on lake temagami had lost a rod and gave me some basic (terrible) directions to it. as luck would have it i found it right away on my first dive, in this back bay. while i was down there i catch a gleam and find a zippo lighter. i return the rod to the guy, he tips me 20$. the outfitter sees me playing with lighter and says - thats mine i lost it over the side over a year ago. pretty remarkable considering temagami is 50 miles long.

Found a pair of H2Optix polarized glasses I lost fishing a steelhead river........a year later.

Took them off to land last fish of the day, hiked back to the car and it was already getting dark when I start the car and realize I don't have my glasses. Crap. Next year I'm fishing the same stretch and there they are, still hanging off the same cedar. Atleast I know I have a real secret spot :D

My dad lost my Rod and reel I Lent ,while trolling the Petawawa River when it snagged a rock and landed in the Drink. A few seconds later I thought I had a hit but it was his line that I caught. I would Later give him that Rod and Reel as a gift. RIP Pops!

I love to drift backwards while canoeing the Saugeen, I know I catch more fish by doing that, I was drifting and casting along a shore that has smallies most of the time there are rocks and just before a set of rapids a big log in the water, I laid a perfect cast I thought but my lure hooked 2 rods out of the back of the canoe and landed them on the bottom of the river 1 was my Calcutta I was not impressed, water was about 4 ft deep and dirty enough I couldn't see bottom & fast enough I couldn't hope my self there, this happened on a saturday on wednesday after I borrowed a buddies electric motor, tide a treble hook on and redrifted the area, the water was cleaner and not as fast when I thought I was close to the spot I looked over the side & hooked both rods hit the electric and trolled back to the car :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: very happy

Richard

Not quite the same but I remember as a kid, when we'd rent a cottage or cabin, how much of a thrill it was to do some shallow diving (my kids used to call it "goggling") and find lures hung up on underwater logs and snags. My dad used to give me a dime or a quarter for every serviceable one I found --- big money in those days! I'm not sure if he didn't hang up one or two cheap ones himself just to let me find 'em.

Edited by Jocko

I kicked a rod and reel off the boat in 30 ft of water on gull lake in 1993. In 2000 I was jigging that same area and hooked what I thought was a tree branch I asked my buddy , ya suppose thats my rod and reel , we laughed but thats what it was.

well i while back i left my camera a timmies called up they said they had it, went there they ended giving it to a guy in toronto, well a couple days later they call me up and say they got my camera back and i got both the camera, case and rechargable batteries back

I left a gerber multitool at a lake, only about 15 feet off of the highway, didn't realize i lost it until 2 days layer, it was a popular fishing spot, but i went back as soon as i noticed, that was about 7 years ago, and im happy to say i still have it.