UP DATE Hooking up second Satellite

holdfast

I have a second Satellite that Ive payed for and was wondering if I could hook it up at my trailer 3 hours North without going through the works.

Also, Last time I hooked one up many years ago. I remember the Agony using a compass with trial and Error and my wife watching the Tube. This time I will be by myself so any Ideas or tips. The only thing I could think of is bringing the TV on the roof with me. That may be insane though. I figure some of you may be pros with a short cut or two.

Edited by holdfast

I have hooked up the sound to the stereo and cranked up the sound rather than looking at the signal meter. If you use the site Terry directed you to and follow the instructions it will get it very close. The last one I did was spot on.

I installed a 2nd dish at my camp in QC last summer.

Followed the directions, adjusted the dish accordingly...nothing.

Then I had my wife check the tv for me while I was on the roof.

Got it to work but it was unreal how precise it had to be set. Even just tightening the bolts I lost the signal.

Eventually got it though..

I think you've got the right idea bringing the tv on the roof with you if you don't have someone to help.

the main

the number one thing

if it's the only thing you do right, make sure the post is 90 degs

perfectly level

strait

if it is off even a little bit it throws off ever other angle/adjustment

for The dual LNB set every angle on the ground, then put it on the pole hook up the cable to 91 and get the best signal you can

then hook up 82 and adjust if needed

Edited by Terry

Do yourself a favour and pick up a $10 inline signal finder. Makes it so much easier then running in and out of the house to see if you have signal or not.

Runs inline from the LNB to the sat box. Has a meter with a knob that allows you to turn down the sensitivity so you can really nail down a good signal.

I installed satelite dishes professionally for bell for years, In the beginning before the fancy testers i used a baby monitor, put the transmitter in front of the tv and carry the receiver part clipped to your shirt. As for the dual Lnb tuning most important is ensuring the mast is PERFECTLY PLUMB than set the scew and proceed to pan left and right slowly if after panning 2-3 times back and forth within 2-3 mins you haven't aquired a signal verify everything as you have something wrong.... than just pan again after tuning your strongest signal adjust up and down to fine tune HTH

Hold fast,

Yes you can set up your other sat where ever you like. As long as you don't connect the phoneline, they will not be the wiser and you will not be harrassed by them complaining you cannot do this. As long as they get their monthly service charge all is good.

As far as aligning the dish, Terry's posted link works best. General rule is to make sure the mast that you slide the dish on is perfectly level on all sides and tight where there is no movement.

Then you will want to find the estimated elevation of your area.

Set elevation accordingly, then mount dish and snug nuts so panning is stable not sloppy.

If working alone you can crank the audio so the beep, beep is heard clearly, then just pan dish until you hit a steady tone.

Once you have steady tone, you will want to slowly adjust till you get the highest pitch possible.

If you are satisfied with signal, lock and secure tightly.

When I do installs, I try and keep the dish as low to the ground as possible. Makes for easier setup, alignment and cleaning in snowy weather.

Also reduces the risk of injury.. There is no difference in a low mount unless you have trees to shoot over..

Good Luck and be careful if your on the roof....

Nipper

Edited by Nippissinger

Thanks alot guys for the answers. I may have to rely on the audio. I also have a problem as the calculations in the Bell book are for Prince Albert and North Battleford. 1.5 and 2.5 hours difference from Big River. Never the less your answers have given me the confidence to get her done this weeknd and save myself 50 dollars a month on Cable fees.

Edited by holdfast

Come-on guys:

Vertical is plumb,

horizontal is level,

strait is straight (unless water is involved),

a motor uses electricity, hydraulic fluid or compressed air,

an engine uses fuel,

real engines burn kerosene,

and gasoline is for washing parts.

Sorry, I got caught up in the moment.

;)

Dan

holdfast, are you going to be carting the receiver back and forth from home to trailer? if so you can legitimately bring the unit back and forth as you are not at both places at the same time. My father did this with his starchoice receiver and they do not have a problem with it. He even got another receiver for the cottage and they don't care that he has 2 locations.

I used a set of walkie talkies when I set mine up. With a rubber band keeping the talk button held down and place it in from of the tv and the other one with you so you can hear. Just like the baby monitor trick... ;)

:quote name='dannyboy' date='Apr 22 2009, 12:36 PM' post='333502']

Come-on guys:

Vertical is plumb,

horizontal is level,

strait is straight (unless water is involved),

a motor uses electricity, hydraulic fluid or compressed air,

an engine uses fuel,

real engines burn kerosene,

and gasoline is for washing parts.

Sorry, I got caught up in the moment.

;)

Dan

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well I got her done on Saturday and it was a lot quicker than I anticipated. Never used a Compass as I took the dog for a walk and noted where all the Bell Dishes were pointed. I did some research and found out that just because its High on the Roof doesn't mean you get better reception. So I mounted it low so I can always maintain it. I remembered I found an old TV so I rigged it temporarily. It took me less than Two minutes to Lock on.

P4240110.jpg

Thanks guys for the Ideas. My weekend excursions are even better now with Satellite. At Least I have a TV Guide, and it saves me $50 a month