Fisherpete & Fisherpat's June Kawarthas Trip

Fisherpete

Well, our second annual June fishing trip has come and gone. It was a great week, despite some poor weather for the first five days. We had eight amazing days of good food and drink, tons of fishing time and fresh air. Balsam (4 days), Dalrymple (2 days) and Rice (2 days, but never left the dock - didn't have to!) were the lakes of choice this time. The final big fish tally:

Fisherpete - total 39

Muskie landed = 0

Muskie hooked/lost = 1 (mid 30's fish on a figure eight)

Muskie follows = 3 (and one was the biggest I have ever seen, high 40's+)

Walleye = 10

SM bass = 3

LM bass = 9

Pike = 14

Carp = 2

Panfish - 1* (we only counted panfish over the OFAH award minimum size - I caught a PB 9.5" bluegill)

Fisherpat - total 20, but really the champ due to musky being king!

Muskie landed = 2 (24" and 36", no pic of the 36" as it jumped out of the cradle after unhooking!)

Muskie hooked/lost = 0

Muskie follows = 2 (one small, one mid 40's class fish)

Walleye = 3

SM bass = 3

LM bass = 5

Pike = 7

Carp = 2

The two of us are true casters, jigging and trolling just does not keep us interested for very long. Of all the time we spent on the water, maybe 3 or 4 hours in total was spent trolling. The same goes for jigging, I have no problem doing it in the winter through the ice, but give me open water and I just have to chuck lures all day!

There were a few really nice bass caught, and they actually came from deep water so I doubt they were spawning, but out of respect for the whole OOS issue I won't post any of them. I still find it incredible that a 19" largemouth will nail a 10" believer, or a huge bucktail. Shy they ain't!

Anyways, enjoy the pics - we sure had fun in the making and taking of them.

First fish of the trip, a nice walleye. All 15 walleye caught on the trip were in the slot size for Balsam, so no yummy Chronzy-style shore lunches :(

DSCN1182.jpg

Another.

DSCN1184.jpg

Pike time... no true biggies, but lots in the 22-25" range, and some fought like champs.

DSCN1190.jpg

Pat gets his first pike of the trip.

DSCN1202.jpg

Another for me. Notice a theme with the rain gear? Didn't hurt the fishing or dampen our spirits though.

DSCN1205.jpg

Nice walleye by Pat.

DSCN1212.jpg

A few more walleyes by me to close out the evening.

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1220.jpg

DSCN1222.jpg

DSCN1223.jpg

Time for some more Pike action... I was on fire on this day, 12 pike over 6 hours, 11 of them coming in the final 1.5! Pat got five for the day.

DSCN1224.jpg

A deer came by the shore to say hello, not shy of us at all.

DSCN1225.jpg

DSCN1226.jpg

DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1235.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1249.jpg

Nice sunset on this night.

DSCN1255.jpg

Pat's second muskie, 24". The cast before this guy followed right to the side of the boat. Next cast, he SMASHED the lure.

DSCN1257.jpg

Walleyes came out to play, despite bluebird skies and glassy water.

DSCN1260.jpg

DSCN1261.jpg

DSCN1268.jpg

DSCN1275.jpg

Final sunset at Balsam before heading to Rice.

DSCN1270.jpg

Our target at Rice was carp, and at my cottage you don't even have to leave the dock. Throw out some corn and wait, and ye shall soon be rewarded! Anyone who hasn't yet caught a carp - TRY IT. These things fight harder than you can imagine! The kids had a blast with the panfish right off the dock as well, Rice is perhaps one of the best places to bring the little ones as the action is constant, and the sunfish are pretty big too! I hit the first two carp within minutes of getting there, a 28" and a 32.5". The second one fought like a freight train for a good ten minutes, screaming drag off my Stradic making long runs.

DSCN1277.jpg

DSCN1279.jpg

My son Nick and his friend Justin had a blast in the little tinny with my minn kota hooked up to the back. They stayed close to the dock, and caught piles of sunfish.

DSCN1282.jpg

Justin's sister Chrystal was quite the little fishergirl!

DSCN1283.jpg

I had some fun with the sunfish on the ultralight. Amazing colours on the various species of sunfish.

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1292.jpg

Pat gets his first carp, 28.5".

DSCN1296.jpg

Nick with a sunny.

DSCN1298.jpg

Chrystal with one.

DSCN1299.jpg

Pat with carp #2, a 29".

DSCN1300.jpg

Next fishing holiday - first week of July! Bass better beware, and hopefully a muskie will grace my line.

Edited by Fisherpete

I too am a casting machine.

When my brother in-law and I go on our fishing trip we must make a million cast by the end of it.

We're good for about 30 minutes of trolling a day and the same for jigging.

There's nothing better then finding structure and placing that perfect cast to be

rewarded with a good size fish.