Tranny Oil cooler question

Fishn Technishn

Bought an 08 Ford Escape recently and put a Class III hitch on it and paid the dealer to install the hitch plus a transmission cooler.

Took it in for 1st oil change and lo & behold...no oil cooler. Now the dealer says that the 08 has upgraded cooler built in and an add on cooler is not necessary. Says they will add the cooler if I insist or give me some $$ back if not.

Boat package weighs in at 2200 lbs with out all the gear.Any experience/opinions?

My 1st thought is that you can NOT have too much cooling while towing. Last thing I need is to blow the tranny on my way to the cottage.

Thanks for any/all replies

FT

An automatic transmission can never run too cool. They pulled a fast one on you.. with YOUR money. That said.. my F150 has a towing package on it and it doesn't have an "extra" tranny cooler. Hasn't been an issue pulling my 2150 Baron with the trucks little 4.6 V8 Triton engine... but the tranny has numerous gears.. for each gear to keep the torque up to the rear wheels.

Edited by irishfield

i added one to my silverado z71 4x4 AFTER i blew the first tranny, i would have one installed if i was you and also i'd do something about the guy saying he put one in and didnt :o , a swift kick in the nards usually does the trick <_<

wow just did a google on this topic and loads of people saying that ford added trans oil cooler because the CD4E trans were failing in escape's? i havent looked here yet but everyone should try AUTOMOTIVE FORUMS.COM for loads of info on your specific vehicle...one guy said that the dealer 's quote was 650 to install the oil cooler because they had to remove the rear bumber? he went to U-haul and the did it for 49 parts and 66 bucks labour?

Edited by BUSTER

i havent looked here yet but everyone should try AUTOMOTIVE FORUMS.COM for loads of info on your specific vehicle...one guy said that the dealer 's quote was 650 to install the oil cooler because they had to remove the rear bumber? he went to U-haul and the did it for 49 parts and 66 bucks labour?

Remove rear bumber? Maybe remove the front bumper, I can see that.

Guest skeeter99

get under the truck and check the lines coming off the tranny

alot of manufacturers now use the rad "yes your rad that you put antifreeze in" it is usually on one of the side of the rad in the containers but dont worry it does not mix with the antifreeze

I know on my truck that is were it is and most manufacurers now only give you an external cooler if you choose the extreme duty package

they are not as effiecient in cooling the trans fluid down but are better than nothing , but and external is the best

and to get a tranny cooler installed should be mo more than $200 - $250

a good cooler is usually $80 - $120 plus cost of install and no more than an hour to install

Remove rear bumber? Maybe remove the front bumper, I can see that.

yip sorry front bumper , not sure why isaid rear bumper?I have a 2008 Escape LTD with a tow package. I want to haul my boat (2400 lbs with trailer). DoI need a transmission cooler as I live in hilly PA? My Ford dealer says they can put one it but have to remove the bumper to do so and want $650.00 to do it. Can one be installed for less without removing the bumper

Edited by BUSTER

I had a 2002 Ford Escape with towing package. It not only came with a tranny cooler but also a engine oil cooler where the oil filter spins on.

I towed a 3000 lb pop up trailer out west for 6,000 miles going over the continental divide twice reaching 10800 feet. To do this I added another tranny cooler and and a tranny temp gauge to monitor the tranny fluid temps. While climbing over the continental divide I held the gas pedal to the metal for about 1 hour and never went over 23 miles per hour. The tranny fluid reached temps of 280 degrees which is twice the regular temp of 140. To add a EXTRA tranny cooler it's about $150 to have someone do it. You do NOT have to remove the front bumper.

The main thing with the Ford Escape is to JUST drain and refill the tranny fluid every 6000 - 8000 miles. This is easily done while doing the oil change. It takes exactly 1 gallon of tranny fluid if you just drain and refill the tranny. I had a Ford Escape Forum site that recommended this and it really worked. The trannys are the weakest part of this power train.

I found the site and you will find this place VERY helpful for info on Ford Escapes or similar models that Mazda and Mercury make.

http://www.escape-central.com/1forum/forum....php?forumid=14

Edited by Billy Bob

I would definitely add a cooler, there is a built-in cooler on some vehicles but its just barely enough to do the job so it never hurts to add an extra proper cooler if you tow, and NO automatic coolers don't run too cold, they are designed that way, the fluid only starts to circulate through them when hot,

I don't know where you live but in GTA there is a place called Metro Transmission,(Kingston Rd/Danforth) I had one installed on my Chev Astro a few years back for $150 total, took them less then an hour to complete the job, honest people and they do a good job.

Don't forget to do regular Transmission fluid changes even if you have a cooler, I always replaced the transmission fluid once a year, never had a problem.

I also bought an F-150 with the tow package and it does have a tranny cooler...for me, it's piece of mind knowing that I have that extra cooling...

I was under mine today Steve.... looking for what belt driven item is screaming and a cracked exhaust manifold... and I do indeed have an extra tranny cooler in series with the built in rad cooler and also a cooler for my engine oil. Hidden up underneath and can't be seen thru the grill.

It has been a long time since I owned a Ford product and never bought any new, late 60`s Mustang, 77 t-bird and 78 cougar given to me by my brother and mom both had tranny failures, after the rear bumpers fell off. Older Ford station wagon I owned(another dirt cheap special) also died of tranny failure, one of the reasons I don`t usually buy ford products unless they are dirt cheap.

Towed a lot of boats with cars and vans, fords mentioned never towed anything. Never had a tranny failure on any of my other vehicles not racing related(stick shift cars). None were 2200 a a package though.

My last 3 vans have been Chevy astros or GMC safaris, none came with a tranny cooler, all have engine oil coolers, lines runs from the base of the oil filter to the radiator.

If I had records showing I had paid for a tranny cooler and didn`t get one? Better Business Bureau would be my first step.

In the Dealer's defense, they sent it out to a Hitch shop to have the trailer hitch & cooler installed. Did a great job on the hitch...just "forgot" to add the cooler. Buddy of mine at the dealer showed me on the 'puter that the shop did indeed charge the dealer for it. I guess the dealer's guys never thought to check! They were a little RED in the face when I brought it to their attention. They have been straight and up front about it. I just didn't want to put one on if it was indeed not necessary.

After all the advice...it will be going in shortly to have a cooler installed!! :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks

FT

Careful with coolers, don't get one too large. There is a reason they run the coolers though the coolant in the radiator. If your fluid becomes too cold in frigid temperatures it is possible the fluid becomes so cold it thickens to the point it restricts the flow through the cooler system and your trans could overheat.

Edited by Bernie