NEW PB

kemper

Yeah I was reading a few years ago how lampreys were / are a delicacy in China for hundreds of years. But do a google search on 'lamprey eating' and you'll see sites that say they taste even better than lake eel! Wouldn't mind catchin one myself, although I don't know if I could get myself to clean it, I have trouble with catfish as it is.

So you killed a native species because it feeds on introduced species?

Although there is still some debate, sea lampreys are probably native to Lake Ontario (St. Lawrence), but made it into the other great lakes via the Welland canal after improvements were made around 1920, causing some impact on the fisheries. The only reason that they had an impact was because the numbers of lake trout were so depressed from commercial fishing.

Oh, and killing one would do nothing to help the problem anyway, it's just killing for the sake of killing.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Although there is still some debate, sea lampreys are probably native to Lake Ontario (St. Lawrence), but made it into the other great lakes via the Welland canal after improvements were made around 1920, causing some impact on the fisheries. The only reason that they had an impact was because the numbers of lake trout were so depressed from commercial fishing.

Oh, and killing one would do nothing to help the problem anyway, it's just killing for the sake of killing.

Lamprey made it in to the great lakes in the 1800's.

And I don't believe that "the only reason they had an impact was ..." is factual either. At present we have reduced lamprey populations by 90% and you still see scars/wounds/live lamprey on a staggering amount of great lakes salmonids.

I've worked with lamprey but I do not condone the mistreatment of any animal. Taking it out of the water might be acceptable, but slowly torturing any animal is unethical, and doesn't demonstrate much respect for nature.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest gbfisher

dam straight...kill em all one by one if ya have too. Right along side the Gobies...... :lol:<_<

One less sucker is a good thing.

Lamprey made it in to the great lakes in the 1800's.

And I don't believe that "the only reason they had an impact was ..." is factual either. At present we have reduced lamprey populations by 90% and you still see scars/wounds/live lamprey on a staggering amount of great lakes salmonids.

I've worked with lamprey but I do not condone the mistreatment of any animal. Taking it out of the water might be acceptable, but slowly torturing any animal is unethical, and doesn't demonstrate much respect for nature.

Although they may have had an impact otherwise, the overfishing certainly magnified them. There is new data suggesting that they entered Lake Ontario after the last glaciation. --check this out: http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/waldgrun.htm Mitochondrial DNA Analysis Indicates Sea Lampreys Are Indigenous to Lake Ontario -- it's just an abstract but you get the idea.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Although they may have had an impact otherwise, the overfishing certainly magnified them. There is new data suggesting that they entered Lake Ontario after the last glaciation. --check this out: http://www.sgnis.org/publicat/waldgrun.htm Mitochondrial DNA Analysis Indicates Sea Lampreys Are Indigenous to Lake Ontario -- it's just an abstract but you get the idea.

cease lamprey control in Lake Ontario?

that doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

Ya uhh, make sure to watch out for the other species of lamprey in Ontario, such as the Silver, Chestnut, and Northern Brook that are native to the areas theyre in. I know that the brook lamprey is a species of special concern, so you probably dont want to stop on them.

And are you people kidding me about leaving sea lampreys alone? Like seriously? If it wernt for control on them, your rainbow trout that your catching this time of the year in great lakes tribitaries would be a thing of the past. Lake trout pops in the great lakes are ruined because of them.

Great Lakes Fishery Commision

http://www.glfc.org/lampcon.php

Im actually kind of irritated people dont know anything about sea lamprey.

Hey Xeon,

Dont get to worked up about it. Me along with at least 1 other person on this board have and still are treating great lakes tributaries for adult and larval lamprey. What i noticed from travelling across Ontario, NY, and MI, is that not too many people actually worry about them. Sometimes we get the good for you, good job spiel and sometimes we get lambasted for killing, and harming the fish and ecosystems...some people go out of there way to try to help and even learn and spread knowledge of them, some don't care. Lots of times its just lack of knowledge with the species and the destruction that can be caused from them.

Remember the crash the Lake Trout populations happened in the mid 1900's when people were just born or not even around, so they havent seen the effects that they can cause, and only lately have commercial and sport fisherman started to see the rebound. The problem is still under the water and not really in our faces....out of sight...out of mind for lots of people.

Ya uhh, make sure to watch out for the other species of lamprey in Ontario, such as the Silver, Chestnut, and Northern Brook that are native to the areas theyre in. I know that the brook lamprey is a species of special concern, so you probably dont want to stop on them.

And are you people kidding me about leaving sea lampreys alone? Like seriously? If it wernt for control on them, your rainbow trout that your catching this time of the year in great lakes tribitaries would be a thing of the past. Lake trout pops in the great lakes are ruined because of them.

Great Lakes Fishery Commision

http://www.glfc.org/lampcon.php

Im actually kind of irritated people dont know anything about sea lamprey.

I don't think any of those lamprey are parasitic, and are only found in areas where substrate(they burry themselves in it) and water quality permit.. so no need to worry about finding one of them stuck to a steelie..

I'm also pretty sure that lake trout populations were more affected by habitat degredation and over-fishing.. but hey, that's just my .02..

I don't think any of those lamprey are parasitic, and are only found in areas where substrate(they burry themselves in it) and water quality permit.. so no need to worry about finding one of them stuck to a steelie..

I'm also pretty sure that lake trout populations were more affected by habitat degredation and over-fishing.. but hey, that's just my .02..

You are right about lots of those lamprey and not feeding on fish, mostly filter feed on the bottom. They may hitch a ride, but would not take down a fish.

However, it was well documented that the lamprey invasion was a major cause of the crash of the trout...not saying that over fishing did affect it...just added to the already crashing populations. Just a tidbit....an adult lamprey when an adult, can kill 40 or more lbs of fish.

Edited by anders

Guest gbfisher
so no need to worry about finding one of them stuck to a steelie..

Huh...must have been a brown I caught...... :lol:

IMG_0013.jpg

Not to mention that every Salmon we pulled in last year had an eel atttached to it......