Replica vs. Skin

diggyj

:huh::huh:

You don't neccassarly have to murder it ,, just leave it out of the water for an extended peroid of time :P:P

Sounds like some people I know and their hook removal skills! :rolleyes:

fireball Posted Today, 06:35 PM

I think, when I finally catch my 24" smallie, that I'm going to take a nice side-view pic of it and then have the picture blown up to life-size and then hang that on the wall.

I don't have any skin mounts or replicas in my house, never have.

I do have a considerable amount of pics though, and that's all I need!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I feel that a pic captures the moment far better than a mount or replica.

Just how expensive are these pieces of art anyway?

Jim

my musky was just over $400..and that was a great deal actually..it was around $7/inch, plus the driftwood log it is mounted on and an engraved little plaque with my name,date and location caught ect

don't have any mounts myself , being mostly a c&r fisherman , but i think seeing a great fish on the wall knowing it 's

still alive out there would be a decent feeling .

iced a decent pike last sunday 34 in. or so [no tape ,fishin' solo] fought like a freight train, felt just as good releasing that wolf.

rep.'s get my vote.

visit advanced facilities if you any questions ,they'll walk you thru the whole process ,show you some amazing mounts you'd swear were just pulled live from the lake .

lie 'bout the fish you got mounted?? ,, who could look up at that everyday just to remind yourself you're a liar??

that would suck.

Skin mounts are fine!... if you don't mind murdering large and very old fish for doing nothing other than biting you bait and giving you their best fight for their life... all for your own vanity.

....ooooh, a tad harsh Glen. In my case not all of the mounts are large (old fish) and the meat was saved for consumption in four of them. The other two, a pair of large cohos (male & female) were destined for a non productive spawn and certain death in a few months from capture. Any good taxidermist will save the meat for you if you ask or as in my case I removed it myself. First thing I asked myself (and so should everyone) in each case was "could the fishery support the removal/harvest".

As for vanity well I have a mirror. :D

I think if you want the most realistic mount, go for a skin mount, but make sure your getting a good taxidermist! :P ... but if your looking more towards just having a fish mounted, then go for replica! Lots of replicas look pretty realistic... if you want though the most realistic replica, that all depends on you! For a realist mount, you want to get the exact Measurements, get many pictures of the front, back, n sides of the fish, Give all that information to your taxidermist, and you should have yourself a very realistic replica! :)

FISHYSISHY_008_resized_55.jpg

This is the replica of my salmon...cost was roughly $ 700.00 and the original fish was the guest of honour at a fishfry ...not only did i enjoy catching him but 15 people enjoyed eating him ....

As for preference on "real deal" or "replica."...i can only associate this with real boobs or breast implants....who cares....they are both satisfying either way ...i dont have a problem looking regardless

Thats replica bait in his mouth....

Edited by Twocoda

Check out Advanced Taxidermy's web site and have a look at some of their replicas. www.advancedtaxidermy.com

Skin mounts deteriorate over time and look awful after a number of years on the wall.

When I decide to get something mounted there's no question it will be a replica.

I have a skin mount for a 11lb 8oz Pickeral from 1983 ... still my Personal best (and not from Quinte - it was from Calabogie) ... it still looks awesome ... and fresh ... and real... it was done by the now deceased "best in world" Jack Wilson .. so perhaps I am basing my opinion on a rare breed...

I also have a 1lb 10oz Speck which was done by Advanced about 5 years ago .. it looks Speck-tacular (considering its a fake) ... but personally the skin mount looks and feels more authentic .. the replica (even though the fish was sacrificed to the cause) ... just doesn't look as real... but thats just me.