fresh water clams

Paully

According to the to Guide Eating Ontario Sport Fish – Page 12 . . .

Clams

Although freshwater clams are often readly available in many Ontario water bodies, it is advised that they are not consumed. Clams are filter feeders and therefore they are usually low in chemical contaminants, but for some reason, they can harbour harmful bacteria and other pathogens. If they are not suffeciently cooked, they may cause health problems, such as food poisoning.

Hope this helps.

I did it, the trick is have one pot of salt water boiling and another pot with water, white wine and chicken broth boiling too. Get them cooked 80% in the salt water then change them over. they wern't bad but I'm not going to do it again. rather just buy some...

How do the fish get the shells open?

ummmmmm you are not serious?

You open the shell and use this insides. I just use a smallish hook with baitholder barbs. It is easily the best bait going for most fish. I am truly amazed how many people don't use "local bait". Grasshoppers, clams, minnows, leeches etc anything you can find in the river/creek/lake is by far the best bait you can get. If i go to a creek to fish, for say specks i never take bait, just my rod and some hooks. I find using what fish actually eat tends to work.