Looking to Buy...

Zubris21

First I'll start with the easier of the two... I think I want to buy a landing cradle, as a lot of my fishing up here will be out of a canoe (hopefully targeting big pike) and I think a cradle would be easier to bushwack with than a full sized net. Anyways I've looked online at BPS, Cabelas. Lebarons, Canadian tire and wallmart and haven't found any for sale. Does anyone know where I could order one online?

Secondly, all I have at the moment is a 6'6" medium action spinning outfit. It has worked great for me down south for walleye, bass and small to midsized pike. Up here I think I'll be getting into some bigger fish, so I think I need to beef things up a bit. With that in mind Im looking for some suggestions for a rod/reel that will suite my needs. If I can find something that will work, I'd love it to be a multi-purpose set up, where I could possibly use for steelhead/salmon in the rivers as well, and possibly even trolling for lakers.

Never really used a baitcasting reel. Have an older one at home that I can't figure out for the life of me, so I'm a little worried about that, but really am open to anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! and of course price is a factor, looking at maybe $150 for the combo as my ceiling price.

thanks

Andre

Hello Andre -

Le Baron does in fact carry cradles.

There are two types:

A larger muskie sized cradle by Frabill (60 inches):

http://lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/fishing/frabill_nets.pdf

And another, smaller one by Lucky Strike (48 inches):

http://lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp09/fishing/l...ike_telrods.pdf

Here's the link to order online:

http://lebaron.ca/catalogue/english/orderform.htm

-ADB

Edited by ADB

now why couldn't I find those on the lebaron site??? hmmm

The reel is a shimano Beastmaster... very similar to this one...

beastmaster

I had it cleaned and re-greased in the spring because I also though that was the problem. made no improvements. It may just be because I don't know how to use it, but I've gone out practicing with a 1.5oz weight attached and I honestly can't cast more than 10-15 feet. The spool just seems to have way too much resistance. I've played with all the settings, but there is very little improvement.

A Musky cradle from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

... but like Roy mentioned, a cradle is a 2 person operation.

I think you'd do much better with one or 2 of these Lindy gloves.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

Here's the link for the Lindy at Cabelas, they're a little more expensive there but I'm posting it for the product reviews... you should read them!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...rset=ISO-8859-1

Edited by GCD

If you are not sure about a baitcaster then stick with a spinnig rig. I added a baitcaster to my 'bag of toy's' last year (and another for this season) but find I still can chuck a senko on a hook much farther and with better aim with my spinning gear. Like the old saying, if it ain't broke... BUT I do like to troll with a baitcaster much more then a spinning rig.

You all may LOL at this but I got a Shimano 7' rod with a spinning reel at Walmart for $50 + taxes and LOVE it! To ech thier own so I guess you need to hit the stores to find out what you like, cheers.

Geoff

Andre, either something is wrong internally with that reel or it is not correctly adjusted. I have used those and was still using similar Shimano reels when my fishing days slowed. No problems casting a 1/4 ounce lure 100 feet the lure should drop steadily when the free spool button is pushed but not over run when it hits the floor.

Also like the rods in the picture and still have them.

The last time I hooked into a big pike from a canoe I had my partner paddle to shore, got out and landed her there. I got wet feet, but I didn't tip the canoe or lose the fish. Not always practical if there's no where decent to shore the boat though.

I find a cradle is nice if your in a stable boat which is low to the water and you've got a good partner. Like the other guys mentioned, out of a canoe a good conventional rubber net is probably the way to go. Most of the one's I've seen have a handle that shortens up for transport.

I've never got the hang of landing a good sized pike or really big walleye by hand, glove or not, but I NEVER reach for the net if I'm boating a bass...I have come to believe that anything other than a performing an un-assisted "lip-lock" is almost like cheating. More fun that way, and less harmful to the fish's protective slime.

If you buy a baitcaster you will be disappointed with any outfit you buy which costs less than about $250. I have a few "el-cheapo" Canadian Tire spinning rigs that I use and like quite a bit. However, I have never picked up a cheap (or even mid-range) bait reel that was worth having. For some reason unless you're willing to lay out somewhere around $200 JUST FOR THE REEL, you'll find you won't like it. It won't cast very far, very accurately and without birdnesting. You'll hate that peice of junk, because that's what it will be.

Edited by bonghitts

Thanks for the advice... as for the cradle, I was thinking it would be a 2 person job, and not necessarily always being used from a canoe. I just like the idea of keeping the fish horizontal in the water, with little strain on its body. Not to mention easier to measure. I agree things could be a little sketchy using one from a canoe, but as long as you have some good communication/cooperation with your fishing partner things should work ok.

As for the baitcaster, I appreciate the advice, some of you have mirrored my concerns, and perhaps I will stick with another spinning outfit. I really would like to get the reel I have now working, it is really frustrating, because I know it's a quality rod/reel combo, I'm just not seeing it. thanks again for the advice!

Just dont get the lucky strike cradle. ITs a hook magnet.......every fish I've landed in the one I have, something is caught in the mesh.........it drives me nuts!!

I would also reccomend the net. You can use it in more places too.......I really can't say I like the cradles myself. No chance if your alone with one, and a proper net works just as well as a holding pen.

Sinker