looking at getting a round baitcaster

modny

can any of you musky guys steer me the right way?

i want to put it on my shimano bob izumi 7'8 xtra heavy rod

i dont want to break the bank either

i was looking at the bass pro shops brand reels. like the gold pete maina musky reel

any suggestions?

I don't know what your budget is, or what the sale price is, but the Shimano Cardiff CDF 300 and 400 are normally about the same price as the Pete Maina reel. If the BPS reel breaks down you might be able to get it fixed...Or you might not. The longer it lasts the poorer the chance that there will be parts available.

The Shimano reel can be repaired at any time in Peterborough.

I would get the Shimano.

The Abu "C" series are a very old design. They sit high in the reel seat and aren't as stiff as the more modern one piece frame designs. On the other hand they are cheap and if you keep them oiled they will last a long time. They can also be repaired easily when they need it.

The Pete is a nice all round reel.

It will cast a country mile and constructed well enough for trolling.

Just one thing, the lubes they use is poor.

I change mine too hot sauce grease and Lucas oil treatment.

The C4 I do not like. Very poor ring and pinion.

change the bearing to apec 7, still didn't help.

Something happened to the drag and now the reel is at the bottom of the lake.

the Cardiff wears to fast throwing heavy baits.

The anti-backlash pawls have a tendency to jam after heavy hook sets.

The C3 all I used them for is Salmon.

The C5 is a better reel in my opinion.

I think Carbela's or Bass Pro in the states have them on sale.

The Pete is a nice all round reel.

It will cast a country mile and constructed well enough for trolling.

Just one thing, the lubes they use is poor.

I change mine too hot sauce grease and Lucas oil treatment.

The C4 I do not like. Very poor ring and pinion.

change the bearing to apec 7, still didn't help.

Something happened to the drag and now the reel is at the bottom of the lake.

the Cardiff wears to fast throwing heavy baits.

The anti-backlash pawls have a tendency to jam after heavy hook sets.

The C3 all I used them for is Salmon.

The C5 is a better reel in my opinion.

I think Carbela's or Bass Pro in the states have them on sale.

so a pete maina reel is good as long as it put some new lube in it?

I've had 3 of those Maina reels and I'd say they are so so at best. Only reason I bought them was the price. I actually bought 2, but had to return one for defectiveness and that s how I ended up having experiences with three. On the positive side i returned it practically no questions asked. Either that means they have great service or they 've had lots of returns and pretty much expect it to be faulty. Personally I won't buy another. A few months back I bought an Ambassaduer "Record" at LeBarons (because I was tired of the Maina practically falling apart in my hands) for $175 and it has been well worth the money. This is the best musky reel I have owned...having said that it is also the most expensive I've bought. 2nd best I've had would be the Ambassadeur 6500 which is basically the reel everyone owns (at least those who want to spend around 100.00). My advice is get the Ambassadeur for basically the same money rather than the Maina, or spend an extra 50.00 or so and get the "Record". I'm glad I did, the Maina's are basically retired from my box.

The problem with lower end Muskie reels is that if used hard they will not last. If you are going to do abit of Muskie fishing no problem, you start spending lots of time chasing them and throwing big Bucktails and Jerkbaits they will break. You get what you pay for...If the Pete Maina is on sale I'd grab one, they come in 2 gear ratios, 4:1 or 5:1

yea like

i dont plan on exclusively hunting big muskies with the reel

i'd proll use it for trolling aswell.

but with all this chat, i might look for a an abu

i guess i'll check the classifieds.

Edited by Micropterus hole

If you'll back off on the "frosting" and spike gel... you could afford a nice Shimano Calcutta!!!

Don't listen to this guy -- not sure if he has anything to do with the free time in his life but pick fights on internet messageboards.

I would get the 6500 (or 6501 if you're like to reel with your left and hold the rod with your right). It is very solid, proven, and maintenance is easy as pie. There are other reels that offer a smoother experience but i love my 6501.

Don't listen to this guy -- not sure if he has anything to do with the free time in his life but pick fights on internet messageboards.

OH NO!!... don't tell me you're still pee-pee'd off aboot my replies to your Mucksie Hammock thread???

... 'cmon now and give us a big hug and we'll forget aboot all that! :wub:

Edited by GCD

OH NO!!... don't tell me you're still pee-pee'd off aboot my replies to your Mucksie Hammock thread???

... 'cmon now and give us a big hug and we'll forget aboot all that! :wub:

huh? no idea what you said about muskie hammocks. Just not sure what your opinion of that guy's hair style has anything to do wth his question about musky reels.

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

Anyway, i would get the 6501. Its a very solid, cheap (or value-priced) and fantastic reel. Only downside is that its a high gear ratio and low power....the bigger double bladed inline spinners are probably a little much for this reel.

huh? no idea what you said about muskie hammocks. Just not sure what your opinion of that guy's hair style has anything to do wth his question about musky reels.

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

Well, considering the abuse Mr. Microp has taken from me in earlier posts aboot his hair style in his avatar... and he hasn't changed his avatar, I just take it for granted that he's kinda like me and likes the abuse. ;)

... it was a friendly exchange, and not really any of your business.

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands to worry aboot how much time I have on my hands. :rolleyes:

IMHO, get a used shimano calcutta or a used daiwa luna 300 on ebay. if you're lucky you can get for about 100-150. those reels (especially the calcutta) have been tried and tested for years and are incredibly reliable. you can always upgrade the drag and bearings later too. the luna was to be daiwa's calcutta killer. i never had one, but i've only heard good things about it. my calcutta is 15 yrs old and is still very smooth and those reels only have like 3BBs too. the tolerances are very tight.

I think the pete maina's are crap...maybe i shouldn't say that...you get what you pay for...it's probably on par w/ the shimano cardiff. my bro got two cardiffs, and the quality is shoddy.

personally, i would try to get a round reel that's cold forged aluminum, meaning it's been carved out of a chunk of metal, instead of one that's been molded. the specs are much tighter. I have an abu c4 too and i love it. i upgraded to a power handle and it's been fine, but my calcutta still casts better. you will pay more but in the long haul its worth it.

for me, i'm keeping my eye out for a 08 or 09 curado 300e. that's supposed to be the best low profile muskie reel. i've got small hands, so it'd suit me.

anyway good luck, happy reel hunting.