Finishing my basement

icefisherman

Well,

I've decided to do my share in supporting the Canadian Economy by pumping some money into it while finishing my basement. Wasn't planning to do it for the next few years but with the added incentive of $1300 tax credit in current budget (to be used by Jan 27 2010) we'll be doing it this year.

Probably in stages as funds become available.

Done some reading trying to understand what is involved and have a good idea...

Want to find someone with experience to lead and me helping him as much as I can to cut down on the cost.

I can do my own copper pipes, painting, and tiling (for the bathroom) and want to be actively involved in everything else.

Size is about 900 sq. feet. I'll be doing one bedroom, one bathroom storage and mechanical room.

Drywall and drop ceiling. I am considering few options for the floor.

Budget is about $10K so I need to find someone who can do a good job within this budget.

Again with AS MUCH involvement of myself as possible.

Maybe someone here qualified in this kind of work would be interested.

Location is in Georgetown, ON.

Feel free to PM me if so.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

quite a project to undertake by yourself.....ive done a few basements in my day....and they do take alot of work.....now you say you have 10k to spend.....pending on your finishings that might not be enuf or just come barely close to cover all your building materials......i usually spend for an average basment.....between 9k and that is using pretty cheap stuff to around 15k giving me a little more moderate finishings....any contractor would easily quote 20k to round 30k for that work....

do some homework first....

drop cielings are wonderful but they are a little more in price than drywall....between the floor and the cieling that will be your most pricey items...when buying materials....as for labour....plumbers get the nod in that dept...

now remeber if your doin the electrical you dont need a liscence but if someone other than the home owner goes near your electrical box they better have a masters liscence...

anyways ....if you need some recomendations for trades....gladly recommend a few

cheers peter

Doug, Truer words could not be spoken.

Icefisherman.. I would be glad to help you with any questions you may have in the future.. I might know a few things about building houses ;) workwear is correct in telling you that a drop ceiling is more $$ then a finished drywall ceiling though.. Pete is a good guy... that is why I hired him! LOL...

Anyways if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.. and include pictures if possible... and I dont give a flying rats behind what Mike Holmes says... I prefer Steel stud in a basement with a proper sill gasket... it will last forever!!

Ohhh and whatever you do... do not purchase that 2x2 drylock crap @ 16,000,000.00 per/sqf... Delta Shield and plywood... save yourself more then half the cost for the exact same thing.. pin to the floor where needed... otherwise let it float.

G

Emil, not sure what insulation you have in the basement currently but if you look into the Eco Energy program, there are some good grants for insulation. You would pay around $325 for the home energy assessment and any improvements you do you get money back based on the improvement. There are very good rebates available for insulation, especially basements, so you will come out ahead if there is not much insulation there now.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/persona...alify-grant.cfm

Guys,

you all have a point - especially Doug ha ha :o

But that been said I have budgeted $10,000 for this project so it'll be $10,000 more or less....

I would imagine in this tough economic conditions there is a guy out there (not a huge company to pay overheads on) who can use good chunk of those $10K...

I am not an expert but should be able to do a lot of things when instructed by an expert therefore saving big on the total cost.

Few neighbor have done their basements (aprox. same size and houses built by the same builder) and they have done it mostly themselves or with help of friends/family and yes they told me $10,000 though tight is fully possible.

I am learning this stuff as I go by reading and reading some more ...and there are lots of new things for me, but I feel if I buy materials smart/on good sale prices and do most of the work myself under instruction and while helping the experts it is doable. I just don;t give up that easy :D

Gerrit, I'll PM you shortly as there hundreds questions in my head...

Anyhow, my father often says: "when you have a beard you WILL find a shaver for it" :rolleyes:

Bottom line is for me $10K is a lot of money and me and my wife work very hard for them, so if someone thinks I am not day dreaming and it can be done within this budget let me know.

I am just thinking if I was a framer for example and have been laid off work 10 days ago, maybe doing a job like that and getting few dollars for it may not be so bad considering the alternative. Something that could be beneficial to both of us.

Anyhow....I'll have my basement finished before this tax credit thing expire you can rest assured! ;)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Emil... That is exactly the type of person you want! If I was not so busy I would help you out for a day or two and set you on your way... all it would cost you is a day fishing and supper :) Perhaps a few hours some weekend soon.... I can lend a helping hand

While 10k will be tight... depending on the size of your basement it is doable.. especially if you know a few people willing to donate you a couple things.. your bathroom will be the major expense (depending on fixtures) and the biggest pain in the ass...

So I am willing to donate a 600.00 white Pedestal sink that has less then a months use.. complete with fixtures! in polished stainless steel... it is from a bathroom reno I did last year.. I kid you not.. less then a months use.. but I could not throw it out!!!!.... so I hung onto it..... It is yours we can meet somewhere and you can grab it...

I also had a $4000.00 jacuzzi tub and new Toto toilet from the same job... but they have been donated away to others some time ago.

If the wife is ok with a pedestal sink.. it would be my honour to help out a fellow OFC'r

G.

Edited by Gerritt

hey gmc....are you sure bout that.......i was always under the impression that if you do it yourself as the homeowner you do not need to pull athe permit.......

oh and also...icefisherman......you have to consider the cost of all them tools.....they sure make life easier when building a basement

now remeber if your doin the electrical you dont need a liscence but if someone other than the home owner goes near your electrical box they better have a masters liscence...

anyways ....if you need some recomendations for trades....gladly recommend a few

cheers peter

BUT you still have to take out an electrical permit with the Electrical Safety Authority and have inspections done.

And, yes. you have to take out a building permit and have inspections done.

Liability is the priority here, insurance companies look for home renovations done without permits when assessing damages just so they won't have to pay.

The guys are correct also that a suspended ceiling costs more but is installed quicker, less mess and makes access for future wiring, cabling, plumbing issues etc. a whole lot easier.

You know guys....I've often read on this board of people helping other people with all kinds of things....never thought I may need similar help but hey...I've got few very kind and generous offers from good fishing buddies of mine from this board and it sure makes my heart feel good.

I've checked and workwear is right if I do my own electrical work no permit is required.

I guess all I need is someone to point me and tell me "run this wire from here to there" - I am sure I can do it and then a real electrician can only connect the finishing touches.

I've got most if not ALL the tools that will be needed - all kinds of saws, drills, etc. Even if I need any it'll be minimal.

Gerritt, brother...make it 5 days fishing on Lake O. or Lake Erie with suppers and consider it done! :Gonefishing:

Steve,

I'll look into this grants thing.

And GMC appreciate your kind offer Bud, will let you know as I get to that stage.

I guess first step is framing...

Thanks to All who have replied!

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

No Emil.. Yes you can do it yourself if you aren't licenced... but to be legal you still require an electrical inspection/permit....if you really wanna be precise and legal. I'd be darned if I'd go thru that for a basement... but since you don't appear skillled/comfortable for the panel hook up I'd be getting someone that is... and then it's catch 22 because they risk losing their licence for not calling for an inspection.

Outside walls... did mine a dozen + years back using 3" thick Celfort (R21 I believe) tight against the wall and retained with 1x3 strapping drilled and screwed into the block wall. Slap the drywall over and you're done. No framing.. no air space behind to collect mold.. etc. and was inspected by building inspector. It was mandatory to have basement insulated for new house permit sign off on the "insulation" inspection. How are all these houses out there built post 1995 without basements insulated.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne my basement now has insulation on the top 50% of the wall height, it is the pink stuff covered with plastic sheet.

I am sure you are right about the inspections BUT I know of two neighbors and one friend close by none of them got any permits. So I think I am with you on this one...I am sure I'll find someone to do the final connections (licensed or not) ot to tell me how to do them myself. That will not be a problem.

GBW I've read the same framing is 1.5 to 2" away from the wall.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Hey Emil, just be aware that if you do get a permit, the municpality will then be made aware of the addition fixtures (ie Toilet, sink and drain) and will adjust your property taxes and potentially your water bill based on the the added draw on the system.

HH