whats your set up for river salmon fishing

chuckymcd

Hey everyone,

I am wondering what everyone uses to catch river salmon in the fall i have never caught one but i want to get into it this year,

i was thinking of floating 6 or 8 lb line with flourcarbon leader with small split shots spaced about 1 foot apart, with roe as the bait.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated

have a great week!

FNS

You got the idea! :D I got into "Float Fishing" this past Spring - MAN IS IT FUN!! Now I understand why FLOAT FISHING is the way to go... You can literally feel all the headshakes the fish does!!

The idea is....

10'ft - 15'ft Float Rod

Float Reel (If you're serious about it)

and...

Split Shotting Technique/Rig

If you send me an email to [email protected] - I can send you a .PDF file (that was recently shared on the forums here) that'll explain to you the different styles and techniques of Split Shotting.

Good Luck & TightLines!

RoB

PS: Checkout FloatFishing.Net - Good place to look for some used Equip.

Edited by A2F

I have several different methods :

when the salmon are first comming in i use a 10.6 Fenwick/ABU spinning reel/ 8 # test

as the season moves on i switch to 15' Float rod/Shefield float reel/ straight 6 # test on 8 # backer ( can run lighter leaders as the water requires)

When the bows start comming in i switch to 13' StCroix/ steamside float reel/ 6 # test ( early)

As the bows begin to pile up...9'Fenwick 7w fly rod /Martin fly reel

As the water starts freeze i go back to the StCroix setup ...

This is the second Salmon run post in a couple of weeks....now im going to be wishing the summer away

As for detailed set ups ....the water dictates what you must do ....long/short leaders...# test leaders/...colour/size of bags/flies etc....

Welcome to the board and Good Luck

Edited by Twocoda

Rig up a longer, fast action rod with glo spoons & cranks and head down to river mouths & estuaries when the gun metal kings are first coming in. Leave the river boots to guys who can't hack big fish when they're prime..........y'know, pinheads :D

After your first 100 yard run drifting a 10' wide pool just doesn't do it.

FOAM EAR PLUG, CIRCLE HOOK, COUPLE OF SPLITSHOTS ABOUT A FOOT UP. CAST IT OUT AND SIT BACK AND RELAX

YOU CANT GET ANY LESS COMPLICATED THEN THAT

This is how ive fished them in the river since I was a kid and will continue to do so till Im a frail old man

FOAM EAR PLUG, CIRCLE HOOK, COUPLE OF SPLITSHOTS ABOUT A FOOT UP. CAST IT OUT AND SIT BACK AND RELAX

This is how ive fished them in the river since I was a kid and will continue to do so till Im a frail old man

:jerry:

You're all jokes Pete. Was that you I saw at the Credit last fall chucking and ducking with a surf rod??!! B)

If ya wanna be sporty and swing a fly rod through the runs, might I suggest the same sorta scenario, but with a booby fly instead of a circle hook and ear plug... Boobies were originaly created in the UK for loch style brown trout fishing, but work well with fresh aggressive salmon just in.. They look like a wolley bugger, but with a distinct feature: foam eyes attached at the head.

Add a couple shot to your leader about a 24in above the fly (add shot according to speed and depth), and it will swim just within strike range. A good technique to working this fly, or any other for that matter, is to cast downstream at a 45 degree angle, and at the end of your swing, strip the fly back slowly towards you with your rod tip down just above the water. That's called a downstream swing if I remember correctly. Walk a couple steps downstream and repeat the process if you're working bigger water.

I've fooled many a chiny this way, and it's a bit more sporting and less sketchy...

cheers

HD

:devil:Several ounces of split-shot & 3 big trebles, about 15" apart on 30 pound test line seem to work pretty good for some people. See 'em doin' it all the time in the eastern tribs . . . best results are got wile casting across spawning areas . . . . . . DIS-LEGAL?? You don't say, eh? :angel:

:devil:Several ounces of split-shot & 3 big trebles, about 15" apart on 30 pound test line seem to work pretty good for some people. See 'em doin' it all the time in the eastern tribs . . . best results are got wile casting across spawning areas . . . . . . DIS-LEGAL?? You don't say, eh? :angel:

what about the big boat nets and rubber boots and then chase the hell out of them <_<:o

seen that before, except people i saw were more passionate about fishing and were throwing stones in water to make the fish move in the pool and get tangled on their rigs on the downrigger rods.

Edited by efka