Question about Spinners( Vibrax )

Mike Pike

I've noticed that you can now buy the Vibrax with a siwash hook included in the package. Is this ment to be used as a trailing stinger or can you actually replace the treble with the single siwash?

Just looking to add to my arsenal for the upcoming trout season, and I'm considering adding a few to my vest pocket...

Can't speak for trout, but I did catch a nice muskie on a #3 last fall. :D

You replace the treble with the siwash. There's a gap in the ring at the top of the siwash...you crimp it closed after you've swapped the hooks.

I've never bothered changing any of mine out, but I do sometimes throw a small Gamakatsu G-Stinger on one arm of the treble.

Edited by TangledLines

Thanks TangledLines. Is there a secret to removing the treble?

It has to be cut off.

I have switched back and forth with new trebles etc. using a split ring.

Just install the siwash hook and crimp it.

Siwash is preferred in heavy weeds as it doesn't hang up as much.

Thanks very much for the replies, Guys! Good bit of info.

Good idea about using an o ring to alternate between treble and siwash too.

I prefer the treble in most situations, but there are rivers which have special regulations where you can only use a single barbless hook for trout, so in this situation the treble is not an option. I think I'll be cutting off the treble and crimping down the siwash and giving 'em a go this spring.

Cheers!

A lot of places have regulations for single-hooks only for fishing and BlueFox's biggest market is Alaska which has that policy at many popular fishing destinations. I don't trust the siwash though after have too many of them twist off in the middle of a thrashing fish fight so i've switched to split rings and single gamakatsu. I use the oval split rings that come to a bit of a point at both ends, i find the had fewer hook/lure tangles.

I hear ya Drifter. Although I haven't fished with the Vibrax spinners much, I've fish the Mepps inlines for as long as I can remember. Love tossing 'em, feeling the thumping of the blades and then the strike! So few misses on spinners.

And these days when there are so many other options, particularly with plastics, I still go back to spinners in the streams and rivers for trout, bass, everything!

And J aces, the spit ring with a Gammy sounds like a good way to go. tnx

Edited by Mike Pike

I've ordered 4 of these to try out this year, from the comments it sounds like these are quite good, the online comments on cabela's were solid too so these will be in the arsenal. They seem like a lure that can catch quite a variety of fish.

Also look at the Mepps Comet, which is designed for easy hook changes. If you screw the brass weighted part up towards the blade you expose the end of the wire and can just slide the treble off and slip a single on, without having to cut the hook or chip your thumbnail on a split ring.

If you use a weedless single hook, you'll find the spinner doesn't get stuck on logs or rocks nearly as much as a treble-hook version will. Seriously - you can crank it right through logjams, which not only saves you a lot of cash over a season, but means a couple of bonus fish you wouldn't have hooked otherwise.

The Blue Fox #3,4 or 5 spinner in Firetiger is a killer on many Kawartha lakes. I have caught largemouth, smallmouth, pike, muskie, walleye... come to think of it everything on it! LeBaron has the best prices on both these and the Mepps spinners in the GTA.

Mike Pike - as far as I know, it's only the Mepps Comet model that allows the hook change.

Edited by Fisherpete