WFN.....since when has it become HBO

Anyone notice that WFN is now playing "fishing" related movies....i'm not sure it you'd call a river runs through it fishing since they hooked the fish, then let them go so brad pitt could fight them

funny you mention about the re-hooking... i was out on Simcoe late Feb or early March 2008 and saw Italo nearby. he had his crew and all their gear out on the ice going after whitefish. they'd moved around the area a few times with no luck, and then he finally hooked into one. the cameraman couldn't get ready in time as he had traded his camera off for a rod, so when Italo got the fish up (an average 3-4 lb whitie), they laid it on the ice, shoved the Williams ice jig down its yap and fired it back down the hole. once down, he closed the bail and the "fight" ensued with commentary and all. watching fishing shows for me hasn't been the same since. everytime i watch one i can't help but ask myself "is this staged or legit?" i almost got him on my video doing this but my cold finger couldn't hit the record button fast enough. i only got fight #2 on film

Jesse

funny you mention about the re-hooking... i was out on Simcoe late Feb or early March 2008 and saw Italo nearby. he had his crew and all their gear out on the ice going after whitefish. they'd moved around the area a few times with no luck, and then he finally hooked into one. the cameraman couldn't get ready in time as he had traded his camera off for a rod, so when Italo got the fish up (an average 3-4 lb whitie), they laid it on the ice, shoved the Williams ice jig down its yap and fired it back down the hole. once down, he closed the bail and the "fight" ensued with commentary and all. watching fishing shows for me hasn't been the same since. everytime i watch one i can't help but ask myself "is this staged or legit?" i almost got him on my video doing this but my cold finger couldn't hit the record button fast enough. i only got fight #2 on film

Jesse

I guess old habits die hard...

Jesse

Were they aware ppl were watching??

For a buck or two a month I get Musky Hunter, Next Bite, Reel Fishing, Hook n Look, JP DeRose, Ship shape and a few other watchable show. Thats the price of one musky lure per year. How many channels do you watch that have top quality 24/7? Charlie Moore is a little stupid but its nice not having products rammed down my throat for 30 mins. As for movies, they should stay on amc or HBO but I guess its up to us to let the network know what we want or dont. But at the end of the day im the guy who spends $15 a month on Setanta

(soccer channel)

I enjoy the movies. Perfect Storm was on a while back, I enjoyed it. Reminds me of Erie on a calm November day. :)

On Golden Pond is a classic I could watch over and over.

Compared to some of the tripe that's on there, the movies are a nice break. It does sorta outline the severe dearth of fishing related movies though. Was Hemingway's old man and the sea ever made for the big screen, that book is one of the few that I was ever forced to read in school that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I guess this just shows that nomatter what they do they can't please everyone all of the time. Even removing the informercials would only please all of us viewers, it wouldn't please their bosses and beancounters. :)

Problem is when I signed up, I signed up for a 24/7 fishing, not 15/7 with movie interludes

Fair enough. I don't have the "outdoors" channels (must not have been during a commercial when my wife brought it up ;) ) We do have a slick PVR that can tape 2 shows at once, as well as pausing 2 live tv channels at the same time, that makes sports viewing much more enjoyable. Not to mention this would have saved a lot of fights between my brother and I 25 years ago.

I can tape all the fishin' shows I want and scan through to the money shots. I can watch four 30 minute shows in less than an hour.

I enjoy the movies. Perfect Storm was on a while back, I enjoyed it. Reminds me of Erie on a calm November day. :)

On Golden Pond is a classic I could watch over and over.

Compared to some of the tripe that's on there, the movies are a nice break. It does sorta outline the severe dearth of fishing related movies though. Was Hemingway's old man and the sea ever made for the big screen, that book is one of the few that I was ever forced to read in school that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I guess this just shows that nomatter what they do they can't please everyone all of the time. Even removing the informercials would only please all of us viewers, it wouldn't please their bosses and beancounters. :)

I kinda like Grumpy Old Men & the sequel. They somehow remind me of OFC. :P

And I keep thinking of people who deserve a big stinky ole carp in the back seat (not OFNers, of course).

And yes, Old Man & The Sea was made into a movie w/Spencer Tracy as the fisherman.

JF

Edited by JohnF