New Bass Fishing Techniques Needed

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, I found myself outside this morning staring at my boat and wishing it was July. It got me thinking about bass fishing and I have a few questions.

I have always been on of those guys who uses 2-3 baits and nothing else. The lake I fish is a resevoir, with very little structure. When I fish it, I consistently throw yum dingers and tubes rigged weightless at the few logs and stumps that are in the lake, and although I catch some decent fish, I know I could catch way more. The lake has some huge weed flats that run from shore out to about 6-7 feet of water (depending on how late it is in the season). I know that there must be tons of fish burried in those weeds, but I have always been reluctant to go after them, simply because I am not confident.

So....to make a long story short. I am looking for suggestions to target the weeds. I do have some jigs and trailers, but to be honest, I really don't know how to fish them. Do you target just the weed edge, or should I be chucking them in the middle of weed flat and working my way out to the edge? How slow/fast?

Any suggestions on what I can try differently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Topwaters crankbaits and spinnerbaits try fishing fast first to see if there any aggressive fish around if not slow down let the fish tell you how they want the bait presented

I always use a fast moving bait to pick off the easy biters then go back over with a jig and pig or texas rigged worm or tube flippin open pockets in the weeds and edges for those less aggressive bass

I haven't targetted bass for alot of years, but I used to do well twitching minnow baits on the surface over & around pencil reeds, lilypads, rocks & stumps, so that may be worth trying around those few stumps you mentioned.

A favorite bait was a blue & white Rapala and after tossing it towards the structure I'd just leave it sit for maybe 15-30 seconds then give it a few very light taps and let it sit again, then start twitching it back to the boat.

Early morning & sunset were good times and it was even better when the water was calm. I never really got into tubes or any other plastics for that matter, infact I found it sorta boring, but top water strikes are always alot of fun.

Something for you to think about anyways.

A plastic frog, snake, or rat thrown on top of the weeds will get them. You'll need heavy line because you bring in several pounds of weeds with your fish.

Throwing a Buzzbait around the weed edges can produce some heart stopping strikes!!!

I beleive that snake bait in the video is a Origional Fishing Snake. I like to work them much slower than they did in the video but they do indeed provide lot's of topwater bites and endless action. All i have caught on them so far are lot's of largemuth(biggest at 4.8lbs), and 2 pike on them(22", and 30")

http://www.bassprofessor.com/

If you can, find them and give them a try!

Not intending to hijack, but I have a question for Mike, two questions actually.

First off, how do you hook those fishing snakes? Seems to me the hook is embedded close to the head and my thoughts are, it would lead to a lot of short strikes/missed fish.

Secondly after watching the video several times I feel as though the action might get fish excited. Are the scented? and lastly did you order them online or pick them up at a store?

Not intending to hijack, but I have a question for Mike, two questions actually.

First off, how do you hook those fishing snakes? Seems to me the hook is embedded close to the head and my thoughts are, it would lead to a lot of short strikes/missed fish.

Secondly after watching the video several times I feel as though the action might get fish excited. Are the scented? and lastly did you order them online or pick them up at a store?

Good questions. This bait is texas rigged with a 5/0 Custom VMC Wide Gap Hook. I had to order them online through the website. I made the mistake of throwing them on 12lb mono last year and missed lots of far distance strikes in the pads. This year i got some 20lb braid so the bites i get should turn into fish caught. Very good baits and a jerk,jerk, pause action works great. They have a scent on them but it's not water based so it comes off within few casts...i just re apply Yum Scent. There also very stretchy, and can stretch out to about 30".

You can see the hooks they come with (2 black, 2 red) have a longer shank witch keeps the hook secure in the head of the snake

ScreenHunter_08Jan251402.jpg

There is a pre made hole under the head, put the hook through and finish the texas rig.

ScreenHunter_09Jan251402.jpg

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

A lot depends of the type of weeds and how thick they are. You can flip to the open holes in some with a jig and pig, or flip in a soft plastic bait rigged weedless Texas style. Some soft plastics will sink with just the weight of a good strong 4/0-5/0 hook, senko type lures.

Some flats you get a gap between the weeds and the surface, a crankbait that runs just above the weeds can work well, even if you are catching the weed every once in a while just rip it free, looks like a bait fish darting from cover.

Spinner bait can get through some of the Kelp looking weeds in some areas up there, you can develop a feel for the lure working through it. Unless there are open spots a conventional spinner bait might not be much use, but a short arm that you can let flutter down jig style can work

Picture the weeds as a tree, bushy at the top and a stem at the bottom, you can punch through with a heavy jig to more open water below, generally need a 3/4 ounce or heavier jig to do it but it also can work.

Caught bass in places you couldn`t see the water, too many weeds and or lilies on top, a scum frog or similar bait dragged across the top, the bass will blow thru the weeds to get it, wait till you feel the weight of the fish on to set the hook.

If the weed aren`t just a mat on the surface one of my favorite ways is a 6 inch lizard rigged Texas style with just enough weight to allow it to settle slowly when stopped, I swim it across the surface of the weeds slowly and allow it to settle into any small pockets.

All kinds of surface lures can work if the weeds aren`t too thick, just a matter of picking one to match the cover, obviously a buzzbait may come through some easier than a hard bait with a couple of trebles dangeling.

Jig and pig in cover sort of goes from a forward progress lure to an up and down movement lure, shake and wait.

Outside edges of weedbeds are places I don`t pass up, a million ambush points for bass and other species. Best results are with a lure you can keep in the water and weed free.

I never move into the weeds with out fishing the edge first and there is no real telling where in the weeds there might be a bunch of bass. Quiet movement can get hits right next to the boat. I like to drift through them, used the electric motor if I had to, but tried to avoid it.

You can`t catch fish in the weeds unless you make a serious attempt at it and see what works for you and be willing to experiment. Caught bass pitching a floating Rapala to open spots and twitching it, jigging a grub on a jig head in tiny openings. One of my favorite spots to lose big pike and skis on the same lures.

I tried dropshotting for bass for the first time last year. I was fishing in 10ft of water with weeds to the surface. Used a big jig on the bottom and swimbait up about 18". Caught a decent largemouth on the swimbait. Found it hard to do from a seated position in a kayak though. Search the forums for "dropshotting". I'm sure you'll find half a dozen discussions.

I would definitly add a spinnerbait to your arsenal. It is great for targetting the edges, and over the top, of weed beds. Some folks don't have confidence in them because they don't look like any kind of bass forage, but there is a reason that virtually every boat in a tournament will have spinnerbaits tied onto at least one rod. You can burn them fast over the tops of submerged weeds, fish them slow along the edges, and drop them into pockets in the thicker stuff.

Texas-rigged plastics (tubes, craws, worms....) are another great way to fish the weeds. If you have enough weight, they work just like a jig. Ohiofisherman describes is well: think of the entire weed bed as a "forest" and think about where the bass will be waiting to ambush food: under the canopy, along the outside edges, and along any edge (at vegetation shifts and pockets) in the thick of the "forest".