Spring crappie fishing

ERB

Is it hard to catch Crappie? what is the basic rig?

1/16th ounce or 1/32nd ounce jig inside a micro tube...(try various colors/combinations)...under a light slip float...

Keep in mind to not fish on bottom...crappie are always looking upwards for food...not hard to catch if they are "on"...

Beans has pretty much got it. The only thing I would add is to have another rod set up with a beetle spin type lure on another rod. You can use this to search for active fish and then hone in on the school by finesse fishing the area.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone stated earlier, check your regs to make sure the lake you choose is actually open to fishing (of any type). The lake I fish for Pike/Walleye openner is closed to ice fishing and does not open for any type of fishing until openner in May. But then again, you can help the economy and get a nice fat fine, I hear they are tough to chew but are not bad once you clean em.

1/16th ounce or 1/32nd ounce jig inside a micro tube...(try various colors/combinations)...under a light slip float...

Keep in mind to not fish on bottom...crappie are always looking upwards for food...not hard to catch if they are "on"...

Maybe i gotta try my luck on these crappie..... so just a small float and a small jig.....who knew! :whistling:

hum... I have never fished for and or caught a crappie before (bass only person but that's changing ;)) so now I guess I have to try for them with all these posts about how good it is... Are they good eats? what taste is it most like?

hum... I have never fished for and or caught a crappie before (bass only person but that's changing ;)) so now I guess I have to try for them with all these posts about how good it is... Are they good eats? what taste is it most like?

They are DELICIOUS. Similar to other fish with white flesh, sorta a cross between bass/perch/pike/walleye. I caught these buggers while fishing for bass/perch at night in the summer time and they were fun to catch! The big ones come to shore at night in the summer, they become more solitary after spring. This is the first time I've learned about their spawning / spring habits so I will be targeting them every weekend on ice-out.

Seems like there's a fair amount of ppl who haven't fished for these guys that are getting interested on the board, should be good to head out to these areas together when the time comes.

Edited by Bass Killer