GULP!

tmleafs26

Hey guys,

So I have heard some good stories on the new GULP fishing tackle that comes in those plastic jars or pails.

I personally have not bought any, but would like to know what you guys think of it and if it's worth the $20 or so?

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy them? I live in Mississauga.

I am going fishing up to Gogama in August and the lake is filled with pike, walleye and smallies...Which of the GULP tackle do you recommend if any at all?

What's the best/most common GULP product?

Any tips or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Peace

Lebaron in markham had them on sale about a week or two ago for 16.xx for a small bucket. Definitely worth it, but the only problem is that gulp alive does not come in pearl silver, which is my favourite colour for it.

As for rigging, probably a jighead + gulp is more than sufficient for smallies and pike. If you want to put it in a dropshot, use a dropshot hook instead.

Gulp 4" minnows on a jig head or drop shot rig. I like the chartruese and pumpkinseed colors. We do well with them in temagami.

Leeches also can be run on the back of a worm harness or jig.

Jerk Shads 'll work good for the pike but you can probably spend less just buying the zoom flukes with same results

I've been carrying around this leaky tub of Gulp Alive Minnows for about a year now. I bought it as a replacement for real minnows when they weren't available or affordable.

Although it's been convenient not having to stop for fresh bait each trip and the Gulp Alive Minnows are reusable, I will not purchase any more until they fix the container problem. Everything that I use for fishing stinks of this stuff...my car, my kayak, my clothes and my tackle.

Oh yea, I caught far more fish on the drier Gulp soft baits that come in packages.

I've been carrying around this leaky tub of Gulp Alive Minnows for about a year now. I bought it as a replacement for real minnows when they weren't available or affordable.

Although it's been convenient not having to stop for fresh bait each trip and the Gulp Alive Minnows are reusable, I will not purchase any more until they fix the container problem. Everything that I use for fishing stinks of this stuff...my car, my kayak, my clothes and my tackle.

Oh yea, I caught far more fish on the drier Gulp soft baits that come in packages.

Here is a tip for your leaky gulp tub, use a Zip Lock bag!:)

Edited by Bigfisherman

I used GULP 3" Black Shad Minnows in the package (not the bucket) last night. I switched to them when i realized we got ripped off in our live bait purchase (they were the smallest "medium dace" I've ever seen. So I ran a 3" clack shad on the end of my Walleye spinners. caught 3 on that compared to 4 on live bait....tuff call. I think the stuff works. I'll continue testing it out.

i personaly love the gulp alive, and have been "testing them out" havnt tried every single one yet as they can get pretty pricey.... but when im out just wanting to catch a fish.. doesnt matter what kind i preffer to throw the 3'' minnow grub.. normaly in a pearl white.. catch anything from panfish , to 4+lb smallies.. walleye , pike and musky ..

and hey even my girl friend uses them (she baught her own tub) .. and she still catches plenty !

as for the "leaky container problem"..

id recommend if you buy them in the tub instead of pealing the seal off. take an exacto knife.. and cut a little X in the top.. as well as get a wide elastic band and put it just beneith the threads on the container.. (works 10x's better... BUT try and keep it upright .. cuz it may still leak a tiny bit .... just not nearly as much as it would

Or ... you could just change the container? lol

I have three tubs of Gulp Alive, 4 inch minnow , leach and a white grub with a double tail. I think they work better or equal to live bait with out the hassle. Keeping live bait is a pain and with the restrictions we now have, it's just much easier.

The leaky tub thing can be a bit of a problem, i used mine leaving the tin foil lid on and only cutting a small hole in it, but then i found some small skippy peanut butter jars that fit better in my tackle bag and they dont leak. I have room now for 4 skippy jars in the front pouch....the next decision will be what gulp is next ?

I had great luck with them last summer for bass. I used the larger size leeches, (bought the tub), and fished them using a single hook and split shot a little way up the line. Terrific bait.

Edited by backbay

Sorry no time to read the other responses, so I may be covering someone else's post.

I love the gulp alive products. The tubes are more economical and fairly convenient, but do leak, I use zip top bags.

To start maybe just get some gulp in the zip bags. That would let you try a few more styles and colours before getting a bucket. The bags are a lot more handy if you are shore fishing or are concerned about weight.

All it took was a little bit of encouragement and shaming from OFC members to get me to dump my remaining Gulp Alive Minnows and juice into a used peanut butter container that I had washed out. It was a joy to throw out the old bucket and stinky bags that it was wrapped in. The new container seems to be air tight and leak proof.

Thanks all!

Gulp Alive 3" Minnows have done me well fished on a circle hook and split shot. Generally use this for small bass, rockbass, and perch seem to like it a lot. Also, I myself will try to fish these 5" leeches i got on a drop shot or something...very good looking baits.

Edit*

I recommended just purchasing them in the package rather the container. Unless you want frequent leaks and the added weight then just get the regular Gulp products.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I have three tubs of Gulp Alive, 4 inch minnow , leach and a white grub with a double tail. I think they work better or equal to live bait with out the hassle. Keeping live bait is a pain and with the restrictions we now have, it's just much easier.

The leaky tub thing can be a bit of a problem, i used mine leaving the tin foil lid on and only cutting a small hole in it, but then i found some small skippy peanut butter jars that fit better in my tackle bag and they dont leak. I have room now for 4 skippy jars in the front pouch....the next decision will be what gulp is next ?

Well i answered my question, I added these today after a trip to Angling Outfitters in Woodstock today.

9f7f9d140e00af1b670ef5c2f1ea7e32.jpg

NEW Berkley® Gulp!® Alive!™ 6" Fltg. Nightcrawler

I also picked up a small jar of Berkley Tip Baits

1a0e71f03c4b89501b1faf3f10e27a8a.jpg

Berkley® Power® Glowing Tip Bait

I had never seen them before, they looked like they might have some interesting possibilities, anyone else use them?

I guess i will find out tomorrow if they work

Edited by IndySKS

I got a combo bucket with 3” minnows and leeches black and pumpkin seed I think.

They worked great on a gin clear lake we fished, we caught a boat load of rock bass. It out fished night crawlers 4 to 1, my Daughter caught one that was only about an inch longer than the minnow. And the best thing you can dip it and recharge it, catch multiple fish on the same bait.

I agree about the leaky container, but the peanut butter jar is a great solution to the problem.

Jeff.

Just another update from my GULP experiences (if anyone actually cares). Me and the old man went out fro fathers day walleye, took nothing but 10 or so worms and a package of black/white shad and chartreuse GULP minnows. I brought in over 8 Walleye including my biggest in a long time (not sure on weight but it was 21") and he brough in around 3 or 4 on the GULP and a few on worms.

f1e0kg.jpg