Carpin' at the Kawarthas

Victor

Headed up to the Kawarthas with wolfville on Saturday for the first time this year, wolfville brought his kids along so we had a relatively late start, fished from 9am-5pm. For the first 2 hours it was really slow, nothing much happening other than the occasional line bump. We decided to move about 100m away from where we were and we were rewarded. All in all, wolfville managed over 15 fish and I got around 8 (and i lost around 5, my streak of losing fish just continues :( ). Wolfville got 2x26s and my biggest of the day was just over 20.

Here's one of wolfville's 26.

IMG_4794.jpg

My biggest of the day @ 20.

IMG_4797.jpg

Another good one by wolfville, not sure if this was the other 26, sometimes it's so hard to tell from all the pics which one is which.

IMG_4800.jpg

This one was REALLY FAT and short. I was suprised that it only came in at 18lbs.

IMG_4803b.jpg

And I saved the best for last...

This guy came over from the UK for a 2 week carping excusion, he has been here for a couple days and unfortunately hasn't been catching too many. I was hoping he would be catching more seeing how he paid big bucks to come over here. Just before we had to go home, the fish just turned on all of a sudden and I was into one, then wolfville's rod went, the UK guy's rod went, and his mate who's fishing 20m away from us also got into a fish. A quadriple header, I don't think I'll ever see/be part of that again. And What's more amusing, the UK guy hooked into this ... a 25lb mirror.

IMG_4811.jpg

I was just speechless, to him it's not a big deal (a good sized fish of course, but the mirror is nothing really special for him). I haven't been carping for long but that's the biggest mirror I have seen/heard of. (Please do share guys if you know of a bigger one, I'd love to see a pic of it) Now that i think back I should have taken a pic of the other side of the fish as well.

It sucks sitting here now in front of lecture notes and homework, just can't wait to get back out there.

Till next time ...

Good shooting, and good call to move. Sat in the same spot at Eastport over the weekend for four hours without a solid take........move 50 yards down and started hitting fish.

That's a gorgeous mirror, but I think the largest I've heard of was caught by Shaun from Urban Outdoor Adventures a few years ago, 35ish or so.

Wait.....am I getting excited by a carp report, aw crap.

Nice fish Guy's ......

Excuse my ignorance ,, what do you mean by Mirror :unsure: :unsure:

Mirror Carp have no/or just a few scales, the rest is leathery shin... correct me if I'm wrong Carpers!

Excellent report and pics Victor!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Some of those fish are absolutely obese!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Can you eat these carp?

It's a fish lol so of course you can, just a matter if you want to or not. Personally I don't eat carp, but even if I am to eat one, I wouldn't eat one of that size, too much toxins built up in the bigger ones.

Mirror Carp have no/or just a few scales, the rest is leathery shin... correct me if I'm wrong Carpers!

Excellent report and pics Victor!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Some of those fish are absolutely obese!!!

Yup you got it right Glen, it's just a gene variation with the "regular" Common carp.

It's a fish lol so of course you can, just a matter if you want to or not. Personally I don't eat carp, but even if I am to eat one, I wouldn't eat one of that size, too much toxins built up in the bigger ones.

True enough. I wonder whether anyone here has tried carp. After having eaten freshwater drum that put the lie to everything I'd heard about them (i.e. you can't eat them cause they don't taste any good), I'm just curious.

Even if you can't eat them, they'd still be a blast to catch, especially the size you got. I assume that if you can't eat them they went back into the water after the photo ops?

True enough. I wonder whether anyone here has tried carp. After having eaten freshwater drum that put the lie to everything I'd heard about them (i.e. you can't eat them cause they don't taste any good), I'm just curious.

Even if you can't eat them, they'd still be a blast to catch, especially the size you got. I assume that if you can't eat them they went back into the water after the photo ops?

To each of their own I guess, carp is considered to be a delicacy for some europeans/asian after all.

Yup, all of them were released to grow bigger and to be caught by me again :P

To each of their own I guess, carp is considered to be a delicacy for some europeans/asian after all.

I shudder to think what some people consider delicacies. Things that of course won't kill you if you eat them --- although a few, improperly prepared, have been known to do that too!

Not to say that carp is in that class, but I wonder if carp, to Canadian tastes, is a good eating fish.

It would be interesting if someone here who has eaten carp would chime in.

I was invited to dinner at a Jewish couples place when I was a young lad after I had given them a ten pounder I had caught off the causeway at Lake Scugog...

The lady had stuffed it (like a turkey) and baked it in the oven...tasted like fish to me !

Edited by Beans

nice fish

I will never understand why the MNR doesn't call them a sport fish

Terry, they do list carp as sport fish, you can also check the email from MNR stating this here.

Victor, it was nice fishing with you, we'll have to do it again soon if your GF doesn't mind ;-)

I've eaten a carp before!

A small one, about 18" long. It was very good tasting. Very tender meat. This was back 10 years ago, on the Maitland river, in Huron county. Good clean fish.

I bow fish for carp in Simcoe in the early summer. Last year we hammered a 33lb carp. Definitely wouldn't eat that size of carp.

If my aim is on this year, I'm going to try to shoot a small one for a meal. I have a friend from Belarus, who loves to eat carp. I'm planning on letting him cook it up, and compare the taste of the carp from Simcoe, to the carp from Belarus. Like you guys where saying, it's a delicacy over there. Very common to eat.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Well done to the both of you. Dying to get up to a few swims in the Kawarthas. Depending on whether I can get a car, hopefully I can make it up there very soon.

That's a beauty mirror too. Last year I saw 6 decent sized mirrors come from that swim in one day by 2 anglers...There's hope for you Vic. Here's hoping you get a mirror as fat and jiggly as the one I got last year in New York :lol: