outboard motor question

rob v

I recently bought an older honda outboard - but it didn't come with fuel line or fuel line couplers. I couldn't locate an after market product made specifically for this motor (honda) so I bought a model (female coupler that hooks to the motor) that says its made for Johnson/Evinrude. It seems to fit and doesn't leak. I've gotten the motor to run but it's not running well and I'm trying to eliminate possible problems. I'm sure I've got some carb adjustments to make also.

Can the wrong fuel coupler make a difference to the operation of an outboard ??

I know there's people on this board with a lot of outboard experience and any input would be appreciated. Thx.

If you are looking for air leaks an unlit propane torch works great direct the gas at the questionable area and if it leaks the engine will speed up a little from the propane mark the spot and move on after you have covered everthing go back and reseal and try again.

Thanks for the info. I don't think it's sucking any air - the bulb pumps up and stays firm - and I don't see any fuel leakage. That unlit propane torch is a new one - I'm not sure I,m real comfortable with that idea - but it sounds like a good one.

I think the next step is the seafoam idea. I had planned on doing something like that eventually. thx.

Rob take the time and remove @ disassembly the carb properly ,remove the float bowl and all the components and let them soak in a carb cleaner ,Omc Engine tuner works magic overnight ,if the fitting fits on the motor and ya prime the bulb and it fills the carb and theres no leaks its fine

Edited by North East Shark

OMC engine tuner - besides a specialty marine store - can you buy this stuff anywhere else ?

unfortunatly its gotta be a dealer,but overnight this stuff will take the gunk out of anything and turn the varnished parts to a nice brass finish again,there are others available but I will not use anything else

There is a little ball inside the coupler which gets depressed and allows the flow when you connect to the motor, it stops the gas from coming out of hose when you disconnect, maybe and just maybe its not getting fully depressed because its not the right part for your motor, just a guess. :dunno:

I would try to get the proper coupler for that motor before getting in to more complicated stuff like dis-assembling and tinkering with carbs, replacing gaskets etc.

Hi Rob, I have a Honda BF8 with tank/hoses etc.

You're welcome to drop by and give it a run off my tank. Mine was running a little rough and hard starting but a little carb tweaking did the job. I'm sure mine could use a good carb cleaning as well!

South London... Bradley/Millabnk area

What size hp are we talking about?

If the inside diameter of the OMC style fitting is smaller than the Honda then it could be restricting fuel flow. However, I doubt that is the case. I'd bet its something else. I've replaced Mercury fuel connectors with OMC style and they work fine (and are better and easier to find).

I use spray oil like WD-40 instead of propane. You can buy seafoam at NAPA. That's the only place I've found it.

What problems are you experiencing? Its hard to help without knowing what's going on.