24 Hour Muskie Marathon

mepps

The other day, my wife asked me what I wanted for Fathers Day and my reply was simple. I want to catch a muskie. Of course, you all know that is easier said then done...

Living in Nova Scotia makes somewhat hard to find muskie, impossible in fact, there are none. Luckily for me Fredericton, New Brunswick is only 4.5 hours away, and there are some big muskie being caught (www.muskiesnb.ca). I had made plans to meet up with Derek Rowe of Muskies Canada in the afternoon, but seeing as that this was one of my few days I have all to myself, I decided to make a full day of it. 24 hours.

I left Halifax shortly after midnight. I had tried to get some sleep, but the combination of a splitting headache and visions of grandeur kept me awake. I figured I may as well start driving because I wont be sleeping any time soon. The drive was perfect, hardly a car on the road. I got into Fredericton around 4:30 am and made my way to the north launch. I made my first cast with the sunrise at 5am and didnt stop until the sun was starting to set.

I started on foot and walked the shoreline near the launch. Started at one bridge, and made my way to the other and beyond. I used spinner baits in the shallow water, and switched it up to a 10 inch Suick (sucker pattern) in the deeper areas. Had plenty of follows...from bass and perch, but no muskie. I managed to get a nice size chain pickerel, but that was it.

I grabbed a bite to eat around noon and then broke out the bass gear for an hour to give my arms a rest from casting muskie lures. Met Derek at the launch around quarter to 4pm and we quickly raced up river. Finally some good looking muskie territory!

My selection of muskie lures is pretty small right now. I left most of it back in Ontario because I didnt know I'd be muskie fishing when I moved out east! I only had lures that are considered small in the world of muskie fishing (7-8 inches) The larger lures that I had recently made and intended to use were both lost to snags while shore fishing. After one look at Derek's lure selection I knew these Eastern beauties wanted a bigger snack. After about 30 minutes of casting my own lures, Derek suggested I try one of his - within minutes, his advise paid off, a 34 inch beauty, my first NB muskie!

clive-muskie.jpg

The first thing I noticed with these NB fish is that their girth, this 34 incher had a bigger girth then the Jack Lake and Scugog muskie I used to catch in Ontario

Shortly after this fish was boated, it was Dereks turn. He made sure he wasn't going to be outdone, and landed this big girl that was just shy of 40 inches with a 19 inch girth!

derek-muskie.jpg

After he caught his fish we moved down river. Then it began to rain. Then the wind picked up. The fishing slowed down, but Derek took this time to give me some great tips and shared some of his serious knowledge of the river. Its a whole new world fishing a big river for muskie! We ended the day back near the spot where the fish were caught earlier. The rain had stopped and the wind was almost gone, but no more fish were caught so we called it a day shortly before 9. I jumped in the car and made may way home in the dark, another 4.5 hours.

My stats for the day:

Time spent driving: 9 hours

Total distance driven: 900+ km

Distance on foot: 6 km

Time spent fishing: 15 hours

Number of lures lost: 2

Number of blisters: 1

Number of perch caught: 5

Number of chain pickerel caught: 1

Number of bass caught: 1

Number of muskie caught: 1

Number of casts: 10001

Time spent sleeping: 0 hours

Mission accomplished.

Edited by mepps

Awesome stats breakdown...persistence and confidence obviously paid off! Pretty slick looking musky...very green. And talk about girth...their heads look too small for their bodies :) Thanks for the great report!

There are some big fish to be had in the Saint John river, last years biggest reported catch was 52"x27" - and just minute from downtown Fredericton!

Definitely bring the boat Brian, but be warned fishing on a river this big is really tough! The guy who took me out is a guide!

Yeah Roy, the limits here are ridiculous!

10 muskie - size 10cm -170cm (thats 66.9 inches!)

Also, no license is needed in this area because it is considered tidal water. The water level changes dramatically with the tides coming in from the Bay of Fundyy.

Edited by mepps