GULP@!

RuNnYoOzE

:blahblah1: SO my friendly angler's [screw the haters] I have went ahead and purchased some GULP@ bait in a tub at the fishermens sports thingy in Toronto ( thanks Blake from FishingWorld on Barton street in Hamilton) I really want to know who has used them and or is thinking of it? Thanks for your feedback! Edited by fishinFanatic69

I've had great success on Gulp (3 in) for smallies and a some big walleye. Ran out of it on my Canada trip last yr, so I won't make that mistake again. I'm impressed with it. Only downside is that if you leave it on the hook for too long in the boat , you'll need a chainsaw to get it off the hook.....

I've thought about it but can't bring myself to spend 20 bucks on any bait that isn't musky related. Wish they sold it in a 10 dollar size can.......

buy the 20 dollar one once... then buy the packaged stuff and put it into the tub!!! it's the same product, just packaged without the "juice"

It's OK but can't replace the real thing. I tried them several times perch fishing on Lake Erie last year and only caught gobies while real minnow caught nice perch. As previously said they do well on smallmouth. I really think they are WAY overpriced but then was isn't these days.

Bob

I have the tubs but did not give them enough of a fair shot I did get a couple eyes on the minnows but switched back to the chubs that had the eyes on fire that day.

I do LOVE the package stuff and there is some scent in the package just look through the selection and pick the ones with the most scent or buy the spray bottle.

With the package ones I have never been skunked and each time out others bring minnows and night crawlers but before the day is over they are using the GULP like I was using.

One way I like to use it is with worm harness or slow death rig I have not had any problems with small fish or gobies the bait does not get stolen by the little buggers I can feel them down there pulling on the line but just wait for Mr.EYE to come along and take it or them dang SM would smash it. Even on the days last year when everyone was not catching we were.

I just stocked up for the start of the season I picked up 15 packs I will not leave the dock with out the stuff if I am heading out for anything other then musky as for musky I tried to scent some lures last year but did not find that it helped out.

Last year I bought a tub of the 3" minnow grub, chartreuse color for walleye opening day and was real surprise at the results..... I would set it up on a 1/4oz jig and add a live leech for added flavor.... caught walleyes, rock bass, channel cats and bass.

The only thing I can say something negative about it is the lid on the tub leaks. I sent an email to the company about it and received a new tub in the mail B)

Here is the links I posted about that

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...c=22192&hl=

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...c=22459&hl=

And this year bought the new Gulp alive fish fry for hard water season and that stuff really works great. Caught tons of perch, pike, white fish and eyes

Give it a try.... you won't regret it!!

Leechman

We had the same problem last year with the tub leaking after it was opened. Made a mess in my boat. I met a rep from Gulp at BPS and he suggested rather than peeling the lid open, to slice and "X" in the middle thus retaining the seal for the screw on cap. I'm going to try that this year. We used the 3" leaches and found they we good for smallies.

We had the same problem last year with the tub leaking after it was opened. Made a mess in my boat. I met a rep from Gulp at BPS and he suggested rather than peeling the lid open, to slice and "X" in the middle thus retaining the seal for the screw on cap. I'm going to try that this year. We used the 3" leaches and found they we good for smallies.

I have about 4 tubs of the stuff and I no longer peel it back I cut a hole in the middle and leave the gasket seeled around the edges. Still leaks a bit but nto bad. I had 2 replaced by pure fishing no questions asked. Great service.

I was thinking of transferring the GULP@ to a leak proof container but I think Xing it in the middle will do fine. A gentleman at the Sports show @ the fishing world booth let me know about the leaking, ps I don't work there but I'm sure its an awesome place for all your fishing needs and the reps at the show were super friendly and helpful! As for chainging my avatar I will . I think the spray might be my next option and just buy jigs. Thanks for your responses and hope to maybe hook up and fish 1 day!

I use it. Drop shot the leech and minnow. Very good for smallies.

Which bait did you get? Minnows?

I got a combination of leeches ,worms and minnows and yea baby drop shots! hehe Im hoping to get out there soon and fish. The whirlpool is calling my name ..bit of a hike but a oriental gentleman told me like every cast you catch something! For those who don't know how to get to the whirlpool there is a path straight up from the scenic lookout with the tram lines going across! ...bring a walking stick and travel light...carrying 50 pound lunch pail down there ..remeber you need to climb out! Happy fishing and hope to see more great pics.....ooh and I was telling this guy about the walk down and then he kind of shrugged and said to his friend " I can't wit to get my boat in the water" DOH!!! ooh well us shore-fishermen have it just as good but being on a boat is better somehow...ok Im rambling have a great season guys!

got my GULP and fishing stuff and a vehicle anyone want to go fishing I'm in Hamilton send me a PM .....bring your own GULP and thats al folks! PS I have a mini van lots of room for a cooler to hall all the fish back in an EPIC fashion ..I love that word :)

like another person said, buy one tub and toss the ones from the bags in the tub. I have a tub of 3" leeches and added 3" and 4" minnows to it no problem. No colour change to the bait or anything. buy a leakproof tub of some kind and just keep on dumping your biat and "juice" in to it...

I put the container of gulp into a pocket at the top of my back pack. Later that night when I got home from fishing I found out the container was slowly leaking. Needless to say everything in my backpack smelt like crap for a couple weeks, and whenever it gets a bit wet, theres that lovely smell again.

I dont see why they havent completly re-done their packaging, the leaking problem isnt with one or two containers. Until the issue is fixed, I will not be buying another tub of that stuff.

But yes, the product works good. However, so does live bait or most other method. Its really only an essential item in lakes with live bait bans on them.

some guys and I went fishing yesterday.....no report but had a great time! We fished in Oshawa near that bridge ...thanks again red-head person...we seen some steelies jumping and they were hitting my GULP@ minnows pretty hard but my ROD broke and it is 10 years old..so anyways I hope to have a report soon on some great fishing!

I have a story about GULP alive, I am a tournament walleye angler and I spend lots of money on live bait (leaches, minnows and crawlers) as we fish with live bait in tournaments. As we all know live bait works, but last season when fishing the Professional Walleye Trail Super Pro Can-Am event in Dryden Ontario I was faced with fishing only artificial bait for the first time. I have always used GULP or PowerBait as a topper to keep live bait on a jig or live bait rig - so I had confidence going in.

Rolled into town a week early to pre-fish and asked the local bait shops if any one fishes with GULP, the answer was a firm no. They also proceeded to inform me the walleye only eat live minnows. After a couple of days on the lake I started to dial in a pattern where the walleye would take GULP Alive leaches and crawlers on slow death hooks, spinners and rip jigging. Each day on the lake produced lots of fish (Walleye, Pike and Bass) and we often moved into an area where locals had no luck with live-bait, but we produced fish with artificial bait. At the end of the day it will come down to technique and fishing locations, bait is only one part of the equation.

To make a long story short, when the tourney was complete the winning weight for the tourney broke the lake record for total weight... so do an internet search on the PWT Can-Am in Dryden and read up on the winning patterns.

Best part was I saved money as I did not have to purchase a couple of flats of crawlers, dozens and dozens of minnows and leaches. Not to mention I did not have to carry all the equipment to keep the bait alive all week in hot summer weather.

I still like my live bait in situations where I want the live minnow to swim around or a ribbon leach to slither through the water under a slip float (mind you the new GULP floating leaches work great under a float) for those tough days when the walleye are in a negative mood. When I am on the move pulling bouncers with spinners or slow death Gulp Alive is pretty hard to beat.

Good fishing...

-sheldon

Hello, I bought a tub of Gulp Alive. Yes it is expensive, and no Im not catching fish on it. Ive only tried it for trout though, its probably more for bass or walleye?

I agree totally this has minnows and leeches in it. (tub) and it leaks BAD going to transfer it to a tupperware toodaddle thingy! I want to hit Rice lake for Walleye! Can't wait

Hello, I bought a tub of Gulp Alive. Yes it is expensive, and no Im not catching fish on it. Ive only tried it for trout though, its probably more for bass or walleye?

Nope.... it's not just for bass and walleyes.... caught white fish, perch, channel cats, rock bass, drum, lake trout etc....

I think you should give it another try..... that stuff is lethal B)

Leechman