Horwood Lake Report

Dano

Well I decided it was time for another spring trip, I hadnt had one in a couple of years and the last one was disappointing to say the least. This time however it was going to be different, I was going to bring my gal Fern with me instead of the usual suspects and it was her first trip of this type. I booked a week at Horwood Lake Lodge for the two of us not thinking of the Lakair gig....doh! Oh well, I thought we could pop in on our way home as it coincided with the Saturday we were finished. Saturday however, turned out to be wet so we just kept on trucking south, I hope everyone had a good time.

We arrived on Saturday afternoon, it took us about 8 hours to get there, a relaxing scenic drive too, its usually dark when I head up this way so it was pleasant to see it in the daylight. Here is Fern unpacking the food, the cabin was clean and comfortable and had been recently re-done. Joe, the new owner of the camp is a great guy, actually all the people at the camp were very helpful and friendly, Gary (who knows TJ and had some good tales...lol), Bill and Michelle, thank you all for helping make this trip a success. We went with the housekeeping option but I took Fern out for dinner at the lodge one night for prime rib, it was delicious....pretty sweet to have that option! One of the reasons I picked Horwood was their pet friendly policy so I was also able to bring my buddy Beau, which was a real treat for both of us.

gallery_42_14_22480.jpg

The first day was wet and cool/windy and made for some tough fishing, we got into them nevertheless. Here is Fern with her first walleye ever, caught on a jig and gulp minnow.

gallery_42_14_22266.jpg

And here she is with her first ever pike on the first day as well, not too bad a start!

gallery_42_14_7698.jpg

A personal best for me, the smallest walleye I have ever caught :D ....

gallery_42_14_93979.jpg

The ubiquitous sunset shots....

gallery_42_14_43059.jpg

gallery_42_14_63741.jpg

Its a beautiful lake, sheer granite cliffs rise from the water in parts, it has a fair number of feeder streams/rivers, shoals, humps, shallow flats, deep flats, all kinds of bottom composition, standing dead wood, more structure than you can imagine. We travelled this lake a lot and probably put 400km on the boat just cruising around checking out spots we'd find on the depthfinder. We also saw a moose with calf and a yearling black bear that took off like a shot as soon as it realized we were there.

Fern says this looks like a giant Coca Cola water fall. :lol:

gallery_42_14_38173.jpg

One thing about this body of water, it seems when the evening is calm, all kinds of logs make their way out into the lake, I couldnt believe it the first day I saw it, here is what it looked like on several mornings, we called it the Spanish Armada....coming home at night it was difficult to see them the way the light played on the water, I made sure to unlock the motor so it would kick up if we hit a semi submerged one.

gallery_42_14_44717.jpg

Fern and I (mostly Fern) pulled a big log out that had great big steel spikes sticking out of it, this thing was lethal, here is a shot of it on the dock at night, if you hit this, it would hole your boat for sure :o .

gallery_42_14_11913.jpg

The lodge had great little boats too, 16' Mirro Craft with 20 hp 4 stroke Yammies, here is ours at night.

gallery_42_14_33737.jpg

The fishing was OK, we never got into any big ones, but if you worked, you could catch walleye all day, we had three stable high pressure days that really got the fish going, we were catching them in 30 ft of water all day long. We used plastics exclusively, no bait.There are a fair number of cottages on this lake which surprised me but its big enough or early enough in the season that we never felt crowded, there is tons of water to fish and the walleye, at least the eating sized ones arent hard to find.

Fern also caught a small little eye, these tough guys crack me up...

gallery_42_14_54499.jpg

It was a real treat having my buddy Beau come up with us, I was taking a bit of a chance as he had never been in a boat before. I brought up a life jacket for him just in case, it has a handle on it you can grab to lift the dog back into the boat. He was perfect in the boat and had a great time. We set up a shade area in the boat for him and had fun going to shore with him when he (and we) needed to attend to business..

Back on land, he figured out how to open the cabin door to let himself out and in and came and went as he pleased for the most part, visiting the other cabins at the appropriate times for free hand outs and head scratches.

gallery_42_14_111141.jpg

Heading back to the cabin on the first night with two of the most favourite things in my life.

gallery_42_14_15245.jpg

Hard to believe no one wanted him.

gallery_42_14_41690.jpg

Umm Lloyd, as per your phone message no offense, but if I have a chance to look at this in a boat all day....

gallery_42_14_21380.jpg

:wub:

gallery_42_14_100467.jpg

or this.....

gallery_42_223_83183.jpg

pretty much a no brainer, sorry buddy...it doesnt mean I dont love ya....and to prove it, here's one for you! (note the hat....) :lol:

gallery_42_14_37711.jpg

A night shot of the bay off our deck, pretty much all the cabins have nice water views.

gallery_42_14_33993.jpg

All in all a wonderful holiday. Thanks for thaking the time to read my report.

I couldn't help but notice you didn't post any pictures of the supposed bigger walleye you caught.... ^_^

And I couldnt help but notice you need to improve your reading comprehension skills..... <_<

The fishing was OK, we never got into any big ones

Any questions champ?

Great report dano. Sometimes it all about the fishing. What are you doing to that poor dog?

lol, no worries glen, just using him as cover. No animals were harmed or abused during the making of this report....

Terry...lol

solo, yea, I forgot to mention it is a resorvoir.

Edited by Dano

Nice Dano... really nice...!

My brother has a buddy who's family has had a cottage on Horwood. He's been going for a long time. They mostly use minnows caught in their trap and yes, he says the same thing... the place is littered with small pickereyes.

The pics are great, well, except the one with Lloyd in it!

Glad you had a great time and thanks for the report!

HH

Way to go, Dano!!! Awesome report...nice scenery...and the lake looks nice too ;) I've been wanting to fish Horwood for a long time....never knew about the crazy logs though...wow!

Did you fish much near the coca-cola waterfalls? I've heard it's supposed to be a pretty good spot

Way to go, Dano!!! Awesome report...nice scenery...and the lake looks nice too ;) I've been wanting to fish Horwood for a long time....never knew about the crazy logs though...wow!

Did you fish much near the coca-cola waterfalls? I've heard it's supposed to be a pretty good spot

No we didnt fish it but thats where the bigger fish were coming from. We explored the area and even went to shore to walk around the falls, it is very pretty but it is also a sanctuary untill June 15th. I certainly wasnt gunning for a trophy, just a couple of meals so I was happy to leave the bigger ones alone there. :)

See my avatar, if I want trophys, I go with my buddies, Lloyd who owns u & me guide service, Wayne and Terry.

Edited by Dano

• 3 weeks later...