Superior Shows some Kindness

anders

Well Lake Superior doesnt freeze over that often, adn when it does, the ice cna be pretty shotty, at best. This year however, is a different story. Currently lake superior around here is frozen tight, with 20-24 inches of solid black ice. So, last Saturday it was time to brave the arctic like conditions and head out onto Old Woman bay in seach of some superior steel. I took my brother and my grandmother out, (who by the way cant get enough of fishing). We set up in 12-15 ft of water and put on the biggest nk 28's we had. After 15 minutes of nothing, i head to my bag and squirt the lure with good ol dr.juice. Fifteen minutes later at the top of the jig, my arm gets yanked down by an angry, aggressive fish. It pulls line and within minutes its under the hole, water emerging over the edges...its close! As i continue to play it under the hole, feeling the headshakes, it goes to take another run...then the dreaded feeling...SNAP!...the line snaps somehow...discouraged...we continue fishing for another hour before packing it in, leaving me with more determination to try again.

On Monday i had that chance! Monday came around and the plan was to head out right after work again and try it all over. Set up in the same spot with the same setup hoping it wasnt a fluke. I immediatly throw some juice on the spoon and send it down to the icy waters. And began to jig, and jig, jig some more, then jigged some more. At about 630, i rest my arm down holding the rod...then WHAM!!! anther ticked off rainbow nails my spoon. This one had some weight i thought! We had an ice battle of epic proportions (for me anyways) that had me gaining an inch and then losing 10 yards, then gaining another inch, only to lose another 10 yards. Soon i had it under the hole again, i see it beneath the hole on its side and it completly covers the bottom of the 10 inch hole, and i felt my knees shake! Don't screw this up i thought...i tried to be patient with it as i tried to guide it into the hole, when i felt a sudden snag...NO, i though, drop my line down! ARRGGGHHH i end up hooking the bottom of the ice and the fish disappears, thinking and knowing he got the best of me. The joys of fishing...and not catching. Disappointed we fished till dark without another hit. Maybe i thought i can get out again, but with a storm coming, who knows..the ice might be out in a day.

Yesterday came along and the after effects of the storm were still showing its colours....high winds and -15temps felt like it was -30. But i headed out right after work again in hopes i might have some cover. I get to the lake and it was cold to say the least...it literally looked and felt like i was heading out onto the arctic. The dog happy...me cold. Figured i am here now, might as well try for a bit until the wind gets too much. The plan was the same as the other days, head out to the same spot with the same lure, this time i was going to try a still line with a shiner...when i got out...nope 1 line will do today...it was cold. Looked at the dog and he was curled at my feet...a malamute trying to brave the elements and here i am trying to catch a fish. I knew i was packing it in soon. Not 5 minutes of jiggins...WHAM...and scream of the reel...are you kidding me..another one!..this one came up fairly easy and when i saw it at the hole....i toook my time and didnt mess this up. Slowly pulled the fish onto the ice and a massive sigh of releif consumed my body, 27 inches of Lake SUperior Rainbow lay on the ice, all three treble hooks for the spoon had seized her mouth shut. I had dinner. Threw everything back in my back hook still in fish and i was outta there!

Here it is, hoping to get out again tonight or maybe tomorrow morning.

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

Some shots of the Old Woman bay of the times I was out fishing

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg