Vancouver in may....

Sinker

What should I try and fish for out there? Im only going for a few days, so give me my best opportunity for a fishing trip?? I'll be there over the may long weekend.

I'd love to get a sturgeon........any chance of that happening?? Next choice would be halibut or Ling cod. I would settle for salmon, but as a last resort. I can get lots of them here. I'm only interested in salt water fishing, so a charter is going to be in the works.

Any local contacts/knowledge would be much appreciated.

Sinker

wow those are some nice fish congrats man and sinker u should defiantly go for them

As long as theyre in season, and I can get a guide, thats the plan for sure. They've been on the top of my life list for a loooooong time.

I'm researching it right now. This trip kinda came up out of the blue, so I"m scrambling now......

Sinker

you may want to fish the Fraser or Vedder River and a good place to start is Fred Helmers Tackle shop in Vedder Crossing Chilliwack. That is if you got the money

http://www.freds-bc.com/about.html

He'll guide you for either Sturgeon, Steelhead, Salmons, Cut throat or Rainbows. It all depends whats running. If you fish Chilliwack Lake you may catch some Kokannee or Dolly Varden. Get your self a Chilliwack Phone Book and check out the guides.

I want a sturgeon first!

Saltwater second.

Not really interested in salmon......I get enough of them here. I already talked to the guy tibbs reccomended, and he's a go, but I'm totally open to any other guides that any of you's have used before for sturgeon.

I'll be in North Vancouver, so Fraser river it is.

Thanks Holdfast, I'll look into it for sure!

Sinker

You can also check out STS guiding services (www.guidebc.com). These guys have a pretty good rep out there also. Keep in mind that both STS and Fred Helmer are located in the Fraser Valley... that's about an hour and a half from North Vancouver. FYI, May is the time for the Eulachon run (small oily smelt-like fish that run up the Fraser to spawn) and this is when the sturgeon go nuts as they'll be very hungry after a long cold winter. You should do awesome!! Good luck and tell us how it went!

You can also check out STS guiding services (www.guidebc.com). These guys have a pretty good rep out there also. Keep in mind that both STS and Fred Helmer are located in the Fraser Valley... that's about an hour and a half from North Vancouver. FYI, May is the time for the Eulachon run (small oily smelt-like fish that run up the Fraser to spawn) and this is when the sturgeon go nuts as they'll be very hungry after a long cold winter. You should do awesome!! Good luck and tell us how it went!

Yes, this is what I've come to understand as well.

I've booked with that guide service, its carved in stone. I talked to the guy last night, and he says we have timed it just right to get into some good fish.

I can't freakin wait!!!!

Sinker

Hey Sinker,

Though you will be targeting Sturgeon, never, ever dismiss a good opportunity to fish for Salmon in BC. lol

The Chinook season is usually in July, August, but let me tell ya from experience....the salmon fishing you get around here, or in Newfoundland aint nothing like the King Salmon in B.C.!!! You could easily tie into a 45, 50 and even 60lb Chinook up around the Campbell River on the island. Been there and done that! It was wicked!!!!!!

Good luck with the Sturgeon! I know you will have fun!

Ab