Clear Water Carp & Largie Action

Happy Saturday!

It's been a while since I've posted.... nobody bothered to mention just how much more work 2 KIDS are compared to 1!? Boy did you guys drop the ball on that one! ;)

Anyways, last night we had a fire in the back-yard and of course myself and my sister-in-law's boyfriend decided to pound back a case of beer..... GREAT idea the night before our planned 5:30 a.m. fishing trip.

DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0474.jpg

DSCF0481.jpg

5:15 a.m. came way to fast, but I hadn't touched a rod in 2 weeks, so I painfully dragged my butt out of bed, tossed back a couple of Tylenol's and headed down to the road to pick up Jason...

DSCF0502.jpg

Forecasts were calling for thundershowers and high winds so we opted not to fish Lake Erie. The plan was to hit Deer Creek for largies, and BIG carp! My carp spot is at the far end of the lake so on our way down we hit a couple of bass spots, and caught a bunch of these little clones. They were all caught on wacky rigs.

DSCF0530.jpg

My carp spot is a big carp fisherman's heaven and HELL all wrapped up into one. I found this little inlet, which is littered with fallen tree's and the carp group up in there all summer. The problem lies in that once you hook into one, you better be quick, because hauling a 20lb carp out of the wood isn't as easy feat.

Anyways, we chummed the wood pile, rigged with 50lb Stren Sonic Braid and corn that was cut from last nights cobs. Within 5 minutes Jason hooked and lost his first ever big carp. He only had the fish on for a few seconds, but that was enough to get the blood flowing!

Shortly after I was up, and was able to subdue this beast!!!

DSCF0511.jpg

Dave hooked me up with a new to me Shimano Chronarch / Crucial combo last week, and this brute was my first fish on the new combo. THANKS DAVE! She held out great!

DSCF0515.jpg

The Release

DSCF0516.jpg

Jason was up next, and what an EPIC battle! haha he hooks this big carp, which instantly heads for the deep trees, wraps him around the main trunk and into some branches.... I still don't know how he did it, but he was able to get the fish free from everything and out into open water. You had to be there to believe it.... what an awesome sight.

DSCF0519.jpg

And the underwater release shots

DSCF0522.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

As soon as his fish was released the rain started hamering down on us and the carp bite died right off.

DSCF0525.jpg

DSCF0528.jpg

On our way back to the launch we managed a few more largies, this time fishing Chigger Craws, and though they were a little bigger than our morning fish, they still weren't giants.

DSCF0539.jpg

DSCF0507.jpg

All in all, a great morning on the water. Jason caught his first ever big carp, and though our bass were on the smaller side, they made up for it in numbers. Time to hang up the sticks until next weekend.

Tomorrow - Toronto Zoo with my wife and kids.

Cheers,

Ryan

For anyone wishing to check out Ryan's carp spot, DO NOT ask him to draw you a map! He'll send you somewhere else! LOL

Nice to see you finally landed some there buddy, beauties!

dude you've gotta fix your phone! I was trying to get ahold of you all day friday!

....and don't hate about the map just because you didn't catch any! :lol:

Great Fish!

BTW i thought i told you about the 2 kids vs one... ah well looks like you are managing them just fine

Yeah. The maintenance factor increases geometrically. That's why we stopped at two. I was afraid of the double jeopardy factor kickin' in - a third one to maintain (which is about 4 times as tuff as 2, which is about 3 times as tuff as one - plus the fact that we mighta had a girl, and then I'd have had to kill too many horny little teenagers as the girl sprouted. Two boys is perfect - ya just sit back and proudly smile and say "Atsa my boy".

With girls you say "Atsa my girl" but the intonation and underlying intent are diametrically opposed.

Those of you who survived raising girls have my undying respect. Don't get me wrong. I love girls. But that's really the problem. So do all those horny little Lotharios who hang around them. And I still remember what I was like in my teens. I shoulda been named Woody. ;)

JF

Yeah. The maintenance factor increases geometrically. That's why we stopped at two. I was afraid of the double jeopardy factor kickin' in - a third one to maintain (which is about 4 times as tuff as 2, which is about 3 times as tuff as one - plus the fact that we mighta had a girl, and then I'd have had to kill too many horny little teenagers as the girl sprouted. Two boys is perfect - ya just sit back and proudly smile and say "Atsa my boy".

With girls you say "Atsa my girl" but the intonation and underlying intent are diametrically opposed.

Those of you who survived raising girls have my undying respect. Don't get me wrong. I love girls. But that's really the problem. So do all those horny little Lotharios who hang around them. And I still remember what I was like in my teens. I shoulda been named Woody. ;)

JF

:lol:

Those are some of the best looking carp I have ever seen. Nice scales, very clean and healthy. It sure is a carper's heaven in there.

ha, the middle finger :P:D

DSCF0515.jpg

Nice report Ryan, it'll be tough getting through these few days just waiting for next weekend to come.

Great Fish!

BTW i thought i told you about the 2 kids vs one... ah well looks like you are managing them just fine

Thanks dude - I'd have to say my wife in managing them just fine. She was nice enough to take care of them saturday morning while I was out slaying fish. B)

JF

John...er...I mean WOODY - I'll let you know in about 10 years wether or not I'm going to survive.\

where do you launch for deer creek - in the conservation area?

Yeah, there's nowhere else to launch really. And they only charge 10 bucks for the day, just like any other launch, but there's a beach, picnic area's, out-houses haha...

Those are some of the best looking carp I have ever seen. Nice scales, very clean and healthy. It sure is a carper's heaven in there.

ha, the middle finger :P:D

DSCF0515.jpg

Nice report Ryan, it'll be tough getting through these few days just waiting for next weekend to come.

Yeah man - very nice looking fish for sure...it's the first time I actually managed to boat one from that lake and I'll be going back again soon for sure. Hold in there, before you know it you'll be kickin' back waiting for the bite.

Nice report and pics Ryan...Good to see a post from you....

Im still dreaming of the those erie smallies bro....

Take care

TDunn

Hey Buddy - I've kept an eye out for your reports. Some solid fishin' up where you are. Keep them comin'.

Anybody have weight estimate on a fish like that? Mine was 31 inches (same length as my net handle) but it had a pretty solid gut on it to. I've caught a few in lake ontario that were longer, but much skinnier.

cheers,

Ryan

With carp it's hard to estimate their weight based on length, some are much fatter than others while some are just long and lean, also there are some who has big shoulders. Judging by your photos, I'd say 18-22lbs... I can be way off though.

Very noice!!

Tanya's parents are reading this right now... They luuuuvvv carp. They say healthy specimens like those would make great table fare.

I feel another cold carp dish coming up.. mm mmmm GAG.

Great looking water though. Must be nice!

cheers!

HD