To John F, Stratford

Jonny

Hi John F. I see in your profile you're in Stratford. My wife and I just got back from a three day stay in Stratford and area. Beautiful town and countryside!

When we went through Wellsley and picked up some apple butter, we saw Mennonite buggies tied up along a fence line. They were fishing a creek/river just south of the town. Any idea what they were fishing for?

I'm guessing speckles? I'm not at all familiar with the area and I'm just curious.

P5212286__1024x768_low.jpg

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

Hard to tell by your pictures but the top end of the Nith river runs through the area near Wellesley. At this time of year there is a sucker run through the river. Also some pike and panfish. Bass are also in the river and open a little later in the year.

Damn, you're right.

I tried to post earlier today and the board was not working for me, then later when I went back I typed "John L" instead of "John F".

I changed it, thanks.

Pike,

Thats whats in there....

Lot "O" bass too but out of season just yet.

I fish the Nith now and then, and have run into a few good Mennonite folk fishing old school bobbers and minnows looking for a feed of Pike.

The others have probably nailed it. We don't see trout above Stratford, at least not that close. If you go just a bit south and east of Stratford you'll find the trout, or at least so I'm told. I've often thought I should head over Wellesley way to try some of the creeks. To be honest I'm not certain what I'd find fishwise. Generally we have carp, suckers, pike, and lots of smallmouth bass with just enuf little bitty cats to say we got 'em.

JF

It would be interesting to know if any of them have a licence. Maybe someone familiar with the area and the situation should let the MNR know so they can pay them a visit.

Now why would they ahave a fishing license? :huh:

most of the ones i know don't have Social Insurance Numbers :o

Thanks, gents! Curiosity satisfied.

I think I recognize the spot in your pic. I'll have to check it out to see what might be in there. :D

We came out of Baden (Castle Kilbride) heading west, turned north at a high school, stayed on that highway toward Wellesley. Just as you come around a corner and you can see Wellesley just up ahead (some kind of lumber yard or the like sticks out in my mind), you cross this creek/river. The Mennonites were fishing just on either side of the bridge.

---

EDIT - as far as siccing a CO on them, I don't know about that. Seems a little extreme considering the way they live. I'm thinking thre's probably a balance struck there already? You guys familiar with the area would know better, of course.

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

Thanks, gents! Curiosity satisfied.

We came out of Baden (Castle Kilbride) heading west, turned north at a high school, stayed on that highway toward Wellesley. Just as you come around a corner and you can see Wellesley just up ahead (some kind of lumber yard or the like sticks out in my mind), you cross this creek/river. The Mennonites were fishing just on either side of the bridge.

I know the area. I'll check it out. Mebbe those boys have a honey hole in there. :D

JF

I've fished that bridge and many others over the Nith river. I believe they are fishing for pike. There are bass and carp as well as some perch. A buddy of mine once caught a 33" pike from under that very bridge.

I was fishing the Conestoga river in Macton once when a C.O. came by and started checking everyone for their license. There were about a dozen people fishing for pike on both sides of the river. After checking eight people they left without checking the mennonite family of 4 fishing right beside me.

After checking eight people they left without checking the mennonite family of 4 fishing right beside me.

I guess they've established a "modus operandi" well in the past. :)

Having a CO hassle these people is the last thing I would want to see! They live a simple life and should not be bothered.

NOW, as for the one "redneck" buggy there with the automobile seats on a huge platform.....that there is a feat of engineering! LOL These folks would definitely be leaning towards "new order"! (Kinda bordering on "trailer trash"!!

exactly

Does anyone know a CO local to that area?

Most Mennonite's in my area fish during open seasons and they are mostly kids that I see,I wouldn't be to concerned about it. Probably canning suckers anyway. B)

Laws are laws boys, whether a certain group of people want to recognize them or not. Everyone of the appropriate age should have to buy a licence and abide by the catch and possession limits, I don't give care who you are, or how you live your life.

If indeed they are catching pike, I wonder how many limits they have at home canned or otherwise.

Laws are laws boys, whether a certain group of people want to recognize them or not. Everyone of the appropriate age should have to buy a licence and abide by the catch and possession limits, I don't give care who you are, or how you live your life.

If indeed they are catching pike, I wonder how many limits they have at home canned or otherwise.

I guarantee they have far less impact on the environment than 99.9% of the people on this board. If anything they should be coming after us for all the useless waste and pollution that we generate which has far more effect on fish populations. Just let these people be...

I guarantee they have far less impact on the environment than 99.9% of the people on this board. If anything they should be coming after us for all the useless waste and pollution that we generate which has far more effect on fish populations. Just let these people be...

horse crap

laws are laws and we are/should all be equal under them

I totally agree, they are lighter on the environment than anyone. Let them do their thing.