snowmobile engine NOT siezed

skeeter

97 ski doo 500 sle touring

does anybody have an idea on how much it is to rebuild the engine?

any members here do that sort of work?

does anyone know of a good and reasonable place?

ITS NOT SEIZED......

i can turn the primary clutch by hand 3 or 4 turns backwards.

then it gives a clink and stops turning, like there is something caught in it.

i can then pull the start cord and it will turn foward the same amount and stop.

both pistons are moving up and down.

the plugs are a greyish brown and dry.

the fan belt is still in working order and it also turns when i turn the clutch.....

so now im hoping some one will be able to tell me what they think it could be.....

thanks

dann

Image025.jpg

Edited by skeeter

Guest skeeter99

how do you know it is seized?

what happened explain?

we might be able to help

a engine for that are a dime a dozen (good thing)

but they are very good engines

i was driving out on simcoe today and it lost power and quite.

when you turn the key it only gives a loud clink.

the pull cord will not come out.

and the front clutch will not turn by hand even with the drive belt off

and it died right in the middle of a slush pond

the slush went right over the top of my boots

i did drive thru quite a few of them..

Edited by skeeter

k definitly seized it right up and more then likely the top end. the question is how bad the cylinders are. if they arent in bad conidtion and just need to be honed then you need a piston kit. you can get full kits on ebay for $89 or though the dealer for $300ish. if the cylinders arent bad then it should be 2-3hours shop time. if you got a mangled cylinder then its gonna cost you alot unless you can find a used one. good luck!

More than likely a piston has seized. But why did it happen? These engines are quite durable. There is usually a cause to the problem.

Most of the time it is because of a lean condition from a restricted jet in a carburator or a bad seal in the crankcase.

See this happen often where guys come in buy the parts and get thier buddy to fix them up but they don't fix the real issue.

Then they blame the machine :whistling:

Edited by Bernie

Lack of oil is a real possibility Wayne, but conditions today would call for a lot more throttle in slush and heavy snow and that's where lean carbs blow pistons. I had mine out on the lake today too and had it pinned to the bar several times.

That's why I suggested that is the "likely" cause. It was more for a heads up to fix the cause as well as the symptom for anyone when fixing up any kind of engine.

Don't know too many shops down your way Skeeter. Perhaps some other OFC'ers could suggest a local for you.

As far as an estimate goes it will depend a lot on what needs to be replaced. And you won't know for sure until it comes apart.

Edited by Bernie

would it turn over once it cooled off,tell ya powering thru that slush is tough on them ,those Rotary 500s are tough,but nothing lasts forever,300.00 for a set of 20 thou Wisecos ,80 cyl to bore em ,get a crank from Adrien Bernard for 400.00 and a gasket set for 80.00 ya got yourself a new plant, hopefulloy the rotary faces arent all scared from metal fragments and the brass gear survived the lock up your good to go.I do 3-4 Rotary Rebuilds a winter 1000.00 plus your own labour your back in buisness

Berns sled blew a plug then just quit like yours out on the ice... We hauled it home and ripped it apart and this is what you will probably find when you get the piston out of yours...

Fan belt was slipping so no cooling or little engine cooling on the clutch side means an overheated engine, specially when going through the slush out there.

piston001.jpg

piston002.jpg

piston003.jpg

Ordering the parts first thing tomorrow and should be back up and running by Wednesday...

You may already be familiar with these folks skeeter, but if not their a snowmobile dealer/repair shop on Kennedy Road. I used to buy all my snowmobile clothing from them years ago, but never had any repairs done there.

They've been around for alot of years though, so they must be doing something right and would possibly be able to help you out if your unable to do the repairs yourself.

http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/i..._image_both.jpg

EDIT>>>>>

That link I posted doesn't seem to work but just type Snow City Cycle into Google

would it turn over once it cooled off,tell ya powering thru that slush is tough on them ,those Rotary 500s are tough,but nothing lasts forever,300.00 for a set of 20 thou Wisecos ,80 cyl to bore em ,get a crank from Adrien Bernard for 400.00 and a gasket set for 80.00 ya got yourself a new plant, hopefulloy the rotary faces arent all scared from metal fragments and the brass gear survived the lock up your good to go.I do 3-4 Rotary Rebuilds a winter 1000.00 plus your own labour your back in buisness

[/ your better off going with millenium in the states for a crank..too many horror stories from ad bernard..dealt with him once and that was my last time!!

btw maybe you have water in your gas?

jeezuz those pics show what happens when it overheats big time!!!

Skeeter,

Don't just throw a new top end in it. Make sure you find out why it blew.

If it was lean could bean air leak in the seal, intake boot.

Did you pull the plugs and see what they looked like?

Coould also be an oil pump going for a sheeeeeeet.

Lots of used stuff around as mentioned before.

Good ole sleds. wrenching is fun

Bryan

wrenchin is fun if you have a place to do it but i live in an apartment.

and i dont have the repair manual for it as they havent made one yet.

so im sheet out of luck.

Broken sleds double as a very nice coffee table yanno!

I'm sure Miss Kelly won't mind, she seems like a very understanding young lady to me!!! ;)