Inland Browns

blaque

Thought id post a quick report on a day my nephew and I spent in search of inland brownies this past sunday.

He asked if Id take him fishing, which is a no brainer.........he knows im always up for that, but the question was......for what?

I knew it was going to be monsoon winds anywhere near Ontario or Erie.........so that was out of the question. And i also knew he would prefer, as most kids do, quantity over size.........so we decided to pack up the ultra light gear and head inland for some small stream browns.

And it went a little somethin like this........

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0904-1.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Not as pretty as the specks ive been seeing on here from up north, but still a handsome little fish and lots of fun for the little nephew. (oh and me ;) )We were just about to leave when we spotted a two year old brown under a log at the far end of one of the deeper pools................needless to say we couldnt leave lol.........he never did get that monster to gain interest, but he didnt stop talking about it the whole way home, i think i know where ill be this coming sunday :D

Not as pretty as the specks ive been seeing on here from up north, but still a handsome little fish and lots of fun for the little nephew.

Oh I don't know 'bout that, I think the brown is right up there with speckies and those are some fine examples! Good on you for taking the nephew out, he'll be anxiously awaiting for next Sunday. :thumbsup_anim:

Oh I don't know 'bout that, I think the brown is right up there with speckies and those are some fine examples! Good on you for taking the nephew out, he'll be anxiously awaiting for next Sunday. :thumbsup_anim:

oh the browns are pretty, but a spek being one of my unattained species, gives it an edge in my eyes lol

Thanks guys, theres a ton of oppurtunity for these guys around here and its usually a good way to get a bend in the nephews rod, hes ready for a step up as hes getting bored of the sunfish, bluegill, mini largemouth ponds lol. So getting him into a new species is another way to peak his interest, not that he needs it lol..........that kid will pretend fish in the marsh behind the house even though ive told him time and again, "there are no fish in there.........its just wet back there in the spring and dries up by August every year. lol He dont care. As a side note, hes also caught some quality fish, his first walleye last year, numerous monster lake erie smallies, has yet to put a steelhead notch in his belt though.

Great report Blaque. I really enjoyed the pics. Well done on taking the nephew out for a day of fishing - You've got a great fishing buddy for life :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing

which stream is this? seems kinda small, I am surprise there are any fish in it at all.

Looks like great habitat to live in. Clean, cold water with lots of roots to hide in and rocks to provide homes for bugs of all sorts for fish to eat.

which stream is this? seems kinda small, I am surprise there are any fish in it at all.

As you may or may not know, im down in western new york...............we have a number of these "little streams" down here that meander thru the area and hold these guys. Like MJL said, its great habitat............there are deeper, flowing pools every so often that hold more fish than the shallow runs, lots of gravel and rubble, undercut banks, downed trees (not necassarily all in my pics)

As you may or may not know, im down in western new york, We have many of these little streams that meander thru the area that hold these guys

Like MJL said, theres alot there that helps sustain these fish in such small waters. Every now and again there are deep, slow flowing holding pools, lots of gravel and rubble for hatching insects, undercut banks for hiding, down trees etc.