Carnivorous fish

dannyboy

Looks very much like a pickerel with a weird tail.

No way a 27-incher would weigh 17 lb. But it could still have a hell of a bite!

Yeah, 8 pounds would seem more reasonable than 8 kilos... Maybe they double converted from metric to imperial.

I herd that a muskie bit a little girls toe's in peterborough. She was dangling her feet in the water. This was years ago though. Muskie have also been known to attack poodles. Anyone else hear this?

these stories are an annual thing.....I've never cared to confirm if any are true or not...but I suspect that more than a few of them probably have some truth behind them....

I've witnessed musky taking down ducklings and goslings quite a few times....in my experiences I personally believe that when a musky reaches trophy proportions and are at the top of their food chain they seem to become pretty curious critters....I've had the same musky, season after season, come check me out when I'm wet wading.....literally within 10' of me at times, sometimes popping her eyes out of the water, similar to a gator.....she'd would immediately cruise towards me after she realized i was in her "turf", back off and then pretty much just circle around me at varying distances.....

I lost a lot of smallies this way....lol....I wouldn't exactly say a fish is ever "intelligent" but this big girl picked up on me fishing as providing her an easy meal.....

and no, I never landed her....hooked her a few times but never when i was targetting her.....

....I've had the same musky, season after season, come check me out when I'm wet wading.....literally within 10' of me at times, sometimes popping her eyes out of the water, similar to a gator.....she'd would immediately cruise towards me after she realized i was in her "turf", back off and then pretty much just circle around me at varying distances.....

I'd be outa there so fast I'd leave a vapor trail. :D

Sharing the shallows with a big curious toothy critter ain't my idea of fun!

she had a very definitive home range...I saw her every season 4 yrs straight...she became my white whale....ha....I hooked into her a few times but never when i was targetting her with proper gear or at least a leader.

it was a fairly small system so i didn't share my knowledge of her with too many people...but I wasn't the only one who knew of her....a local canoeist knew exactly where to find her too and looked for her on the water....she was a monster and apparently wasn't too shy of people on the water.

first time I saw her cruising towards me like a missile was a fun experience...aka what the hell!!!, back pedal and then slipped and on my ass, head under the water...LOL...I doubt she'd ever have attacked me unless I was threatening her on her nest....

on another occasion I had my feet dangling over the edge of our boat in the water, looked down and saw a snapper a few feet below....different opinion there, my feet were out ASAP!!!!!

"suspected the fish was suffering from a hormonal imbalance"

Does that mean I can harpoon my wife if she starts biting me??

To avoid any kind of trouble you'd need to call MNR and animal control folks to do it for you.

To avoid any kind of trouble you'd need to call MNR and animal control folks to do it for you.

MNR take to long to get back to you! I'd be dead by then. The wife has a nasty bite.

...she was a monster and apparently wasn't too shy of people on the water.

If I was with you I'd be tempted to stick around and enjoy the experience. Plus I think that with a little incentive I could probably run faster than you! :D

on another occasion I had my feet dangling over the edge of our boat in the water, looked down and saw a snapper a few feet below....different opinion there, my feet were out ASAP!!!!!

Yup, different altogether. And if your toe didn't come off some of those buggers could actually take a good shot at dragging you under the water. I've seen some big ones.