Help 2 stroke or 4 have to decide now!

GeorgeJ

I just spent the last couple of hours or so calling around looking for a deal on a Yamaha outboard, my criteria was 20 or 25 hp 2 or 4 stroke long shaft non current because I'm shopping for a deal. I have come up with two choices one of which I will buy, first a 25 hp two stroke manual start or for $500 bucks more a 20hp 4 stroke electric start. I don't mind mixing gas and oil for the 2 stroke and I don't mind the extra maintenance the 4 stroke will require, I want to decide tonight because either one of these non currents are substantially less than 09's and will disappear soon. Thanks for your input. In case this influences your suggestions it's for a 14 ft jon boat with a modifed V hull, 2 people, 100lb lab, 35 mile long inland lake.

I like 2 strokes myself. A lot of hype with the 4 strokes in my opinion. While they both have advantages it should ultimately depend on it's use.

If you are taking the engine off and on your boat constantly, go 2 stroke. Lighter to lift and carry. Also an advantage is better power to weight ratio. 4 strokes are heavier and it's taking away efficentcy. I like the 2 stroke throttle responce and quick planing ability.

On the other side of the coin a 4 stroke may be better on fuel. Here it will depend on how much use it will actually get.

To each his own, thats why they make both.

I just spent the last couple of hours or so calling around looking for a deal on a Yamaha outboard, my criteria was 20 or 25 hp 2 or 4 stroke long shaft non current because I'm shopping for a deal. I have come up with two choices one of which I will buy, first a 25 hp two stroke manual start or for $500 bucks more a 20hp 4 stroke electric start. I don't mind mixing gas and oil for the 2 stroke and I don't mind the extra maintenance the 4 stroke will require, I want to decide tonight because either one of these non currents are substantially less than 09's and will disappear soon. Thanks for your input. In case this influences your suggestions it's for a 14 ft jon boat with a modifed V hull, 2 people, 100lb lab, 35 mile long inland lake.

I wouldn't consider doing an oil change on a 4 stroke "extra maintenance" matter of fact probably much less maintenance because, 1. you don't have to keep refilling the oil reservoir on a 4 stroke, and, 2, in my case, my 12 year old Honda 25 is running on the 2nd set of plugs, I may change them this spring, so the extra work theory is pretty much shot.

I have had both small and large.

My first was a 55hp Suzuki 2 stroke quick hole shot hard on gas smokey and noisy.

I also had an 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha yes it was a pleasure to carry compared to the 4 stroke 7.5 Honda four stroke that I had but again too noisy and too smokey.

These days I have a 50hp Honda 4 stroke as well as a 2hp now I will never go back to a 2 stroke.

Only the speed freaks will tell ya to get a 2 stroke but for you 25hp will be pleasantly quiet when trolling.

Pay the extra money and buy the fuel saving 4 stroke.

check out this article.

BTW nice boat and good luck with your purchase.

The decision to purchase an outboard engine is getting more selective as technology improves. As of now the majority of consumers are faced with several options when deciding upon what kind of outboards will best suite them. The number one factor lately is whether to purchase a new or used two stroke or four stroke engine.

When faced with this decision you must prioritize several features that are prevalent in each motor. For example, two-stroke motors are lighter, faster (in most cases) and less expensive. Four-stroke motors are cleaner, smoother, and more economical. Many people who run in lakes and rivers prefer 4 stroke boat motors because they make great trolling motors and meet the 2006 EPA mandated requirements. Others prefer 2 stroke engines when the need for top end performance and acceleration takes precedence. This is not to say that two-stroke engines cannot troll or four stroke motors are not fast. It's just a matter of preferences, features, and benefits that attract customers. Regardless of what you choose to purchase, if you use due diligence and do your research you cannot go wrong, Below is a table of pros and cons for both motors:

2-Stroke Outboards

Pros* Cons*

Lighter More Pollution

Accelerate Fast, In some Cases More Top End \ Smoke

Purchase Price Less Expensive\ Must Mix Gas with Oil (Non Oil Injection Models)

Easier to Repair Rougher Idle \than 4 strokes

Have Been Around For Almost 80 Years \Noiser than Four Stroke Outboards

Very Strong Used Market Harder to Start (in some cases)

Parts Availability\ Carburetors gum up if not used often

High Resale Value, High Demand Spark Plug Fouling

Simple Design Meaning Less Things To Go Wrong -

4-Stroke Outboards

Pros* Cons*

Quiet and Smooth \Heavy

Good Fuel Economy\ Often Expensive to Repair

Great Trolling Motors \Not As Many Trained Mechanics Yet (Growing Rapidly)

No Oil/Gas Mixture \Often Expensive to Purchase

Smooth Idle \Technology Still Being Improved

Less Pollution \Very Limited Used Market (Although Growing Rapidly)

Accepted at Any Body of Water \More Parts to Malfunction (Technology Improving)*

Future Production will Be all 4-Stroke or Similar \Most Not as Powerful as 2-Stroke Rated At Same HP*

Very Reliable \Harder to transport or position in storage w/o a stand

*These are based on AFA Marine's Comparisons. We in no way are responsible for purchasing decisions influenced by the material found on this web page. Please do your own research prior to making an outboard motor purchase. This article does not compare direct fuel injected 2 stroke models.

Summary:

What should I buy, a 4-Stroke or a 2-Stroke?

Well that really depends on your boating situation. Here is list that may help you decide which motor is appropriate for you.

Choosing a Four-Stroke Outboard Engine

When you are required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of water

To use as a lake trolling motor when smooth and quiet operation is a priority

Larger budget to spend on a motor

When weight of engine is not an issue

When you feel as though noise and smoke are serious factors in your purchasing decision

To use as a kicker or emergency back up motor on your boat.

If you don't want the hassle of mixing gas and oil.

If you are dissatisfied with two stroke performance

Choosing a Two-Stroke Outboard Engine

When you are not required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of water

To use as an emergency back up or kicker motor

Limited budget to spend on a motor

When weight of engine is an issue and you want the most power for the weight.

Familiarity with engine repairs

Limit budge on repair costs

Hard usage and abuse and you want something that can be modified, repaired, and adjusted easily

Speed, acceleration, top-end, and performance are issues.

Interested in finding a good deal on a used motor. There are more used 2-stroke outboards available.

If you want motor that all marine mechanics are certified to work on.

You really cannot go wrong with either choice. Both motors have their advantages and limitations. Right now you are safe to purchase a 2-stroke motor in most places and not have to worry about being excluded from boating. There are some lakes that require 4-stroke motors but the majority have not adapted these mandates yet. We suggest that you review some of the information on this page as a source of knowledge when it comes time to purchase an outboard motor.

Sincerely,

You should go with the maximum HP which is 25hp 4 stroke yes it costs more electric start is always better.Buy what you want now and not regret it later.Ask the dealer where you purchased the boat which shaft lenghth you will need.If you buy the 4 stroke you will get the money back in fuel savings less spark plugs and no oil to mix or buy.If you can get the motor with power trim then buy that too it will improve the performance of the boat and saves fuel.

You saved alot on the boat why not spend more on the motor.Can't wait for your decision :dunno:

I bought my boat new last year transfered my old motor 50hp Honda onto the new boat but my maximum hp was 60hp it was not enough for my heavier boat.

I just bought a ..........

Edited by Mike the Pike

I wouldn't think twice about a 25 2 stroke. There is nothing wrong with 2 stroke engines. The yammies run 100:1 mix.......that's barely any oil at all.

If you put a 20 4 stroke, beside a 25 2 stroke, the 4 stroke will be MASSIVE! A 2 stroke 25 will make your boat fly.

I know, I know.......4 strokes are the way to go, so much quieter, so much cleaner......blah, blah, blah.......I still like my 2 strokes.

I have a 40 2 stroke on my boat. A 40 4 stroke is almost 100lbs heavier......and just friggen massive. I raced a guy with a 40 4 stroke and just smoked him. Same hull.

Again, I wouldn't even think about it, get that 2 stroke. You won't upgrade, because your maxed out on power. If you do upgrade, it will be the whole rig.........

I wouldn't put a 4 stroke on my own boat. JMHO :) Too friggen big and heavy........and I like the smell of a 2 stroke on a nice cold morning :)

Sinker

I would go with the 4 stroke. The Only Disadvantage is its heavier.

Advantages.

Quieter

Better on Gas

Trolls down

Electric Start. Did I say electric start

cheaper on oil

easier maintenance

Heres the Kicker, dont want to start rumours, but I got a feeling going green may ban some two strokes in some waters in the near future.

Edited by holdfast

Link to Yamaha specs

Hard to believe but the Yamaha specs have the 20hp 4 stroke at only about 10lbs more than the 25hp 2 stroke

Exaclty.......more weight and less power!!!!

Put it this way, if you had a choice of more power with a lighter engine, or less power with a heavier engine what would you do??

How much fuel do you think you'll save with a 20 4 stroke over a 25 2 stroke?? If you have the right power on your boat, the last thing your going to worry about is fuel......especially on a 25 hp.

To me, the 2 stroke makes more sense. Less money, less weight, more power.

4 stroke is a tiny bit less money, more weight, less power........doesn't make sense to me??

Its your choice in the end, but there is nothing wrong with a 2 stroke!!!!!

Sinker

All depends on what kind of boating you want to do! Two years ago, I bought a new 16' dual console and maxed out the HP with a 75 Mercury 2 stroke. I have had both 2 and 4 and they each have advantages etc. I did a lot of research/questions/list/pros/cons!! Almost drove myself (and everyone else nuts)Biggest decision maker was "how do we plan to use this motor,today,tomorrow?"

Me, I zip out to where I want to go and then use my Minnkota, don't hardly ever troll as I am mainly a Caster(Musky). Kids like to go tubing/boarding etc a lot. 4 stroke wouldn't get them up as well.

So far NO REGRETS. Very little maintenance just routine, key is to be pro-active. THERE ARE SOME 200 MOVING PARTS IN A 4 STROKE AND MAYBE 10 IN A 2 STROKE!! I do 95% of maintenance myself.

I currently have a Honda 9.9 for a kicker and it does that job fantastic!

Do your research and you will be fine. Just remember that you will sooner or later need to get it serviced ...so make certain that a dealer is close by

FT

Both are fine motors. Since you don't have a preference between 2 or 4 stroke and you are just looking for the best performance possible then the answer is obvious. You should get the 2 stroke. More power + less weight + less money = the better option. The only real benefit of the 4 stroke is the electric start and quieter running.

Fuel consumption may be better with the 4 stroke, but that depends on how you run it. At WOT they all use about the same amount of fuel. The savings come at trolling and (sometimes) cruising speeds. However, the 20 hp will have to work harder to attain the same cruising speed as the 25 hp. Could be you won't see any fuel savings at all so I wouldn't use that as a determining factor in this case.

Exaclty.......more weight and less power!!!!

Put it this way, if you had a choice of more power with a lighter engine, or less power with a heavier engine what would you do??

How much fuel do you think you'll save with a 20 4 stroke over a 25 2 stroke?? If you have the right power on your boat, the last thing your going to worry about is fuel......especially on a 25 hp.

To me, the 2 stroke makes more sense. Less money, less weight, more power.

4 stroke is a tiny bit less money, more weight, less power........doesn't make sense to me??

Its your choice in the end, but there is nothing wrong with a 2 stroke!!!!!

Sinker

Sinker most motors being 4 stroke or 2 stroke have the same top speed .I admit the 2 stroke gets you there faster .I have owned both have you?

no more 2 SMOKES for me.

4 stroke all the way.BTW you have the right boat :whistling:

let the can of worms be open

SuperStock_1613R-10943worms.jpg

Not all of them smoke Mike. :whistling: You know that.

As a matter of fact there are 2 strokers out there that have less emissions than most 4 strokes.

Using proper mixtures and good oil in your 2 strokers will result in less smoke too.

As far as top speed I also disagree. The extra weight of the 4 stroke slows you down all things being equal.

Edited by Bernie

Not all of them smoke Mike. :whistling: You know that.

As a matter of fact there are 2 strokers out there that have less emissions than most 4 strokes.

Using proper mixtures and good oil in your 2 strokers will result in less smoke too.

As far as top speed I also disagree. The extra weight of the 4 stroke slows you down all things being equal.

I think you fiberglass boat performs better with your etech because it has 40 more hp that the 130 Honda you were running.I think you were somewhat under powered before you upgraded to 175hp this may explain why the Honda used more fuel than you etech it was forcing too much.

I have had Lots of 2 chokers in my days and own 3 4 strokes now 50 and 2/ 9.9 all yamaha and if a few mph is the diffence think of it this way if it takes you 20 min to get to a spot with a 2 choker and takes you 21.5 min with a 4 stroke what is 1.5 min. to have a motor that can troll all day with no smoke. clean running. great on fuel and oh ya it purrrrrrrrrssssssss not spits and sputters lol Look at all buys as pay now or pay later. Buy the best now and forget the rest. if you are not sure most dealers will let you do a water test to close a deal. so put money down to hold the deal and ask the dealer for a water test in the spring. just my 3 cents worth

ps oh ya and the 4 stoke will charge better then any 2 choker

Edited by fishhunter

I have had Lots of 2 chokers in my days and own 3 4 strokes now 50 and 2/ 9.9 all yamaha and if a few mph is the diffence think of it this way if it takes you 20 min to get to a spot with a 2 choker and takes you 21.5 min with a 4 stroke what is 1.5 min. to have a motor that can troll all day with no smoke. clean running. great on fuel and oh ya it purrrrrrrrrssssssss not spits and sputters lol Look at all buys as pay now or pay later. Buy the best now and forget the rest. if you are not sure most dealers will let you do a water test to close a deal. so put money down to hold the deal and ask the dealer for a water test in the spring. just my 3 cents worth

ps oh ya and the 4 stoke will charge better then any 2 choker

well said .

Bernie is right I think the new Etechs do not smoke my question is do they shake alot during a slow troll every one I ever used was annoying shake rattle and roll while trolling .Not to mention they make other things in the boat vibrate.

Edited by Mike the Pike

yeah without question 4 Stroke Yamaha,I could tell ya about my last E tec or #s of friends that bought the hype of E tec and are/where very dissapointed,plugs within 40hrs complete powerheads in less than 150 hrs Max ,turning pitifull lil props to reach max Rpms,Great fuel economy thou,IMO todays injected 2 strokes are so choked up with emissions crap such as my 07 115 Etec they cant compete,theres also twin 200 HO Etecs on the work boat that have been semi flawless ,my Money is on 4 stroke from here out

"When you are required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of water"

Do these "4-Stroke Only" bodies of water actually exist? Is there a single lake in Ontario that bans 2 strokes but allows 4 strokes? What about other provinces or even the states?

That will not happen in my lifetime.

And yes Mike, I've had both.

I would put my 2 stroke up against any 4 stroke 40 in a race......I'll win everytime.

I know its not about speed. Its about what you get for your money. Why pay more for less??? Doesn't make sense to me.

We're talking a 25 here......not a 250!

Sinker

"When you are required to operate in a "4-Stroke Only" body of water"

Do these "4-Stroke Only" bodies of water actually exist? Is there a single lake in Ontario that bans 2 strokes but allows 4 strokes? What about other provinces or even the states?

LOL Take it easy, but it makes for a good Rumour eh. But then again some idiot wanted us to pay a Carbon Tax.