Three days of trib fishing

Joeytier

Do you think we're harming the fish by holding them like that? We weren't coming in contact with the gills themselves, just grabbing underneath the gill plate.

Do I think... No I know you are harming them by holding them like that. Judgeing by the net on the ground which dosen't really look that fish friendly I can asume the fish was netted "which with that kind of net does more harm then good by removing slim and scales" layed on the ground pulled out of the net by the gill plate rinsed off so it looks clean of debree the held by the gills for a photo-op before being dumped back in off the bank. Please correct me if I am off on my accounts...

Easy guys, I shared a drift or two with this dude during the week and he was careful with the fish. Gill holds aside (lets not get carried away there) I never saw him hurt any fish.

Suit yourself if you want to dunk your hands while its minus 5 be my guest, ill stick with the net.

I would have been more careful to keep that bridge out of the pictures, but I was there before this report was posted and there was 20 cars on a week day so give it a rest he didnt single handedly ruin the river.

Do I think the internet spoiled this river? Yep. Do I think that this one guy did it? No chance, it was a mess the last two seasons as well

Edited by kemper

bigred lets calm down, you told me about this creek in the fall maybe by accident maybe not but I learned it from you( you were talking about it). Bigred chill out brother its nice to see you care about the tribs bud. When you get back maybe we can do some voluntary work and better the fishery. these rivers are what they are bud they get pounded and that’s that now if we can improve the fishery and get some changes made we wont need to worry about keeping secrets because there will be enough fish for everyone to catch and release. Ps I saw you dad today great guy always nice to share a few drifts with him.

Topics like this (and big headed pin fishermen posting in them) are why I don't fish for tired spawned out trout anymore.

Steel fishing has gotten almost as silly as salmon season. Joey, nice fish. Everybody else, just unclench & grow up.

Internet hero reports ruined the east all together.

True steelheaders learned to keep quiet a long time ago.

well said, too many guys here want to be recognized as good fishermen, and sometimes forget to be smart and just open all cards, i personally didn't know this locations but found it in 5 min on google maps. keep the details out and stop trying to be cool!!! you found a spot, keep your mouths shut, so you don't complain afterward about crowds, garbage and so on.

Well at least we know it's spring and the "biologists" are out in full force ! :blahblah1:

I guess you all hang out on a fishing forum for the NF threads... since you feel the fishing threads shouldn't be posted. You'd think that creek had just been dug last week with an excavator and nobody knows about it yet. That bridge has been shown in many threads over the years.. nothing new. And if you've never seen the scenery in person....do you really think someone is gonna print the pic and then drive to every stream looking for it. I didn't think so...

Well at least we know it's spring and the "biologists" are out in full force ! :blahblah1:

I guess you all hang out on a fishing forum for the NF threads... since you feel the fishing threads shouldn't be posted. You'd think that creek had just been dug last week with an excavator and nobody knows about it yet. That bridge has been shown in many threads over the years.. nothing new. And if you've never seen the scenery in person....do you really think someone is gonna print the pic and then drive to every stream looking for it. I didn't think so...

its not too many pedestrian bridges to start with, so it's not that hard.

i think..

bigredfisher

This river has been on the net for the last 2 years, If you think this one post ruined the creek you're wrong. How did you find about it? Did you spend countless hours driving and scouting or was it a friend that told you?and that friend told you and how many others and so on.The pictures maybe should have had the background covered but there is many other factors why the rivers are so busy.I have fished the creeks for many years, 35 to be exact and have noticed the the crowds get more and more every year. Sit back and relax, drive and scout some new water and when you find the next honey hole remember and keep it to yourself. If you tell a friend I bet you in 2 years you will be right back here with the same problem. I was at a river the other day and watched a fellow angler land a huge Steelie in the same pool I was fishing,the fish had'nt been back in the water for more than 30 seconds and he was on the phone to his buddies giving directions to where he was. It's a never ending battle so get out and find yourself a new creek and don't forget!

Don't tell anyone.

Thanks

Backlash

Don't worry about those guys Dude - Some beauty fish you got there with your Pops! It's hard to beat time on water with your old man! Some people just strait up have issues. (usually steelheaders lol - just kidding Kemp/Solo/ and the rest of you boys) We're all in this sport because we love it, and personally I like sharing it with others, so please don't let a few "bad apples" spoil the board for you.

Cheers,

UF

This is why I bought a boat, traded all my float gear, and took up musky fishing.

It will never change. I almost convinced myself to go hit the east tribs the other day, but screw that......I couldn't handle it. Too many friggen yahoos for me........and I live 10 mins from 3 of them!!

Nice fish Joey, never mind the naysayers. The tribs will be packed whether you post your pictures or not. Just keep posting them.......

Sinker

Well, I wasn't expecting quite this much of a backlash, considering that exact same bridge had been posted in TWO separate reports BEFORE mine no more than a week ago. :lol:

Grow up, the word is out on it.

Also, to the user who was concerned with my fish handling techniques....How else do you suggest I handle a fish for photos? Steelhead, especially smaller ones are nearly impossible to tail, which I'm sure you know, and I make a point of avoiding the actual gills every time. Also, I use the net at the creek because the majority of the holes are quite steep and difficult for landing fish. The fish are not in the net for long. Trust me, I do my best to ensure the safe handling of the fish. I understand the concern regarding widespread knowledge of small, fragile streams such as this one, and pretty much every stream in the GTA, but I'd say the bigger issue is the lack of knowledge regarding the fragility of these ecosystems. Not only do we need more CO's, but just an overall sense of ecological morality, and I'd like to think the tribs can easily sustain a large number of fisherman year after year.

My 2 cents. I'm done with this thread. :lol:

"How else do you suggest I handle a fish for photos? Steelhead, especially smaller ones are nearly impossible to tail, which I'm sure you know, and I make a point of avoiding the actual gills every time."

I suggest you handle them like every respectable steelheader, unless you hands the size of baseball gloves i dont think its that hard to subdue a fish lol

on a mor serious note. there are plenty of appropriate ways to handle fish regardless of size, no matter how careful u are not to touch the gills them selves im pretty sure the gill plates take some damage either way. im pretty sure the gill plates arent there for a handle. just imagine someone holding you up by your throat, completly baring all your weight. it might not kill you but sure would hurt wouldnt it? as for photos i realized over the years that the best looking shots are the most natural ones, fish in the water kinda stuff. that being said there are ocassions when ill pose with a fish but would handle them extra careful. its all common sense really,

Edited by l2p

If you guys are SO CONCERNED about eco-system and your

selk-clamined self-sustained fisheries like you have said,

my suggestion is NOT TO FISH at all.

or, better yet, to eliminate yourself from the earth so that there will be one less

human being to consume resources provided by the holy mother earth.

whether you C & R or not, you still hurt the fish. period.

Nice catches!