Going to try for Steelhead for the first time

tknohpy

Hey Guys

So I bought myself a 13' St Croix with an Adcock Stanton centre pin reel. Thinking about going out on Friday to give it a try. Having never done this before I really have no idea where to begin. Any pointers on where to try would be appreciated, I am living in Georgetown just west of Brampton. Again I have never done this so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by tknohpy

Being I've never gone... only learned from others off the board (and some in person; Thanks L2P!) I'd say...

4 split shots? 6 max? (depending on how long the lead is from the bobber) uhh.. stagger them out evenly...

small hook apparently... like the ones at LeBaron's ...

EDIT: I PM'd you TKNOHPY... Fire me an email - I'll send you a file on something posted awhile back.

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

Shot all depends on how heavy a float you are using.. If the water is moving quickly, you'll want a bigger float with more shot to get your rig down sooner. If you are fishing frog water (slow moving water), you can get away with a lighter float and less shot...

The key is to put on as much shot as possible without sinking the float. You want the float to go down with as little pressure as possible.

You'll wanna run a 19-24inch lead from your bait to a micro swivel, then attach that to your mainline.

Beats has the right idea though, float guys are a pretty nice bunch, I'm sure if you ask a few questions someone will help you with your setup.

Bookmark this link.. It shows a few shot patterns that will come in handy...

http://www.fishonlineca.com/index.php?opti...9&Itemid=54

Great post, BillM...I too am new to steelheading...well, not new...watched others for years, tried to copy 'em...still didn't catch anything...gave up. I'm living down the road from Erindale now, so, I'm, ready to give it another go

Hey Guys

So I bought myself a 13' St Croix with an Adcock Stanton centre pin reel. Thinking about going out on Friday to give it a try. Having never done this before I really have no idea where to begin. Any pointers on where to try would be appreciated, I am living in Georgetown just west of Brampton. Again I have never done this so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I am heading down this Friday morning send me a PM we can meet

I can show you some riggin tech. and help you out.

Just make sure you have you centerpin spooled up with line, backing and you main line. I have extra gear, floats, shots, fluoro line etc etc.

Do you have waders?

http://craa.on.ca

Jose

Edited by jchau53

hey tknophy have you learned how to cast with the pin yet? I'm a newbie pinner and steelheader myself and it takes quite a bit of practice at first. I have gone out a couple times now and I still can't cast that far plus i get a birdnest once in a while.

If i was to start all over again, I might start steelheading with a spinning reel first, at least I am confident with the casting and I can focus more on getting the fish to bite. I'd say it might be a good idea to get a few fish under your belt as a confidence booster before you head out with the pin if you haven't caught a steelhead before, JMHO. For the record, i still haven't caught one on the pin yet lol.

with what I have read from the MNR Regs. It is from the 403 bridge south to the lake

nothing about erindale.

I know is used to be open all year but I cannot find anywhere to fish except from lakeshore to the the lake on river mouths.

Where are there people fishing now for steelhead as I am wanting to get out and fish but don't know where to go

Can you please tell me where it says in the link you gave that erindale is open all year, I cant see it.

Thanks

Pg 80 (3 of 6)

Rainbow trout, Brown trout and Pacific Salmon open all year

Credit River and tributaries - City of Mississauga

from the south side of Hwy. 403 bridge downstream

to Lake Ontario

Erindale park is within that open year round stretch