Lure Suggestions

MCTFisher9120

Ok there has been some confusion but im glad it happened. I was previously just posting up my Rapala lures but came to the conclusion that not just Rapala bait's work. I am asking as a shore angler (occasionally fishing from a boat) who mainly fishes for bass but will be trying for some musky and pike next year, what other lures that i need to have in my tackle box! I know i need some spinnerbaits,frogs, and bass jigs so can i get some suggestions on different lures and items i need to get in the box.(Sorry rich i only have 5 spinnerbaits :whistling:)

ScreenHunter_01Dec292036.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Dec292036.jpg

ScreenHunter_03Dec292037.jpg

ScreenHunter_04Dec292037.jpg

ScreenHunter_05Dec292038.jpg

Thanks again and im sorry for the many threads on the same topic.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

That's a fine collection your have in your tackle box :thumbsup_anim: but have you ever tried Cotton Cordel's BigO..... Bass just go nuts on them and is one of my favorite lure to use on any lakes..... I've caught pike, walleye and bass (SMB & LMB) on a medium white color and chartreuse..... Also you may want to add the Hula Popper in black color for your surface artillery.

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

More Buzzbaits. I do all my Bass fishing from shore and I can't get enough of them. we all have our favourite lures that we swear bye, so hears mine u can get'em at walmart too, If they don't work you can personaly blame me and charcge me for the lures, I am that confident you will have sucess with them, get fishn my friend, well when the season roles round :P

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;currentpage=1

It's a long link but it works, I tried it :D

More Buzzbaits. I do all my Bass fishing from shore and I can't get enough of them. we all have our favourite lures that we swear bye, so hears mine u can get'em at walmart too, If they don't work you can personaly blame me and charcge me for the lures, I am that confident you will have sucess with them, get fishn my friend, well when the season roles round :P

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;currentpage=1

It's a long link but it works, I tried it :D

I agree with you on the fact that buzzbaits work. I used that white buzzbait i have for a evening last year and with lot's of line out i got a nice bite...but using 12lb mono I think the hook set ended up barely getting the fish but man it was a big fish...i rushed to get it in and about 10ft off the end of the dock i saw my lure come spitting up out of the water at me and the huge back of a smallmouth bass swimming away...man i will never forget that feeling of seeing my papa on the dock to the right of me shake his head when the lure came out of the water. What a sad fleeling this was, so as you suggested i will try my best to get another buzzbait or two ;)

YOu seem to have more than enough fish imitating lures in your box. Fishing from shore I would try and stay with as many floating or shallow diving lures as possible. As someone who has fished from shore my whole life, I heavily recommend buying some Mepps Spinners. Get a whole bunch of Mepps Comets. I think it's #4's that I like, the ones with the fly-like material on the hook. Catch every species of fish you can cast to. Pike, pickerel, sm bass, lm bass, white bass, gar, crappie just to name a few that I have all caught either in London or within 30 mins of London this year with that bait. My favorite bait by far.

Oh so Pretty !!! who knew those lures would be models for a photo shoot " WORK IT WORK IT !!!!!!!!! " Nice looking collection going on there..... One thing i could suggest is a getting some spinner baits wih the loop to tie to like your big guy at the bottom ... When fishing for pike and I have a leader on I always find that with those open loop ones my leader runs up the shaft 1/2 of the time and its a waste of a cast .

SO now that you have a good collection of lures ,, whats your rod collection like? :whistling:

SO now that you have a good collection of lures ,, whats your rod collection like? :whistling:

It's slacking right now... :( I did not have the money this winter to get a 3rd rod so i turned to this restocking process getting line,lures,soft plastics,hooks etc....Right now im trying to maxamize what i got and that is 2 rods(yup never did get that baitcaster) I have a 6'6 Izumi Signature series medium action spinning rod, and with that i have a 4000 Shimano Sedona and some 12lb Trilene XL. My second rod is a 7' BPS Mega Tournament Series medium heavy spinning combo, this combo has 20lb braid on it and from time to time i will be using fluoro leaders while fishing clear water.

I think these two rods work out nicely but i don't like using spinnerbaits and buzzbaits on these rods(just does not feel right) So my plan still is to get a 7' M/H baitcast combo, but for that to happen i need to find a PT job.

Shhh don't tell everyone i only have 2 rods :)

Mike, I wandered around in the dark fishing ponds during the week days because the were the closest bodies of water to my home until I hit the mid 30`s and moved close to Lake Erie.

A back pack is the way to go, tackle in the backpack 2 rod in one hand and one hand free. Works in the day time too. Most back packs will hold a few plano boxes, 3600-3700 series, should be all you need to hold your tackle for a trip. Throw in a pair of needle nosed pliers, flashlight, clippers, a pocket knife.

Fishing from shore for bass? Plastic worms, plastic lizards you can riq texas style, I carried a mix 4-8 inch, purple, black and junebug, those colors seemed to be the best producers any where.

A couple of buzzbaits, white, black, and if you want mix in a chartruse one. 1/8 and 1/4 ounce, ones that I use have a twisted eye, and I can`t remember who made them, but more compact than most and sort of a spoon shaped head that glided over weeds and lilies easily.

A couple, few? top water baits, zara spook, heddon torpedo, jitterbug? Your choice try and get ones that make a different sound- action coming across the water.

Jig and pig, whether you fish them in the traditional style or swim them thru cover they work.

Most of the ponds here are bowls, you usually have to get a decent cast from shore to hit deeper water 6-10 feet, might be different in your area though. Shallow or medium running crankbaits, I used Manns -1 Bandit 100 and 200 series white, chrome and black, silver and black, mix in a green or bluegill color.

Rapala floaters were a twitch bait for me, cast let sit a while and twitch, seen bass just seem to float up behind them and strike on the twitch.

Flukes are another good surface bait, rigged weedless you don`t have much trouble working them thru cover.

Johnson Silver minnow with a pork frog trailer, old school but works. Keep it on the surface a little flutter in the pockets.

Blakemore road runners, just a funny styled jig, but they also work, I used a grub trailer on them and later made my own, 1/8- 1/4 ounce.

The soft plastic lures are pretty versatile, I have often used an unweighted lizard with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook as a surface bait, just let it settle slowly down as it hit open pockets in weeds. You can do the same with a tube or worm.

Some of the places I fished were a pretty good hike off the road-railroad tracks, a backpack made it a lot easier.

keep it simple young grasshoppa.

dem der fancy minnow baits are nice & all but, for bass fishing, many will argue your best friends are the tube for smallies and the jig & pig for largemouth. #3 mepps black fury has also been known to catch all kinds of fish. you've got lots of poppers, try out a different style of surface bait (ie. jitterbug). as mentioned, spinnerbaits are another great lure.. unfortunately many manufacturers went to "R-Bend" (not closed loop) style SBs in bass sizes. If you can find some that are closed loop, get 'em. By far more durable.

invest in a good rod & reel. a 4000 series reel on a medium action rod is waaay too much reel for bass. a 2000 or 2500 series will be more than adequate.

ohh yes, less talk more fish. get them lures scratched up.

Edited by Raf

keep it simple young grasshoppa.

<snip> as mentioned, spinnerbaits are another great lure.. unfortunately many manufacturers went to "R-Bend" (not closed loop) style SBs in bass sizes. If you can find some that are closed loop, get 'em. By far more durable.

<snip>

Raf has the crux of it.

But I disagree somewhat on the closed loop, I find the closed loop only good for attached a wire leader, otherwise I find the R-bend better. Less durable for sure, but I think they transmit vibration better and more importantly, I've broken off some very nice fish when the line got stuck in the closed loop area during a hookset. It's hard to explain how it happens, but it is a combination of the cast and the angle the fish takes the bait from. It is an infrequent occurrence, but it happened to me in a tournament on a 5 lber I saw take the bait and once on a pike that had a waist bigger than mine! :)

Charles

But I disagree somewhat on the closed loop, I find the closed loop only good for attached a wire leader, otherwise I find the R-bend better. Less durable for sure, but I think they transmit vibration better and more importantly, I've broken off some very nice fish when the line got stuck in the closed loop area during a hookset.

that's an interesting take charles, didn't consider folks tieing directly.

99.9% of the time, i've a wire or fluoro leader attached via a snap & the r-bends don't stand up to even small pike.

Totally understandable Raf considering the toothy species you target... :)

You won't find many bass guys that do not tie direct. Not sure if it is just being hypersensitive or not as I'm sure bass are dumb enough to eat it regardless of the hardware used to attach the bait, but just in case...

Charles

You have plenty of hard baits for targetting bass. If I were going to add anything to that collection of hard baits, it would be some shallow-running cranks: bombers, Rap DT4s....something to bang cover with.

One thing to think about if you are primarily shore fishing is castability. I would add a couple of casting spoons - little Cleos are my faves, but lots of them work - to your arsenal. They cover water as well as a spinner bait, and you can throw them farther than just about any lure around. If you are fishing weeds, trade out the treble for an offset worm hook and T-rig a worm, grub or fluke: presto! a weedless spoon that will reach fish farther away than just about any lure you can throw.

You can significantly increase the castability of those buzz-baits by removing the skirt and rigging a grub, plastic frog, or fluke onto the hook.

Raf has the crux of it.

But I disagree somewhat on the closed loop, I find the closed loop only good for attached a wire leader, otherwise I find the R-bend better. Less durable for sure, but I think they transmit vibration better and more importantly, I've broken off some very nice fish when the line got stuck in the closed loop area during a hookset. It's hard to explain how it happens, but it is a combination of the cast and the angle the fish takes the bait from. It is an infrequent occurrence, but it happened to me in a tournament on a 5 lber I saw take the bait and once on a pike that had a waist bigger than mine! :)

Charles

Jigger already said it but I have to agree, R-Bends are no problem. Go to your local electrical/electronics supply store and buy some shrink wrap tubing. Cut a small piece and fit it onto the wire at the bend, heat it with a a hair dryer or heat gun and your casts will no longer be fouled by your connection moving on the wire of the bait.

Someone else mentioned tubes as well. In brown and smoke coulours filled with a round head jig they work wonders on water that contain goby's. These are one of my "go to" baits for bass on Lake Erie.

Lastly if you are going to fish worm style plastics don't forget about employing the carolina rig, especially in weed beds. Just shorten the leader if casting from shore.

Good luck and tight lines.

Dan