coyotes , don't leave much behind

waterwolf

heading out to meet up with a buddy to hit lake st.lohn orillia for some pike action.

heading east out of bolton on king road i first notice a huge part of a fied is turned upside down

with a small dark spot right in the center. the closer i get i understand what has happened.

road-kill deer just off the road about 40 yards . i couldn't believe how many coyote tracks there were.

even the crows would have a hard time finding a bite. long tines on that spike horn . it snowed 2 days

before so it didn't take those jackals long to clean this deer to the bone. wish i was close by when this happened ,

what a waste . i have a lot of guys asking for a "treat "of deer meat ,, hey man ,, it goes fast to many hands,, i have

to say "no" to most , sorry , it wasn't a moose ,,but i'd be like santa if i had that one on ice :thumbsup_anim:

dead_deer.jpg

Yep, the yotes around here are just brutal too.

A buddy of mine arrowed a nice buck, went to get some help to drag it out, an hour later came back and his deer was very similar to the one in the pics!!! Its amazing how fast they'll devour something that size.

I'd love to be sitting there with a 22-250!!!

Sinker

And to think that people think we are cruel because we hunt and kill animals. Personaly i would rather be shot than tore apart by coyotes. I bet that buck has been there for a few weeks since he still has his antlers on. I think most have dropped them a few weeks back.

no ,, you could see where the deer dropped in the ditch ,,got up moved further into the field ,then finally expired , then was surrounded by coyote tracks. like i said it snowed 2 days before this deer was hit . you wouldn't see any of this 2 weeks prior to the collision.

this took place on jan 10.

Edited by waterwolf

We came across a couple of deer heads ( last years fawns)a few years backs on a family stroll thru a wood lot .

Literally thats all there was , just the heads . within a 100 yards we found a couple of legs , peices of rib cage and TONS of Coyote tracks.

TB

If the wildlife are eating the wildlife if is it a waste? I don't so... There is worse things then coyotes on wildlife populations, they just happen to be really good at adapting and exploiting situations. They scavange along roads and things FOR the road kill. better it go to them then rot.

However, coyotes eating you deer would be a real .... annoyance.

As far as the antlers go, i heard from a few people who have seen them with racks still attached late this year.

-R-

no ,, you could see where the deer dropped in the ditch ,,got up moved further into the field ,then finally expired , then was surrounded by coyote tracks. like i said it snowed 2 days before this deer was hit . you wouldn't see any of this 2 weeks prior to the collision.

this took place on jan 10.

Oh cool jan 10th . So almost 2 weeks ago like i guessed :thumbsup_anim: I agree with ramble, atleast the yotes made use of it instead o it rotting in the ditch.

I heard a couple years back about a buddy hunting around the gravenhurst area that they shot 2 deer and had them hanging on the meat pole and the next day they wolves ate the back ends out of them . As far up as they could reach standing on their back legs was gone. Now thats just mean !!!

And to think that people think we are cruel because we hunt and kill animals. Personaly i would rather be shot than tore apart by coyotes. I bet that buck has been there for a few weeks since he still has his antlers on. I think most have dropped them a few weeks back.

theres still a few nice bucks kickin around with their head gear on still. some lose them really early while some have them much later than "normal". saying a buck has been dead for a few weeks just because he still has his rack would not be correct. theres a 3 month span when they usually shed...

scavengers are a great thing and the bush would be full of rotting carcasses full of bacteria if it werent for possums, coyotes, crows, etc.

theres still a few nice bucks kickin around with their head gear on still. some lose them really early while some have them much later than "normal". saying a buck has been dead for a few weeks just because he still has his rack would not be correct. theres a 3 month span when they usually shed...

scavengers are a great thing and the bush would be full of rotting carcasses full of bacteria if it werent for possums, coyotes, crows, etc.

i was just on the 407 on monday near oshawa, nice buck still carrying his rack in an open field with a doe at about 10;30. being up high in a 5 ton truck offers a great view i sometimes miss from the seat of my pickup.

the waste i'm refering to is the fact that it was killed by a car and no one got to enjoy some great steaks . [except for coyotes]

nature's incredible in all aspects , these scavengers may not be pretty to some but i agree ,the roles they play are important to the whole balance of the eco system.

Dont forget the Martins and fishers and the kingfisher and the Ravens .

Just adding a few others ch312.LOL

It amazing how you hear a shot and few minutes later you hear the ca ca swish swich of wings.LOL

My friends wife arrowed a deer in manitulin island. She hit it far back so they went back to camp for a snack and went back for the deer about 3 hours later. Instead of following blood he told me that he was following deer parts. Pretty brutal! The deer was toast but so was a yote with his 223 lol

3 hours later a deer has disappeared ,, i hate to say that ugly word but maybe ,,,,, bounty!! shouldn't loose wild game to coyotes .

don't know about others but , hunting deer is a big financial strain on our family budget . the tags , the equipment , the gas ,, you guys know what i mean .. a full freezer is a great accomplishment . a decent rack on the wall would be a true testimony, real