Baitcasting Rod

diggyj

My wife was nice enough to buy me a new baitcasting reel for my birthday. Funny thing, I didn't even ask for one. She bought me the new 2009 Shimano Citica 200E.

Any recommendations for a versatile rod? Want to be able to throw big baits but also want to use it for flipping and casting plastics.

Thanks....DIRK

Bass Pro brand rods go for 1/2 price several times a year. The one I got cost me $20. I am not saying it is a great rod but for $20 there is no crying if it breaks while doing something sill, I like using it...I am happy.

I also have a Shimano Compre medium action medium rod......it is also nice....$50 and no crying :P

In a few months Bass Pro will have that spring show thing they have every year.

forrest

Edited by forrest

What you want to do really requires several different rods,you can compromise and do everything with one but I would suggest you narrow down the techniques/application you will use most often and then select the quality/action/length best suited.

Seeing as you are not flippin i would probably opt for a 7' m or mh. I have recently been leaning toward the longer baitcasting faster rod compared with the conventional 6'6" mh.

I like the extra length and flexibility for crankin, spinnerbait and jerkbait fishin. As long as I don't have to fish the slop. If you do fish slop go for the heavy option.

just an opinion though.

If you're at all interested in throwing crankbaits or spinnerbaits, you should consider a Shimano Crucial Crankbait rod. I use the 7ft med/heavy model and it casts like a dream. The crankbait specific model has much more 'whip' than the standard crucial which makes it easy to huck lighter lures, and the slower tip helps with hook ups. For the price you can't go wrong with crucials.

Thanks Drew.

Would the Crucial Crankbait work well for Senkos and Tubes and other soft plastics? Drop Shotting? I would hate to buy the wrong rod. Right now I have 3 Shimano spinning reel and rod combos.

DIRK

Edited by diggyj

Diggyj,

As with any baitcasting set-up, the biggest issue that most people come across is being able to get any distance when casting lightweight lures. Fiberglass crankbait rods, and in particular, the Shimano Crucial crankbait rod (which is TC4 - not pure graphite), tend to have a bit more 'give' to them, which I find allows you to cast further, compared to a stiffer, regular crucial rod. I've got a couple of the med/hvy models in 7ft and they can cast 1/4 ounce lures no problem (matched with a high end baitcasting reel).

If you're interested in this rod, pick up a crankbait model in one hand and a regular crucial in another and shake them, you'll see what i mean when I say more 'give' and more 'whip'.

This rod is excellent for fishing crankbaits, plugs, spinner baits, and even top water. The slower tip, however, will make it more difficult to detect subtle hits and feel bottom, so this rod isn't perfect for senkos and for light tubes, but it will work.

I hope i haven't confused everyone, good luck with what ever rod you choose. I'll just say that if you're not looking for a flipping stick, this is a great baitcasting rod to go with, especially if you like making the long casts. Leave the senkos and tubes for spinning outfits.

-Drew

Edited by Drew_10

Diggyj,

As with any baitcasting set-up, the biggest issue that most people come across is being able to get any distance when casting lightweight lures. Fiberglass crankbait rods, and in particular, the Shimano Crucial crankbait rod (which is TC4 - not pure graphite), tend to have a bit more 'give' to them, which I find allows you to cast further, compared to a stiffer, regular crucial rod. I've got a couple of the med/hvy models in 7ft and they can cast 1/4 ounce lures no problem (matched with a high end baitcasting reel).

Leave the senkos and tubes for spinning outfits.

-Drew

....Bingo! :thumbsup_anim: