2006 Ranger 175vs

Stoty

Not trying to impress anyone.

It's been a dream of mine since I was about 7 to have a Ranger.

I am not in the financial situation to be able to get one.

I couldn't care less what people thought of me or my boat!

No, I don't need a fancy boat to catch fish, but it will sure be nice!

the hull imo shouldnt have any stress crack issues....with a 115 I dont think it can go fast enough to pound hard enough a simple but hard look should tell if the hull was ever repaired,

I beg to differ.

I could of run my 18ft ranger with the 115 hard and pounded the Simcoe waves,but choose not to. But,there are others that would not give it a second thought.IMO

Dont forget the pounding the transom takes aswell.

Not trying to impress anyone.

It's been a dream of mine since I was about 7 to have a Ranger.

I am not in the financial situation to be able to get one.

I couldn't care less what people thought of me or my boat!

No, I don't need a fancy boat to catch fish, but it will sure be nice!

Chill dude. I was once like you too. I have learned though. Took me a few years but I have come to the thinking,I would like a bass fishing,laker fishing,whitie fishing,perch crappie fishing boat,with riggers. Cant do that with a bass boat.Well you can,but cost ya a pretty penny in fuel and upgrades.

AH HE LL LIVE YER DREAM KID,I DID.

Edited by misfish

I'm fine....(the joys of not being able to hear a person's tone online).

In all honesty....I have no interested in laker, whitie or rigger fishing.

I do bass/walleye/pike/musky/panfish, in smaller lakes.

I don't hit up Erie or Lake Ontario.

Kawartha chain mostly.

This is my ideal boat.

Then...once I get an SUV...I'll look into a 21ft'er.

Questions are regarding the condition of the goods being purchased, not whether or not it will run Rice Lake in about 13 mins flat, LOL.

"ANiceGuy" has offered to come with me to look at it, which is AMAZINGLY generous of him!

I talked to the guy on the phone tonight, and he seems like a really nice guy.

Answered all my question very thoroughly, and knew what he was talking about.

His dad owns the marina near his house, so all the maintenance was done through him, so its been well taken care of.

I feel good about the deal so far! :thumbsup_anim:

Regardless of whatever takes place. Take it to an independant mechanic for an overview.

There was a thread here recently about a snowmobile. Remember that?

Just because it isn't too old doesn't mean it wouldn't have some serious hours on her.

Maybe the kid got a "special deal" on an engine the customer wanted a refund on.Not likely but it's a major investment.

Get your moneys worth.

Sorry Jamie.. but I'll never buy a mechanics car! Oh..sorry to you too Bernie ! lol

OK Wayne I admit my truck doesn't always get the TLC it used to. But that's merely cosmetic. It receives a generous undercoating and regular servicing. Just because the guys in the shop call it the "toxic waste dump" doesn't mean I don't like the old girl. :whistling:

He also said that if I brought the attachment with me, we could possibly start up the engine so I can hear it run (depending on the temperature).

My buddy has the attachment, so I am going to bring it with me.

So between running the engine, and having "aniceguy" with me, that should hopefully give me a good idea about the quality of goods.

I would have a tough time dropping 17k on a boat without actually water testing it...

Rabbit ears or a garbage pal full of water wouldn't likely show any issues if the engine had them anyhow.

Edited by BillM

just go with your gut feeling and dont let anyone scare you off the boat you want.Seems like you did your home work so feel good in the decision you make. I drove 10 hours to buy my last boat in march with out even hearing it run. I think you asked a fair question about price and ect. so i dont know what all the grief is for. If this is what you want and everything checks out to YOUR standards buy it.

just my 2 cents

Stoty give Paul at Top Gun Marine a call and ask him about that motor and what to look for. Maybe ask him what it would cost to have one of his mechanics check it out or maybe he knows someone in the area the boat is located.

Stoty take a guy with you that knows boats,if you can get a comp gauge you can check it yourself (warm it up 1st!!).Give the boat a good look and pull the cowling,pay close attention to the block gaskets and heads on ALL bolts,does it look like anything has been pulled apart/replaced or bolts with chipped paint or marred?This will tell you if it's been worked on,if it hasn't you can run it for piece of mind but as said that doesn't really tell ya squat except it starts/idles/revs,not how it runs under load etc..You are wise to ask the owner lots of Q's and pay attention to responses,sounds like you found your rig,G/L with it if you get it.

Thanks for the tips Hirk.

I will be sure to take a good look at everything.

I'll let "aniceguy" go in with a fine tooth comb! hahaha.

Thanks again for any/all help from everyone.

I didnt think this thread would be over 1,100 views, lol.

Hey Stoty. Just for the record. I have an 06 Merc 115 4 stroke.

They were made by Yammy until the beginning of 07 or half way through, I can't remember. Either way, my 06 Merc is a yammy.

It is bulletproof. I have not had 1 issue with it at all. So if this dude has taken care of it, you will have one fine motor on your hands.

I do not know haw fast it will push that fiberglass boat. I have a 17.5 foot aluminum full windshield jobby and I can get 45 or so out of it, depending on the prop. Stainless would be a bit quicker.

Good Luck man.