Dull blades

molson

Here's a tip from IceShanty..

If you have a dremel, here is how you can make your auger razor sharp.

Get some chrome polish (I use simichrome I think it's called) and put some of that on a small fabric buffing wheel.

Then use your dremel and the buffing wheel should turn so that it is turning away from the auger blade.

Simply run this off and along the top of the auger blade (only do the top side, NOT the bottom as you don't want to alter the cutting angle any) This will make your blades razor sharp.

I have a cheap mora 8 inch hand auger and it just rips through the ice.

I've used other augers with brand new blades and nothing comes close to this.

I just use the polish to take the oxidation off of the blades every other trip or so.

If your blades are already dull, it might be best to start with a new set and then do this as maintenance.

i asked this very same question a year ago on this site,, trying to save a few dollars. the advice i went with was the new blade approach.

the aggrevation versus the cost ,, no contest. the thought of another perfect day ruined on the ice because those blades were less than razor sharp will never happen again . new blades every season . depending on how many holes are cut each year.

that dremel idea does sound interesting though . i'd try my handy-work close to home before goin' on trip , that angle gets screwed, 4in. of ice just became 3 feet.

Yep, just replace them. I replace mine every season whether they need it or not!! Can't beat new blades.....and they're usually not too expensive!

Sinker

almost costs more to get them sharpened as it does to buy a new set at wally world either for power or hand bombers a good time to pick them up is at wal mart in the spring they go on clearance i have enough 8" and 6" hand auger blades to last a lifetime went down to 7 50 a pair on clearance last spring

the other is to use vaseline on them after the ice ice season keeps them good till spring same as the hockey skates!

I drill hundreds of holes every winter and I just couldn't imagine replacing the blades everytime they get dull or I hit a rock/bottom. At 40-80 holes per day (per field trip) you can understand how expensive that would become. I touch up the blades after every use (20 holes or so) even if they are not too bad. Dull blades make for a hard day of tough drilling. Sharpening them is easy. A good file should be part of your ice fishing kit.

Guest gbfisher

:P

buy new ones OR bring along your sharpener so you can fix it up...every hole.

OH....and don't mind the guy next to you who has cut 15 to your 5.....or the fish he has on the ice already..... <_<

If ya want to TRY and sharpen them. TRY but buy a spare set anyways and bring some tools to change them out on the ice... :D

I don't know about you but I drill LOTS of holes in a days worth of fishing. Nothing worse than a DULL BLADE after 40 holes... :w00t:

I guess I should add....When you do buy new blades.

Don't let others use your auger....lol...... :whistling:

Dont hit the blades down hard on the ice when you are drillin. Starting and stopping while yer drillin isnt good for the blades.

Don't touch your baldes.....thats a given.

Replace the cover after yer done.

Your blades will last a good couple seasons. :D

Edited by gbfisher

i must say that at that price i just had to buy a few new sets as spares i put new ones on every season and keep them there and carry a spare set in my fishing pack along with tools to change them and definatley do now how to sharpen them as well as knives axes chainsaws its a part of my job i likely sharpen 20-30 axes and pulaski's every month 10-15 chains and am now trying to get the hang on sharpening with diamond stone. its much more difficult as for holes i use a hand auger once we get about a foot of ice until then its a chisel which gets sharpened after each day of use and as for number of holes depending on what i'm fishing if out on a small lake for speckle trout i only use 1 line all day and make swiss cheese out of the ice until i get on the fish i've come to figure with the 6" auger i'm about one turn per inch of ice thats with shimms in the blade i touch them up as i start to notice dulling and have an ample source of files and stones, while sitting around the house watching some wild tv or wfn i often sharpen my knives to pass the time and it definatley is good to know how to sharpen them but the question was where can i get them sharpened so i would just rather buy a new set for the price i paid before paying to have them sharpened was all.

I get 300-350 holes per set with my 6" hand auger...the trick is to oil them when the day is over. Don't bang the auger on the ice and never lend it to someone else. Change the blades with new ones every other season at the beginning. The cost is minimal, don't bother trying to sharpen them waste of time. B)