How come I never heard of this.

holdfast

Funny nobody's crying about this> Oh yea its Ontario and not on CBC. (also Liberal territory) Scary though. I can tell ya no word of a Lie, a Span of two years in Petawawa, My wife had a Miscarriage and I knew of at least three other people with the same thing in my Unit. They knew of other Miscarriages too. Chalk river is up river from the Drinking water. Doctors said is was stress on the Wives. Sure!

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/w-five/what-lies-...ath/#clip110518

Funny nobody's crying about this> Oh yea its Ontario and not on CBC. (also Liberal territory) Scary though. I can tell ya no word of a Lie, a Span of two years in Petawawa, My wife had a Miscarriage and I knew of at least three other people with the same thing in my Unit. They knew of other Miscarriages too. Chalk river is up river from the Drinking water. Doctors said is was stress on the Wives. Sure!

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/w-five/what-lies-...ath/#clip110518

They're just kiddin' aboot that Rob!... can'tcha take a joke?

... but seriously, this is a world wide problem and not just isolated to a certain area of Canada.

... but it does take care of your sig eh!

Dawg your very Observant. Seen it on a Licence plate here. Also got the Beagle testies on the Trailer hitch. Was looking for you last night on the chat.

Sorry Rob, but I was sober and had a full belly last night... I don't last too long that way. :(

Gimme a couple rhumba's and Pepsi's on an empty stomach and I'm like this though!!!

da Rooster on LSD!!! ;)

Sobriety sux... but so does addiction...

I remember posting about Cameco's uranium tailings a few months ago.

Unfortunately the Ganny could be in a bit of a toxic wasteland.

Some how this Bakelite situation is overtaking a more serious health(and fishing related) occurence in Port Hope.

In Port Hope, Cameco has leaked radioactive materials from uranium tailings as well as arsenic, into the ground

and harbour for last 60 yrs. This stuff has been found on public beaches and in peoples yards. Many folks there are getting sick. Cameco is loaded with cash and doing little.

Luckily i've never fished the Ganny or ate a fish from L. Ontario and never will.

IMG_0842.jpg

Thats uranium tailings under that tarp by homes and playground.

People have been talking about that area for soooooo long now.

I remember driving throuh Port hope as a kid, and my Dad "joking" about speeding up as we went through the area so we don't get sick.

Seriously,

Its about time a show was ran on the topic...hopefully some heads will be turned.

The contaminated waste site in Toronto is right beside the Hearn on Unwin avenue.

They just mix the contaminated soil dug up from old gas stations, paint thinner factories, Petroleum sites like the ones that used to be all over that area with truck loads of sand and send it out to construction companies to backfill around watermains, catch basins, storm drains, manholes. It is trucked out to all the new subdivisions in Markham, Brampton, Milton, Oakville, Burlington, and all over the GTA. So chances are.

There is always some form of environmental consequence from industry. Us older types should remember when everything in Sudbury was a shade of grey or when everything in the soo had a thick layer of dust on it every day. Solution was the super stack which in turn caused acid rain problems. Numerous lakes were wiped out because of a radical shift in ph levels. Contaminated waste, slag tailings, etc... will eventually leech into soil and the water table.

Malvern subdivision had a radioactive waste problem. Luminous paint (radioactive) was used in the manufacture of aircraft instrumentation, gunsights, etc.. that were made there back in WWII. The waste was just dumped in the field and accidentally discoverd after the subdivision had been built some 30 years later. Surprise!! There are hundreds of nasty forgotten places like that across Canada.

You can't make the stuff disappear any more than you can roll back time. All we, as a society, can do is try and manage the problems. Just be thankful you don't live or work near a chemical weapons dumping ground.

I remember when I grew up on the Dennison Mines townsite in Elliot Lake, we played in the uranium tailings, a nice fine yellow powder, like very soft sand. We also had our own private beach and in the mornings on the weekends we'd have to swish off the yellow film on top of the water before we went in so it didn't stain our bathing suits. Sheesh. Not sure if it had any effect on my health, but so far so good right!!!

Very interesting read Holdfast, thanks. And sorry about the miscarriage, that must have been hard.

Joey

You cant excavate the enitre area. You will only release the contaminants that are trapped in the soil.

That is why they don't disturb bottom in Hamilton Harbour.

I have been in the environmental business for 23 years and the media just likes to stir the pot.

They never look at the miriads of studies and research that go into these stories.

Port Hope has been a concern for over 50 years, no one has tried to hide it. they make it sound like a big cover up. It is not, its a real problem that has been managed since the 70's.

0 emmisions is impossible wherever man processes anything.

You have to contain the problem and limit its effects on the environment.

Since the landfill of soil and tailings wasn't contained in a modern clay lined landfill and without proper leachate treatment there is not alot you can do about it.

We monitor for radionucleids every year at the Oakville and Burlington water plants as well as every plant on the shores of Lake Ontario, the tritium levels have never been much above background levels in the lake.

The goverment isn't trying to hide things like everyone thinks.

beleive it or not people in the goverment do work for peoples best interest.

As Freud said, if there are more then 1 person a secret will never be kept.

Thats terrible in Port Hope...cant believe people are in denial about all that.

Here in London I believe we have Ontario's largest PCB waste site...the old Westinghouse/ABB site at Huron & Clarke rd. Apparently they are going to dig it all out this year, but I wonder about all the dust etc by doing this....might have to change my route away from that spot. Pottersburg/South Thames river got alot of contamination in the 80's, and that stuff don't go away easily.