Delete

MCTFisher9120

you need more #8 slashbaits for smallies. have you used these lures before? they all look brand new, mine are all destoryed haha all scratched, changed hooks, nothing left of the tail feathers lol. you also dont have any silver/blue ones. i found the silver/blue xshad rap killed the bass in the spring. also start getting doubles of the top producers.

Mike,

4 major hardbait styles I see missing are a walking bait (Zara Spook, Lucky Craft Sammy) and lipless rattle bait (Rattlin' Rap if it must be a Rapala - but I like the Megabass, Lucky Craft LV500, the new SK Red Eye Shad, the original Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap, Cotton Cordell Rattlin' Spots - they're all good and I have some of each because I am a sucker for buying stuff I don't need), another style is a deep diver (Rapala DT series is very good lots of variety to choose from) and finally a wake bait or super shallow runner. The Manns 1- was the original in this style and I still have lots of standard, mid and baby 1- baits that still produce.

There might be a few I'm missing, but it gives you some ideas on how to flesh out our tackle selection.

With that said, what you have is a good start and maybe it would be worth your while to master what you have rather than get obsessed with having every type of bait. I have probably thousands of dollars of stuff that never gets let out of the tray which is such a waste. Unless you feel a need to experiment, use what you have confidence in and master it and you will find your fishing time is more effectively utilized. Also, various clubs in the area will have tackle swaps in the coming months, if there is one in your area, consider buying used. Change out the hooks and the lure will be like new. The more scratches and bite marks on it the better. If you buy used it hurts the pocketbook a lot less once a dirty slimer comes and bites it off on the first cast. :)

Good luck and have fun shopping,

Charles

Mike,

4 major hardbait styles I see missing are a walking bait (Zara Spook, Lucky Craft Sammy) and lipless rattle bait (Rattlin' Rap if it must be a Rapala - but I like the Megabass, Lucky Craft LV500, the new SK Red Eye Shad, the original Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap, Cotton Cordell Rattlin' Spots - they're all good and I have some of each because I am a sucker for buying stuff I don't need), another style is a deep diver (Rapala DT series is very good lots of variety to choose from) and finally a wake bait or super shallow runner. The Manns 1- was the original in this style and I still have lots of standard, mid and baby 1- baits that still produce.

There might be a few I'm missing, but it gives you some ideas on how to flesh out our tackle selection.

With that said, what you have is a good start and maybe it would be worth your while to master what you have rather than get obsessed with having every type of bait. I have probably thousands of dollars of stuff that never gets let out of the tray which is such a waste. Unless you feel a need to experiment, use what you have confidence in and master it and you will find your fishing time is more effectively utilized. Also, various clubs in the area will have tackle swaps in the coming months, if there is one in your area, consider buying used. Change out the hooks and the lure will be like new. The more scratches and bite marks on it the better. If you buy used it hurts the pocketbook a lot less once a dirty slimer comes and bites it off on the first cast. :)

Good luck and have fun shopping,

Charles

Great suggestions and advice however i was only looking for for advice on rapala lures to get, i have other brand's of lures in my box but this is just my rapalas. However the lures aside from the rapala's you suggested i do not have yet, thanks and i will look into these baits in the future.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Thats a nice collection you have got started .... What does the rest of your riggin look like ? might be time to start workin on a spinnerbait collection if you havent got a huge one already ... every bass fisherman needs like 100 right? ( hoping the g/f reads this so she will let me buy more ) haha

Might just be me but the time to buy more of a certain lure is after you have had success with them, it`s too easy to become a lure collector, boxes full of lures that you have had no particular success with.

One outing on one body of water isn`t the way to go picking lures, and there are lures with a history of successful outings. eg, jitterbugs, hula poppers, johnson silver minnow, heddon torpedos, smithwick devils horse, rattle traps, storm wiggle warts, bandit 100 200 300 series, rapala shad raps heddon sonars. A lot more, and some of one style will work better than the exact same lure of the same brand.

A lure with the paint beaten off means it catches fish! Something about the action of that one lure that triggers strikes. If your fishing in waters with pike with one of your go to bass lures put a steel leader on, pike like bass lures and you don`t want to lose proven winners.

Again just my view is you want to be able to strain the water for fish, be able to cover a variety of depths with lures that have a history of success. Some of the best ones maybe the most inexpensive, the soft plastic baits and jigs. Fished lakes where it looked like a noisy surface lure would be the ticket at night and a plastic worm or lizard actually caught the fish. Don`t be afraid to mix things up.

Hard to beat time on a particular body of water, but some things work more often than not.

Might just be me but the time to buy more of a certain lure is after you have had success with them, it`s too easy to become a lure collector, boxes full of lures that you have had no particular success with.

One outing on one body of water isn`t the way to go picking lures, and there are lures with a history of successful outings. eg, jitterbugs, hula poppers, johnson silver minnow, heddon torpedos, smithwick devils horse, rattle traps, storm wiggle warts, bandit 100 200 300 series, rapala shad raps heddon sonars. A lot more, and some of one style will work better than the exact same lure of the same brand.

A lure with the paint beaten off means it catches fish! Something about the action of that one lure that triggers strikes. If your fishing in waters with pike with one of your go to bass lures put a steel leader on, pike like bass lures and you don`t want to lose proven winners.

Again just my view is you want to be able to strain the water for fish, be able to cover a variety of depths with lures that have a history of success. Some of the best ones maybe the most inexpensive, the soft plastic baits and jigs. Fished lakes where it looked like a noisy surface lure would be the ticket at night and a plastic worm or lizard actually caught the fish. Don`t be afraid to mix things up.

Hard to beat time on a particular body of water, but some things work more often than not.

In that case my go to lures would be the green tubes, dingers and both the gold and purple ghost x-rap...used them last year lot's and had lots of success....but i managed to get them snagged so i had to replace, the others have been items that others on the site have had some success with, so why not try them out and see what happens. Try out new things and this time next year i will not need to get as much, just replace the lures that have worked wonders.

I was thinking that you only buy Rapala crankbaits. I make a decent living and and can't afford all the "missing" lures.....I must have a few hundred at this point. 90%+ have not touched the water.....a bit of a waste. It is an arms race gone bad.

Whenever I shop I find I do not have enough lures. Whenever I fish I find I have too many lures. If you must get more I think you need some moldy oldies in there to go with that new plastic.

forrest

kind of sounds like you don't need anymore Rapala's since you already have two go to x-raps. I'd suggest a Excaliber wake bait, a rattlin rap and maybe a walk the dog type topwater bait (I think rapala has these). I also like Charles idea about swapping lures , could save alot of money.

Both to Charles and Paul.

Great replies.

Not much more to offer then what they did.

I always buy/replace what I know works. Not much into paying and trying, and finding out it,s a crap colour/lure,but t Im sure theres that one time, when it will get that monster of a lifetime.

Example is,an angler I fished with in the Barrie pro Am won big fish with a gold spinner bait. I bought 3 different ones and have yet to catch a single fish. Luck,maybe,but I have done well with what I use,I think anyways.

Brian, a few advantages to fishing with people in tournaments, you get to see what they are using, how they are using it, how they approach different situations on the water, weather, wind, water levels and color, and their dang spots they like to frequent.

LOL caught a l/m bass on a gold erie dearie once, I had already thrown every thing else in the box at them and it was about the only thing left, sort of surprized to get a l/m on it but I think it went for the plastic worm trailer?

Spinner baits? White. Chartruse and white, chartruse and blue, fire tiger. The black ones I bought long ago for night fishing only seemed to catch fish during the day, and not often.

Gold chrome finish crankbaits worked well on Lake Erie for walleye and smallies.

Brian, a few advantages to fishing with people in tournaments, you get to see what they are using, how they are using it, how they approach different situations on the water, weather, wind, water levels and color, and their dang spots they like to frequent.

And for that I am very greatful for.

It would help to know what kind of waters you fish mostly and if you are shore fishing or fishing from a boat. If I'm shore fishing a heavily weedy bay, I'm packing way less than if I'm fishing out of my boat fishing a variety of situations and structure. Either way, I've downsized my tackle to maybe 3 or 4 trays on a given outing. Also, I'd way rather carry two rods shore fishing and carry what works in a backpack than carry one rod and have to continually fetch my schoolbus-sized tackle box which I brought because I needed to have every lure I have on hand because I MIGHT need them. Everytime you pick the box up is a cast missed and time lost (-1 casts). You might say the same about having to pick the other rod up. But if you have a confidence lure on, every time you switch rods is time saved having to change a lure actually giving you more fishing time(+3 casts).

i will need too make another thread with all of my lures and wire baits :blink: so i can get some more suggestions on baits im missing out on, thanks for the advice and i was looking for just more rapala's at first but now im thinking on getting info on all kinds of lures and baits....but please i do not want to need to show my soft plastics now :P