Nipissing White Bass

Jonny

Tons, Tons, Tons,........... they're all over the North Shore of Nipissing right now....just getting off spawn and on their way out back to deep water.... you can catch them all you want at the Government Dock in Sturgeon and all down the Sturgeon River... buckets full.

I've caught them in the winter while fishing deeper 40+ feet ... and can often be caught in the Walleye holes come fall...

Actually you should be able to get them in The Little Sturgeon River and Laronde Creek.

Randy From Sturgeon

:canadian:

They taste is fine! We fried one up and enjoyed it.

I checked a resource I have - a book called "Freshwater Fishes of Canada" by WB Scott and Ed Crossman (Ed was a director of the OFAH during some of the same years that I was, very knowledgeable gentleman) - and there was a commercial fishery in Ontario for white bass. In 1965 the total catch, mostly out of Lake Erie, was 2,700,000 pounds! By 1968 that had dropped to 800,000 lb. I have no idea whether the fishery still exists.

I caught a 17" off of the government pier a few years ago when I was up there along with a few smaller ones. I also caught 15 pike that day and lost a pile more -- why did I only bring my ultra-light...? The walleye bite at dusk was pretty good too with a bunch of sheephead inbetween.

abut 5 or 6 years ago i was out by the manitoo islands july 1st it was so hot no wind, we couldnt get anything to bite at all and to make things worse the mayfly hatch was in full swing. If you have ever been on the lake when there is a hatch it looks like huge 50yd clumps of weeds floating on the water. Well this day for some reason triggered a feeding frenzy, to give you an idea we caught about 300 white bass in about an hour. we were even catching them with a hook and no bait, it was wild

after i was at billy bobs bait store and telling some locals about it and there was a musky fishermen there that said it is the best time to cast around the edges of the feeding frenzy for big musky or pike. i guess it triggers them to feed seeing all the activity of these white bass feeding.

But anyway yeah there are millions of them in nip.

Cheers!

"Millions in Nip".

Could be, but they don't get caught much, it seems, except in the spring when they come in to shallower water and rivers to spawn.

I've been checking my reference book (mentioned above) and it says they are schooling fish, stay in deep water areas during the summer, but they tend to stay in the upper 20 feet of water. If they tend to suspend that might be the reason they are less likely to be caught in the summer.

Mayflies are mentioned as a favourite food.

They also move a lot, according to studies which show they move up to 7 miles a day.

Who knows, at times when you're making a hi-speed run with the boat and the depth finder shows a "cloud", you might have passed over a school of white bass?

Edited by Jocko Point Jonny

And for someone who has fished for over 30 years in the south shore area of the lake:

I have never caught one nor have I seen one caught in Nipissing. Location, location, location.

Well what do you know???

First fish out of Nipissing this year...

IMGP0076.jpg

Second...

IMGP0077.jpg

Tasted good. Those were the only 2 white bass that were caught.

Now about that 15lb walleye and 55 inch musky that I have never caught in Nipissing... :whistling:

• 5 years later...

And for someone who has fished for over 30 years in the south shore area of the lake:

I have never caught one nor have I seen one caught in Nipissing. Location, location, location.

Well what do you know???

First fish out of Nipissing this year...

IMGP0076.jpg

Tasted good. Those were the only 2 white bass that were caught.

Now about that 15lb walleye and 55 inch musky that I have never caught in Nipissing... whistling.gif

And I haven't seen one since.

Edited by kickingfrog

We call them Silver Bass here on Erie. They were in by the thousands at the Hydro plant at Nanticoke in April until they shut it down. They would hit a bare jig when they were in, nothing but the jig was needed. They were getting bigger every year. Lately they will hit when fishing for suspended Walleye here.

Fresh they are as good as Smallies, they will start to turn after 24 hours, day 3 they are crap. Frozen they are crap. Eat as soon as caught.

Thanks Joe. I went to sturgeon river, just beside the marina, but nothing was got, even a bite. My friend went there on Saturday and got two white bass.

I drove along the river to nipissing. I tried to rent a boat to fish in the river, but the marina owner told me there's no white bass right now.

I just confused,normally the white bass should be here a week after Victoria day, when the fish will come this year?

mmexport1432604110387.jpg

Edited by JustFish