Orillia Perch Derby

Fisherman

Well, not the best morning by any stretch of the imagination, fished out in the open area, in close to shore, by the Narrows, very, very few fish. Went in by one of the Marinas on the north side of the Narrows, not anchored, some guy came out and gave us a tongue lashing, claims they own the land under the water. I will follow up on that. Then the thunderstorm started, get back to the launch, what a disaster, I swear I'll never go to that derby again on weekends, too many idiots that can't understand launch etiquette and haven't got a clue how to back up, launch or retieve a boat. To top it off, CRACK, lightening hit the transformer pole right outside the weigh station across the road at Perch HQ, half deaf from that strike. Fish tonight..no I'm having a couple of bratwurst, and they will taste good whether they like it or not.

That storm was a loud one for April. We had one lightning strike on the river that was sorta close, no static or nothing but close enough for me. I was ready for the bang but it was still pretty loud. I guess the guy next to me wasn't as ready because it seemed like he jumped a 4 feet in the air and when his feet hit the ground he was half way to the trees with his line trailing behind him. :lol:

Not sure why he thought a bunch of big trees was better than fishing in a small open area on the river during a lighting storm? I felt that I was safer on the river, I did keep my rod low however. ;)

Not sure of the truth of the statement but the marina/s on the left side north of the narrows bridge have always claimed no fishing past a certain point.We would go past it and fish in on the back side and never seemed to be bothered in there as there are a couple of houses fronting along there so they probably can't claim it's all theirs'.If you go a little further you are at the mouth of the couchiching canal at one end.Usually lots of perch hanging near that area.

Kerry

We got pretty close to 100 fish on Saturday with most averaging about 7-8" but a few close to 12". Funny thing is that we were out fishing the other boats in the area by a good 8-1 I waited out the lightning Saturday morning and didn't get underway until about 11 am and got back and to the headquarters and back in the truck about 3 minutes before the second storm hit.

Gonna put up a report and some pics soon.

jjcanoe

haha nice guys. i set my alarm for 8:15 sat moring layed in bed for a while, the crack hit and shook my house rolled over and went back to bed. I really wanted to go to the launch for the second thunderstorm with my coffee and watch the circus show dang it. Oh well i got all week with the lake all to myself now. I'll be in a Blue and white Lowe if anyone spots me wave me i'll come chat with ya :)