Auger VS. Chainsaw ?

cityfisher

Hey all,

I was planing to get a power auger this year but since the season was so late and other $$ issues Ive held off for now.

My dad has a chainsaw laying around and wondered how a Chainsaw fairs against the ice ? I know some hut operators use it to make there ice hut holes but never seen DIY ice fisherman useing a chainsaw to make smaller holes

Good idea to bring it VS my manual auger ??

that or a spud was the only way to cut a hole when I was growing up

you get damn wet using a chain saw and as the ice gets thicker it's not as easy as one would think to get the big piece of ice out of the hole or to push it down and over..auger is the way to go

Edited by Terry

I watched a couple fella's messing with a chainsaw on Lake Joe last year ... not only were they making a heck of a racket for about half an hour ... because the ice was so thick they really were having trouble ... and getting soaked ... IMHO it actually looked more than a little dangerous .... but was god for a laugh since nobody got hurt .... but seriously ... I cut six 8" holes in half the time they cut their two and stayed dry and quiet through it all. Also ... a lot easier to transport the manual auger

I've seen, and heard, the chainsaw method.

Extremely messy and wet. I would think the oil gets in the lake too.

I have a 10" power auger and it's the best thing for thick ice and/or quick holes.

......and I don't get wet. ;)