Quest For Quinte Walleye

solopaddler

After chatting with my buddy Fergie we decided to make the long drive out to Quinte yesterday.

I had contacted Sam at Carra Sports (DT10Sam on the board) on Wed afternoon. I didn't feel like freezing my :asshat: off, so arranged to rent a portable hut for the day.

We arrived at Sams bright and early at 6am, made our introductions, settled up and were quickly on our way.

(Sam is a very decent guy btw, with a pretty cool store :) ).

We were told it was no problem driving out on the bay in our vehicle. I mulled it over and decided to go for it in the end. The fear factor was pretty high at first. Not fear of drowning, but more fear of Joanne's reaction if I was faced with having to tell her the truck was on the bottom of Quinte. (Potentially drowning is much more appealing :) ).

Anyhow here we are driving out in the pre dawn darkness. There was enough snow on the ice that you would not want to attempt this without 4WD.

Quinte2009001.jpg

We were quickly set up and were fishing by 7. Don't know why Ferg chipped in for the hut...he fished outside ALL day. (Crazy hardcore bugger :D ).

Quinte2009003.jpg

It was super toasty in the hut once I set up:

Quinte2009004.jpg

Unfortunately for us the fish weren't cooperating though. We both marked good numbers of larger fish on our flashers, but only managed to ice 2 all day long.

Quinte2009005.jpg

Quinte2009006.jpg

Quinte2009019.jpg

We both lost a few as well. I had 2 (one pretty decent) half way up to the hole before they shook off.

We did manage to ice a bunch of these guys:

Quinte2009020.jpg

Not what we were after, but hey a fish is a fish right? We brought about 30 home with us for a date with some peanut oil :thumbsup_anim: .

About halfway through the day a C.O. stopped by to check for licences. :thumbsup_anim:

Quinte2009008.jpg

Amazingly he was going to give me a ticket 'cause my licence was in my wallet in my vehicle 100' away from where I was fishing. :blink:

Give me a break! After I plead my case with him he gave me a stern lecture and let me off with a warning. :rolleyes:

Shortly after that encounter an MNR tech showed up to do a creel census and measure our fish:

Quinte2009009.jpg

Nice enough chap..... (I did find out from him where the best action has been the last week or so ;) ).

A pretty decent day indeed despite the lack of big walleye. T'was a loooong one though. Up at 2:30am, home by 10:30pm.

I'm just a bit slow today LOL!

Cheers, Mike

good job of finding some eyes! At least you werent skunked! Should of offered the CO a beer, and maybe he would have ended up forgetting to check for licenses! :lol::angel:

You definitly have a nack for taking some good shots!

thanks for sharing.

Good day all in all Mike, even with the long hours. I knew sam from trapshooting several years back. Great guy and definitely worth checking out his store.

Jigging rap has been good to me as well, tipped with a minnow. Nice to see your stradic getting double duty on the ice as well. My 1000 size stradics get used all year long. Great reel.

Glad to hear the CO gave you a break in the end. That would have been a hard pill to swallow for sure.

Also nice to see you fishing walleye, although there are no pics of you with one. :ph34r::clapping:

Edited by BenBeattie

Very nice, Mike. A very interesting looking lure fooled your walleye and jumbo perch, and I thought they were only for lakers! Got any more of those?

They work great for lakers through the ice as well. You know I've got a pile of them! Let me know what you want...

Nice going solo. I'm assuming you guys went out from Pt. Anne, and fished somewhere in big bay?

I'm heading out there next week. Feel free to pm me the location with the most action :)

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

solopaddler it was a pleasure to meet you lads,both you and your bud are hard core fishermen,i knew the eyes were there in good numbers but like i told yas the darn things are looking but not eating :wallbash: .

i think you left a orange jigging rapala in the hut.

take care and if ya want ill send you the jigging rapala

Hawg Hunter

Real nice report and pics!!!

I heard thru the grapevine that the BOQ Wall-ice will be shutting down for next weekend until Sinker has gone/left... any truth to this rumor??? :dunno:

Glen, you've got it all backwards my friend. They are going to be shut off until tuesday, then on wed, they're going to be so hungry, I'll have to hide behind my hut to bait my hooks :canadian:

Just wait and see :)

Sinker

Nice report Mike. I have plans to get out next weekend assuming the homework cooperates. But once i get to Belleville i have about a 15 minute drive to point anne if i stop at Hortons lol. All that driving can throw your game off lol.

Those are some nice 'eye tho.

-Dave