Walleye , Pike and skies on fire

limeyangler

Hi all.

Well my on-call job has suddenly sprung to life. I had only been called in one time previously since September, then all of a sudden....WHAM!....combined with my full time job I have been working back to back night shifts for the last 10 days (don’t wanna sound too whiney, cuz I know that in the current economic climate, just having a job is a blessing).......but.......I still managed 2 short sessions between shifts Friday and Saturday evening with my buddy Lew.

On Friday evening Lew called and said they were going to Olsen's Landing near downtown Dryden for a quick fish around 6pm. I reckoned I could still cram in a couple hours sleep if I went as I did not start till midnight...so I hopped on the snowmachine and whizzed across to meet Lew.

LEW ALREADY HAD THE HOLES DRILLED, AND GORD, HIS SON CHAD AND HIS DAD WERE THERE TOO

w1.jpg

I HAD THE FIRST FISH....A NICE FAT 31" PIKE, PEELED LINE LIKE CRAZY, LOVE THAT SOUND OF A SCREAMING REEL!

w2.jpg

I GOT A WHOLE LOAD OF LITTLE ONES AFTER THAT, AROUND 6"-9" WHICH ALL WENT BACK, THEN I GOT ONE WORTH KEEPING CONSIDERING THE SIZE AROUND

w3.jpg

FORGOT MY ROD RESTS IN HASTE TO GET OUT, HANDGRIPS WERE AN EXCELLENT REPLACEMENT....LOL

w4.jpg

CHAD WAS KEPT BUSY WITH BITES BUT COULD NOT HOOK ANYTHING

w5.jpg

FINALLY CHAD'S PATIENCE WAS REWARDED, A DECENT PIKE

w7.jpg

LEW WAS BUSY CATCHING LITTLE SAUGER AND WALLEYE WHEN HE alertED US TO A VISITOR, A FOX

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

w10.jpg

I GOT A LITTLE PIKE JUST AS I WAS PACKING UP

A great way to spend an hour and a half, and a much needed fix of fishing despite my sleep deprivation....lol.

The next day I slept a bit in the morning after my shift, and waited for Lew to get his slow butt back from International Falls, he was pretty late getting back and our planned trip into Dore Lake still went ahead, it was just gonna be for a couple of hours though as we did not head out till 4:30pm.

We were stopped on the way in by a CO...same guy who stopped me a couple of weeks back...and an OPP officer.....registration, insurance, fishing licenses...do you have any alcohol with you?....did you fish yesterday?......Do you have any fish at home?

Did feel like they really wanted to nail us for something...anything...anyway...after 10 mins we fired up the snowmachine again and were set up by 5:30pm....I was a bit annoyed as the cable to my fishfinder's transducer had got cut in two somehow....and fishing 'blind' was a weird feeling...aint done it for a while.

LEW GOT US GOING WITH THE FIRST WALLEYE, AFTER I HAD HAD A SMALL PIKE, HE WAS JOKING AROUND ABOUT HOW PEOPLE HOLD THE FISH OUT ARMS LENGTH FOR PHOTOS.....LOL

w12.jpg

IT WAS AROUND 7 DEGREES C, LEW IN HIS T-SHIRT....LOL.

w13.jpg

STILL IN HIS T-SHIRT AS THE SUN AND TEMPERATURE STARTED TO DIP ...CRAZY IF YOU ASK ME

w14.jpg

WE WERE GETTING CLOSE TO OUR LIMIT OF 8 FISH, ALL NICE KEEPER SIZE BETWEEN 15" AND 17", REALLY NICE DARK GOLDEN FISH IN THIS LAKE, WITH PROMINENT PERCH LIKE BARRING ACROSS THEIR BACKS

w15.jpg

I GOT A NICE 21" FISH, BUT DECIDED TO PUT IT BACK AS THERE WERE LOTS OF SMALLER ONES BITING

w16.jpg

LEW FINALLY DECIDED TO PUT HIS COAT ON....LOL

w17.jpg

AS WE CAUGHT OUR LAST FEW FISH WE WERE TREATED TO A GLORIOUS SUNSET.........

w18.jpg

w19.jpg

w20.jpg

w21.jpg

w22.jpg

AFTER 2 HOURS WE HAD OUR LIMIT AND WERE HEADED BACK

w23.jpg

Still at least 2.5' of ice out there, but last day for walleye will be 14th, then I’ll be after trout and will be hitting a lake with lots of SMB, see if I can ice my first bass.

Till the next time....tight lines all.

Great report, pics and videos Simon :thumbsup_anim:

You're so lucky to be able to ice fish at this time of year..... over here, season closed and got to wait for trout opener April 24th :wallbash:

That 31" pike sure is a beauty :clapping: and the eyes are real dark colored B)

Great way to spend quality fishing time amongst friends!!!

Great job you guys and keep up the good work :canadian::clapping:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques