Torontor Star "Great Lake Fish Report: Watch What You Eat"

I'mHooked

Read this today as well. Too bad, was hoping there would have been some significant improvements in the Great Lakes.

I would hope people follow the safe eating guide but I assume many do not. I would not eat a carp ever (just a personal preference) and would not eat a lake trout out of Lake O no matter how small it was.

Sherriff

The report is pretty biased. There is another article put out by Canada Press that has info from MOE and OFAH.

Canada Press Story

Anglers should take a look at the MOE Guide and they will find out that there are A LOT of fish suitable for eating from the Great Lakes and the Inland waters. Encouraging Government to keep sending money to continue the clean up of the Great Lakes is good but they should be able to do it without spreading half truths about Ontario's fish and scaring people away from enjoying a healthy meal.

Keep the small ones for the pan and let the bigger ones go.

100_4195.jpg

Edited by Jon Boat

More media hype and more blame fools running around screaming "the sky is falling" :P

Truth is there is a certain minute quantity of natural toxins and heavy metals in every morsel we eat. Then you can add in all the noxious man made stuff we've smothered the planet in. There is no species, animal or plant, that is 100% clean. Science has also redefined the safe tolerance levels a few times over the past 50 years. We used to talk of parts per million, but now we often talk of parts per billion or trillion. What was safe then is potentially lethal now.

Grin and bear it, or starve. You cannot avoid it. That is reality

I'd eat the fish out of Great Slave as well Drifter but be careful, don't be so smug. There's a reason the Yellowknife residents don't get their drinking water from the lake. You get your water from the Yellowknife river, a few miles away. The roasting process that removed gold from arsenopyrite rock sent tons of arsenic trioxide and sulphur dioxide into the air.

This stuff was shut down in the late 90's and what they were able to capture, about a quarter of a million tons of arsenic trioxide is now stored underground, no more than 200 yards from the lake. That ain't a good sign Drifter.

They're studying it now. Man will do some pretty nasty things for a dollar.

Yep, the all mighty buck speaks volumes. :angry:

They are putting all that garbage at the bottom of the mine which is a heck of a lot safer than doing anything else with it.

The area affected is only the tinyest portion of the lake though, unlike the Great Lakes with their over developemnt and pollution.

The grayling have even started coming back to Backer Creek since the mine shut down and the cleanup started.

There have also been lakers caught in Yellowknife Bay in the last couple of years, so the cleanup is having a positive effect.