Batteries

fishnsled

I have a connection that can get me a set of these for the boat at a reasonable price. I believe they are 27 series. Will be getting 2 for the trolling motor and a cranking battery for the main motor. Anyone using these batteries? What's the good, the bad and the ugly on these? I've yet to find a big difference between any batteries I've had in the past. I figure most of them are made by the same company with a different label attached, at least it seems that way.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by fishnsled

My buddy had one for his cranking battery and it lasted 7 years.He tried using the same battery for his trolling motor(not a deep cycle)and they last 1-2 years and never did perform very well.

vance

They are top notch cranking batteries.

Unfortunately they will not do well on your electric motor.

Batteries are designed differently for deep discharges. Cranking batteries will not take being discharged and recharged too many times.

Thanks for the input gentlemen. These batteries I'm looking at are deep cycles as well as a cranking one for the main motor. I'm pretty sure my buddy said AC Delco, after checking the internet I'm guessing that they are the Voyager line. There was a price difference between the 2 types with the cranking battery being slightly cheaper.

Well....

If you buy an A/C Delco Battery.... group 27..Deep Cycle ..A Deep Cycle Battery is designed strictly for a long 12V low AMP discharge..IE: Trolling Motor , Bilge Pump, Fishfinder/GPS..lights , music and such. 12v low amp draw.

Don't expect these batteries to last If you're gonna crank an engine over with it...HIGH amp draw in an instant will drain a deep cycle battery in no time.

If you plan on starting and running electronics and a trolling motor from a single battery what you need is a.

Marine Dual Purpose... an Exide Stowaway should run you about 90.00$ part # 27dp750... 750 crankers for the engine[preferably a 150hp or less outboard] and the low amp reserve of a Deep Cycle.

I sell these things everyday.

Here's how it goes.....If you buy and A/C Delco Battery you're buying an EAST PENN battery..rebranded 20x over ..CTC 50 month Sure Start battery...Wal* 550.. UAP/NAPA ...NAPA ... Parts Master..ect.rolls of stickers and black batteries somewhere near AJAX On,

EXIDE make ...Stowaway...Nautilus ...Wal*Marine..Mercury .ect. and most Ford and Dodge for the Canadian Market...premium batteries from CTC 60/72/84 month warranty. P/R......

Same @ EXIDE a bunch of black batteries and rolls of stickers ...Sudbury On. serves the North.

If you need to go with 2 batteries you may prefer to do this ...

#1 Dual Purpose for the back end... Electronics and cranking....

#2 For the front if ya have a trolling motor a Deep Cycle.

I hope I didn't confuse you.

RFS

Thanks for the input gentlemen. These batteries I'm looking at are deep cycles as well as a cranking one for the main motor. I'm pretty sure my buddy said AC Delco, after checking the internet I'm guessing that they are the Voyager line. There was a price difference between the 2 types with the cranking battery being slightly cheaper.

Don't get ripped by buying a "Marine Starting" Battery... same battery different sticker and posts than a car battery. 50$ + difference sometimes.

RFS

Yes they are good Sled,you got it right,m-27's for deep cycles and m-24 cranking (unless you have a dfi engine,then I would run the biggest crank that fits your boat,they require more reserve to crank).And the marine starting are supposed to have thicker plates and are designed to handle being bounced around.

In my opinion, There all crap except one.

I have change more batteries then most people will ever see.

In heavy equipment the weakest link is the batterers.

IT take between 75 and 125 amps to start a 14 L diesel.

Modern equipment can draw 45 amps at a idol.

Then turn on 14.000.000 candle power of lights, 2 on board computers.

Once every thing is turned on the machine. It pulls 65 to 80 amps of continuous draw.

This battery is also the # one used in racing and in safety equipment through out the world.

I myself have been using this brand for over 30 years.

I have used them in boats,cars,bikes and sleds.

I would tell you what brand this is. But that would be unfair to it's competitors.

Also use a marine cranker. this battery is designed for this.

They have large plates in it, to with stand long periods of storage.

They are also built to with stand the hard jarring that is only found in the boating world.

I have a dual purpose DELCO VOYAGER Group 24 as my starting battery which runs ALL my electronics except my trolling battery. This is a Maintenance Free battery so no water every has to be added. For me this is a HUGE Plus because it would be a real pain to unbolt it in order to add water. But anyways I have had this battery for at least 8 years now. I would purchase this battery again in a heart beat if I could find someone here who still sells them but I haven't. Maybe I will get lucky and find one.

I also have this battery on charge with my on-board charger 24/7 365 days a year.

BTW Marine Starting Batteries are NOT the same as a automobile battery as the plates within the battery are cushioned better to handle the pounding the battery receives in a boat.

Bob

Edited by Billy Bob

BTW Marine Starting Batteries are NOT the same as a automobile battery as the plates within the battery are cushioned better to handle the pounding the battery receives in a boat.

Bob

I've visited the plant and the rep is a good buddy of mine....

The guts are the same as an automotive battery... the outer shell has some differences like grooves for straps and fasteners ... different posts and stickers...at least the Stowaway and Nautilus..Champion..

I the automotive line up they'll tell you that it's made with "Heavy Duty Robust Materials"

In the Marine line up they'll use different words like "Special Envelope" ....words used to sell stuff.

Think about it.... the battery in your car takes one hell of a pounding too..

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I use the delco series 27s have for a lot of years I usually get 5 or 6 years out of them. I go to the local chevy dealer and get mine I think I paid 75 or 80 $ for the last one it's been 2 or 3 years ago.

Only if you chain your show cars frame down to the trailer! I quickly learned to strap the tires instead and to let the suspension in the car do it's job.

When they are transported, at least on rail cars they chained down to the frames. Years ago when the tri-levels were completely open we would have to measure the top vehicles so we didn't make convertibles out of them (this still happened at times). When the overall hight was too much we would let out air from the tires and tight down the chains. Then you wonder why you got OEM tires with bad belts.......... <_<