Bagged my FIRST EVER Salmon this morning!!!!

A couple weeks ago I purchased a sonar unit from Kijjiji and drove up to Brantford to pick it up. There I met a nice skipper who is strictly a troller. so we traded fish stories. Me on my Nippising and Erie adventures and he on his Ontario and Quinte excursions. He showed me his rig and is he set up...Had this shallow water under 10lb capt. salivating over his equip.

Any way, he politely asks if I am interested in going out for some fresh water sharks...Well, as you can imagine my eyes lit up and my mouth dropped and I eagerly accepted. So I purchased the fishfinder and went home daydreaming the whole way..

So Thursday I check my email and there he is asking me if I was in for a sail on Sat. morning...Excitedly I accept and we meet at Oakville launch at 5:00 am this morning...

We launched and started heading SW toward the west shore. At about 100 FOW he asks me to take the wheel while he sets us up...The tension builds as we start markin' hooks and lots of them at around 130'FOW. They were ranging from 40' to right on the bottom....As I held course and we reached about 145 FOW I glanced back and noticed at the same time as Scooter did that the starboard side dipsy diver was dancin hard....Well, as you can imagine we both yelled " FISH ON " and he was on the tailin rod like lightning. by the time I was off my seat he was handing me the rod...She put up a nice fight and was a bit of a head shaker as I cautiously persuaded her in. The stories of many being lost was ringin through my head as the line was getting closer to the boat. As the diver rose out of the water, I stepped back and smoothly guided my FIRST EVER SALMON (Coho) into the waiting net.....

Wheew!!!! What a rush... I was like a kid who just got a new bike....I was texting my wife the good news and she said she could tell just from my texting I was excited...She was under under 10 lb my usual...LOL But she was still my FIRST catch of the year so I feel blessed and as this is just the beginning, I am looking forward to this season...

We were runnin all depths from 40' to 10' off the bottom and half plugs and half spoons. She fired on a chartruesse/black spotted spoon on a diver approx. 50' down....

As I am not up on the tackle used I apologize for the laim description....I am just a small timer who just got his feet wet in an awesome way...

tight lines y'all

Will

100_3182.jpg

Edited by Nippissinger

Thanx guys...Yes I was and still am happy about it all. she tasted pretty good also....

Yes the lake was the calmest I have ever fished on her. I have had some extreme calm conditions but mainly mid summer...

It was so calm the swallows were skimmin around catchin bugs....It was a stellar day and I am sure one to remember for a very long time...

Gonna try my luck for wally this weekend on

erie if conditions are good...

Will definitely report back on that venture...

tight lines y'all

Will

Fred is a great guy!! Been out with him many times and it's always a blast...

Salmon rock, i told myself i'd never buy downriggers for the boat, My cousin and buddy went halfs on an electric for my b-day.

We went out once caught 2 and that was it the salmon bug hit and a week later I had 4 electrics on the boat

My boat hasn't seen water in over 3 years, yet i own 16 trolling setups :)

Thanks a lot, mates....

Hey U.Buck sorry to hear you haven't been able to get her out in such a long time. I hope all is OK? I am looking forward to trying some sand bar drifting before it is too late. And I also want to see how the Walleye bite is in the Eastern Basin, if it has started up yet. I hear rumors of it blending in with the perch bite...

Keep em' tight folks...

Will