MTO & Towing Capacity

superdad

Has anyone heard anything about towing regulations?

Apparently, the OPP and the MTO are going to blitz us this year and impose fines and impounding of our boats if we are not in compliance.

It's something I heard about from a friend up in the Golden Horseshoe.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

David, the law has always been there, they have just decided to enforce it. No more danglin wires, under sized trailers, over GVW combo's.

Make sure you have ALL your safety chains anchored and hooked up properly.

Your tires are of good shape.

You have the proper hitch installed.

Your boat is secure.

Your trailer brakes are working.

You have ALL the appropriate documents.

Oh yeah, they will be watching us. The wrong do'ers are what has them up in arms....

The time has come to be aware and safety conscious..

Enjoy opening day!!!

Nipper

We've have been discussing this on BIG FAT BASS recently and it is NOT rumour-its caught me by surprise.

I'm lifting the begining of the thread and pasting below.

Apparently, MTO regulations that have been in effect since 1994 will be more strictly enforced in the near future. This is due to an increase in incidents resulting from unsafe towing on our roads. The O.P.P. have recently received training on trailer safety issues, and will be conducting Province wide "blitzes" in conjunction with the MTO in an effort to ensure that standards are being met, and to maintain safety on our roads.

Any vehicle (ex: your truck!) and trailer (ex: the one with your boat on it!) must not exceed a combined GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 4500 kgs/9920lbs without both the truck and trailer receiving an annual safety inspection at an approved MTO Inspection Station.

**It is important to note that the "GVRW", is not the actual weight of your vehicle(s), it is the maximum load rating of your vehicle. It is different from the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). This information is usually found on a sticker that is located on the door or door post of your vehicle/trailer, or on the sticker that is located near the tongue of your trailer.

If the combined GVWR is less than 4500kg/9920lbs, then you are fine. If the combined GVWR of your vehicle and the one that you are towing is in excess of this weight, then you are required to have annual safety inspections done on both. Vehicles that have been inspected will display a bright yellow sticker, which will make it easy to ensure that you are in compliance.

It's really important for us to check this on our own vehicles, since most tandem axle trailer/truck combinations end up being over 4500kg. There are very few exceptions to these regulations with regard to the towing of boat/snowmobile trailers, etc. My husband was told by MTO officials that fines will be determined by the number of kg/lbs over the acceptable weight, and you will likely be required to unhitch your trailer from your vehicle on the spot if not in compliance. It would suck to have to leave your bass boat sitting on the side of the road because you got stopped on the way to a tourney!!!

More information can be found on the MTO website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/re...ns/annual.shtml

If you have questions or concerns, it would be wise to contact your mechanic and mention Circular 31 of the MTO Safety Regulations.

Here is the BFB thread..

Thread

Edited by ranger520vx

I've been nailed for this before towing my 36' triple axle with absolutely no weight on it. Female OPP officer (after they chased me down with two cars and boxed me in like a take down) with tape measure measured axle centre to centre to determine it's weight capacity supposably (give me a break..it's 9 tons lol) and charged me with "failure to show device". I think it was a $180 fine back then... divide that by the number of years since 1989 and I'll take a few of those over the yearly safety expense. Anyone that knows me knows I dont' drive or pull junk (the odd truck that the wheel falls off.. but.. ) . They never even asked to see lights work, brakes work.. and then I drove away. Also got the lecture on S hook chains... "have to be closed blah blah blah". Well they are now... but according to MTO's website closed hooks are only a SUGGESTION.

As for this 4500kg GVWR... guess I'll be pulling my rig across the weight station short of North Bay on the way to the lake and keeping the weight slip. Maybe I'll just drop my boat on the scales and get a weight for it. My boat trailer has a GVWR of 7000lbs/3175kg. actual boat and trailer with a full fuel tank and gear don't weigh more than 4500 lbs / 2041 kg. My truck.. based on the GVWR on the ownership is 3000 kg. So based on what I'm doing I should be legal.. now if I somehow manage to put a deck on the boat trailer and tow concrete blocks.. maybe not !

More and more officers are taking it upon their own iniative to do spot or random vehicle stops.

Something else I have learned recently...an OPP officer is trained enough to do a road side vehicle seizure including plates without being a licened motor vehicle mechanic.

That means they can do a quick inspection and see if your vehicle or trailer is in fact "fit".

A few weeks ago we were out for a tour and came across a single officer in Madoc.

He was stopping all traffic...check drivers licence, insurance, sticker on the plate etc.

It is good to see.

Keep the crap off the road eh :lol:

Just be sure you have the trailer ownership in the tow vehicle glove box !! The big thing they're looking out for is stolen boats and trailers. Might even want a copy of the vessel licence in the tow vehicle.... will save you unsnapping the trailering cover and trying to get to the glove box on the side of the road.

Just be sure you have the trailer ownership in the tow vehicle glove box !! The big thing they're looking out for is stolen boats and trailers. Might even want a copy of the vessel licence in the tow vehicle.... will save you unsnapping the trailering cover and trying to get to the glove box on the side of the road.

Neighbour down the road is on the Peterborough County OPP Marine unit...they want to see proof of vessel registration and insurance on the water every time they stop someone for an inspection...they just wave at us on the water :lol: kinda nice.

I have been told if you are behaving yourself and wearing your life jackets they may move on to someone else :whistling:

I have copies in the boat ;)

The trailer ownerships always in with the tow vehicle.

Dont get caught with yer pants down this summer folks 'cause it's expensive.

As for this 4500kg GVWR... guess I'll be pulling my rig across the weight station short of North Bay on the way to the lake and keeping the weight slip. Maybe I'll just drop my boat on the scales and get a weight for it. My boat trailer has a GVWR of 7000lbs/3175kg. actual boat and trailer with a full fuel tank and gear don't weigh more than 4500 lbs / 2041 kg. My truck.. based on the GVWR on the ownership is 3000 kg. So based on what I'm doing I should be legal.. now if I somehow manage to put a deck on the boat trailer and tow concrete blocks.. maybe not !

According to your figures your GVWR exceeds the 4,500 kg limit. 3,000+3,175=6,175kg.

Actual weight is not a factor so "keeping the weight slip" means nothing. It's based on the maximum possible weight according to your GVWR's.

Rick

According to your figures your GVWR exceeds the 4,500 kg limit. 3,000+3,175=6,175kg.

Actual weight is not a factor so "keeping the weight slip" means nothing. It's based on the maximum possible weight according to your GVWR's.

Rick

I know that Rick.. but never hurts to have the numbers anyhow... and also note been a long day and my math was wrong and I'm over the weight anyhow even with real boat/trailer weight. What they should realize is a dual axle trailer is safer than a single. Everyone with a double axle trailer, or a 3/4 ton truck pulling a single, is going to get hit with this. Even if you pull the decal off the trailer tonque I'm pretty sure singles are considered 3500 lb and duals 7000. You'd think they'd put the GVWR on the trailer ownership.. but instead they put it's actual empty weight. The really dumb one with this "crack down" / legislation is I can haul an RV trailer that's a lot heavier than my boat and they're exempt ! Recreational should be recreatonal use period !

There are very few exceptions to these regulations with regard to the towing of boat/snowmobile trailers, etc.

More information can be found on the MTO website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/re...ns/annual.shtml

If you have questions or concerns, it would be wise to contact your mechanic and mention Circular 31 of the MTO Safety Regulations.

I checked the link and sublink and came up with this portion under exceptions for light duty trailers.

In this case I was informed they only use the tongue weight of the trailer added to the trucks weight to make sure you are under the 4500kg rule.

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

That's what I understood based on the RV magazine yacking about this weight reg for the last few years.. So you go to the scale and weigh just the truck with the trailer attached to it and that's your weight. Then as long as the trailer itself on the scale.. still attached to the truck... weighs less than 6173lbs your good. Now if they go by "sticker" GVWR on the trailer.. all dual axles are probably outta luck.

Just have to find the list of "light duty trailers".

It is the GVWR or the actual weight, whichever is highest: Here's an image of the actual description of the rules:

trucksafety.jpg

I didn't know this either and I'm way over when I have the boat hooked up. Here are my GVWR numbers:

Truck 7200 lbs

Boat trailer 5000 lbs

Total 12,200 lbs

Edited by Gerry

what a bunch of Bull ,theres more important things to be "TARGETING" than some poor fella trying to go fishing on his day off

I guess you don't see these morons out there with improper trailler towing crap to the dump but leaving half of it on the 401? I see so many traillers on the road that should not be there every single day. It's not only boats as most are safe as they are purchased as packages. You may find the odd 14 footer on a home made trailler but thats not the norm.

Have you ever been behind or beside someone who is hauling an overweight trailer? Weaving all over. Or someone with the wrong tires on ? Or no brake lights?

I want to arrive where I am going or arrive at home. I make sure all my stuff is in proper working order so I do not endanger me, my wife, my freinds or anyone else.

And if you can't do that then don't get on the road !!!

The OPP can check me out all they want.

Regards

I don't think anyone is disputing keeping the junk off the highway. The issue really is the weight logic and how it's arrived at is wrong using the GVWR of the trailer. If it's a boat trailer and you have the boat on it.. that should be the GW of the trailer. This regulation was originally written to target small contractors with a single truck and tandem axle work trailer in questionable condition..not guys hauling their boat to the lake or RV. Interesting how the RV trailers are exempt.. well not interesting they lobbied to keep them "out of the equation". I'm apparently illegal to haul a brand new boat and trailer behind my 4 wheel drive, long wheel base F150.. but someone can hook it up to a little car with a lower GVWR and their total GVWR would be legal. Extremely dangerous though...