minnows + fishtank = can I?

GBW

So my daughter asked me this evening if we can keep any of the minnows we catch at the cottage in her fish tank. So can we? Even if we buy minnows can we keep them in her fish tank after our day on the water? I've never thought of this until now but she's got me wondering...

Edited by GBW

Sure you could keep them no problems, just remember they prefer cold water cause of oxygen levels, other than that if you keep them in warm water just make sure there is enough oxygen

My fishing buddy drops in plastic water bottles (frozen) in the summer to keep the temps down. He's had a variety of fish for several years now.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Some species of minnows are a lot easier to keep, I have found that Emerald shiners seem to need the coolest water and highest oxygen content. Let that water get to warm and they are done. Chubs keep fairly well, will handle a bit warmer water, you need to keep a screen over the top for them, they like to jump out, especially bigger ones.

Fathead minnows keep well, the main reason they are sold in most bait stores here away from Lake Erie. Silver and golden shiners also do fairly well. Never been successful trying to keep small shad alive.

Up north I used to keep my bait in my livewell with the timer on, they stayed alive for a couple days. I did have to put screens on the overflows to keep them from swimming out.

Shiners can be a bit of a pain, but they do alright short term. I had some for a month and a bit. The tanks temperature will average out to that of the room. The temp shouldnt surpass their upper tolerance in most peoples homes. Just keep the tank away from furnace vents and windows. If you stay on a steady cycle of new water for the shiners it helps as well. Keep 2 buckets filled with water. The frozen water bottle is a good technique if temp is a problem.

If you're on city water let it sit about 12-24 hours before putting the water in the tank. As far as the filter goes, don't use anything that will kill bacteria on it. Rinsing off the screen...(or whatever your filter has) with simple tap water quickly is good enough. You dont want to kill the bacteria on it. They take the ammonia outa the water.

Some species do better then others....as mentioned earluer. Central mud-minnows, and shiners i have found to be the most difficult to keep. The former is worse then the latter. Most of the dace are nice and easy. Longnose dace and pearl dace are acceptions as they prefer cold water. Redbellies do pretty good, and blacknose dace do the best. Creek chub and blunt nose are pretty simple. Tolerent of warmer water temps and are very versitile to habitat types. Sticklebacks are easy as well but don't last overly long. 6 moths at the most. They are a riot tho. The have a lot of personality as far as minnows go and are really entertaining.

Suckers do well as do central stonerollers, but you need small versions. If they are to big they dont do nearly as well.

If you're using minnows from teh minnow store watch of for disease. I can't tell you the number of times ich has showed up in my tank from minnow shop shiners.

-Dave

Shiners can be a bit of a pain, but they do alright short term. I had some for a month and a bit. The tanks temperature will average out to that of the room. The temp shouldnt surpass their upper tolerance in most peoples homes. Just keep the tank away from furnace vents and windows. If you stay on a steady cycle of new water for the shiners it helps as well. Keep 2 buckets filled with water. The frozen water bottle is a good technique if temp is a problem.

If you're on city water let it sit about 12-24 hours before putting the water in the tank. As far as the filter goes, don't use anything that will kill bacteria on it. Rinsing off the screen...(or whatever your filter has) with simple tap water quickly is good enough. You dont want to kill the bacteria on it. They take the ammonia outa the water.

Some species do better then others....as mentioned earluer. Central mud-minnows, and shiners i have found to be the most difficult to keep. The former is worse then the latter. Most of the dace are nice and easy. Longnose dace and pearl dace are acceptions as they prefer cold water. Redbellies do pretty good, and blacknose dace do the best. Creek chub and blunt nose are pretty simple. Tolerent of warmer water temps and are very versitile to habitat types. Sticklebacks are easy as well but don't last overly long. 6 moths at the most. They are a riot tho. The have a lot of personality as far as minnows go and are really entertaining.

Suckers do well as do central stonerollers, but you need small versions. If they are to big they dont do nearly as well.

If you're using minnows from teh minnow store watch of for disease. I can't tell you the number of times ich has showed up in my tank from minnow shop shiners.

-Dave

Ok, tell the truth.........you name yours don't you? :lol::P